Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mudski,

Thanks heaps.......
    EGR blocked, Needle and Dawes installed. Eventually managed to get the piping correct with your PM.
    Max boost i am getting now is 16PSI, and temps look great. Need to go foa long ride now and see.

Must say that my initial thoughts are WOW... very responsive and feels great.
    Now need to tackle that PLASTIC in front called radiator......

Will post up a new thread on it....

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beucam For This Useful Post:

DOG (6th October 2014), Hodge (31st May 2014), mudski (9th June 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a good feeling Beucam. Feels like a different car doesn't it?
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a newbie here and think this is a great thread with great info, but after reading all the differences between 2.8, 3di, 3crd and 4.2 I am probably more confused now than I thought I was (i'm no mechanic but want to do the best by my truck).

I think I might need to PM you Ferret (hope thats ok) to get the definitive on what to do to my 2012 3L CRD, but am thinking I don't want a blanking plate with a hole in it, would be like having a new bucket with a hole in it eh??

So I am thinking a blank plate (no hole) and a scan gauge connected to my OBD2. The bit I don't get is the stuff about turbo boost levels and Dawes valves and VNT (do I need that??). Sorry if that sounds a bit dumb but I just want a simple fix without having a cab full of gauges etc. I am hoping the scan gauge can give me the readings i need.

If there's an idiots guide for us CRD owners I'd be most appreciative.

I've read the thread a couple of times and just hope I'm moving in the right direction, cheers all, Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bindi View Post
    I'm a newbie here and think this is a great thread with great info, but after reading all the differences between 2.8, 3di, 3crd and 4.2 I am probably more confused now than I thought I was (i'm no mechanic but want to do the best by my truck).

I think I might need to PM you Ferret (hope thats ok) to get the definitive on what to do to my 2012 3L CRD, but am thinking I don't want a blanking plate with a hole in it, would be like having a new bucket with a hole in it eh??

So I am thinking a blank plate (no hole) and a scan gauge connected to my OBD2. The bit I don't get is the stuff about turbo boost levels and Dawes valves and VNT (do I need that??). Sorry if that sounds a bit dumb but I just want a simple fix without having a cab full of gauges etc. I am hoping the scan gauge can give me the readings i need.

I've read the thread a couple of times and just hope I'm moving in the right direction, cheers all, Mark
    PM sent mate, cheers, the ferret.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

G'day Bindi. I'll tell you what I know and what I've done from my experience, as I've been in the exact position as you after I bought my CRD.
    First thing I searched was, do CRD's need a EGR block. I searched this forum as well as a few other forums and lots of googling, and most answers were, yes it does. But then there were a few people saying no it doesn't as it does nothing on a CRD for various reasons. So I sat on it for ages, deciding whether I should or shouldn't blank it.

What really kicked things into motion for me, is when I seen a bunch of CRD's at wreckers opened up, and at around the point where the EGR enters the block, was all caked up, and the cylinders near by, 3&4 from memory, were a completely different shade of color due to heat from the EGR.

So I decided to just get it done and while at it, I'll get the dawes and needle valves fitted. After installing it all, I began kicking my self for NOT doing it earlier. The whole power scheme of the car changed. It had plenty more power and a nice smooth turbo spool up. The EGT's drastically dropped, because the EGR was blocked and there was now more boost flowing through system. The fuel efficiency changed too. Happy times all around!

Some issues I've had...
    After blanking out the EGR, my car stalled several times for few hours after fitting the plate. But then it fixed it's self. Cannot explain why that happened, and as far as I've researched nobody else around here had such an issue.
    The car now throws out an error code P0401. This is because EGR is blanked. The engine light doesn't come on, but P0401 comes up on my scangauge. I don't bother resetting it, because it only comes back minutes after I turn the car on again. And as far as I know the codes doesn't alter anything, it's just there to let you know something is up. No harm done.
    My car has power mood swings. It's had this before and after fitting all that up. It's something with the turbo spool up, which I'm yet to work out. But, Mudski helped me out here heaps in fiddling with the needle valve to get it spot on. It's now been a week since we tampered with it last, and the car is still going good. Fingers crossed.

My personal advice is get that thing blocked asap. At minimum get in touch with mudski and get the boost control bits sorted out, the patrol will thank you for it. He is the man to talk to. The only other thing I should mention, is, your patrol is 2012, so I'll assume it still has warranty. If and ever you need warranty stuff done, I'm not sure how nissan will react if they see the bits you've tampered with it, especially the EGR block as it is after all, illegal.

My 2c !
    2005 TD42TI

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

00marshall (4th February 2017), bindi (1st June 2014), DOG (6th October 2014), Ibbo (22nd June 2015), mudski (1st June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hodge, appreciate that, I'll be in touch with Mudski.

So I am definitely going to get a blank plate, and wonder if it will be safe to wait until the patrol is out of warranty before I fit the dawes valve?? Or am I going to still get turbo boost issues bad enough to negatively affect the running of the car (I will be towing a caravan).

Cheers!!!!
    Last edited by bindi; 1st June 2014 at 02:15 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you need to take the car in for warranty repairs just take the plate out...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (1st June 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hodge, appreciate that, I'll be in touch with Mudski.

So I am definitely going to get a blank plate, and wonder if it will be safe to wait until the patrol is out of warranty before I fit the dawes valve?? Or am I going to still get turbo boost issues bad enough to negatively affect the running of the car (I will be towing a caravan).

Cheers!!!!
    The other thing I forgot to mention, is the dawes & needle boost control, and EGR block go hand in hand. Once you drop the plate in, your boost spool up goes up a bit, so you will want the boost control to compensate for that and adjust it accordingly. And the OTHER thing to mention is, you will need a EGT and boost gauge installed to read whats happening under the hood, as without it installing any of the above mentioned stuff will be next to impossible.
    2005 TD42TI

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

00marshall (4th February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, and just looking at the scan gauge 2 and the spec states that when connected to the obd2 port that it provides a monitor of turbo boost levels. It would be great if could also monitor EGR temps too. Does anyone know if it does this, as I'd really prefer to avoid having extra gauges fitted to the A pillar?

My objective here is to have a well monitored car, but also one which I can take in for any service/warranty work without having to remove loads of stuff. Much easier to just remove the scan gauge and blank plate/dawes etc.

Does anyone use the scan gauge for boost level monitoring and EGR temps?

EDIT: JUST FOUND THIS ON THE SCAN GAUGE WEB:

There is currently no ATF Temperature X-Gauge for any Nissan vehicle in Australia. Linear Logic is currently experimenting with different codes. Also EGT and Engine oil Temperature gauges are NOT available.

SO I have my answer I think, pity it won't do EGT, and oil temp would be real handy!

Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by bindi; 4th June 2014 at 10:25 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bindi For This Useful Post:

DOG (6th October 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After more searching of forums and googling I am still a bit bamboozled.

I think for starters I'll fit a scangauge2 and see what is happening with turbo boost etc before any mods. Then I'll do an EGR block, but hang off with the dawes valve and additional gauges until I see whats happening. I would have thought that the EGR temp would go down with the EGR block, but please correct me if I have this wrong.

And again my apologies for being a bit of a wally in the engine knowledge dept!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bindi For This Useful Post:

00marshall (4th February 2017), DOG (6th October 2014)

Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast