User Tag List

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocking the EGR Valve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is that any engine that has EGR, it should be done away with or blocked.
    Blocking the EGR on your NA TB42 shouldn't be a problem, you just need to convince the ECU.
    Cheers, the ferret.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Only heard being good for turbo diesel only, but PM the Ferret
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

the ferret (17th October 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John, I hope you are feeling much better too by the way.

I think as said a moment ago, you don't need the crap buildup in any engine if it contains carbon from the exhaust, petty or diesel.
    Cheers, the ferret

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

threedogs (7th November 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Up date in Heres Johnnie
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question; After reading all the negative comments on here regarding EGR, I find I must ask the question, are all DIESEL powered vehicles today fitted with this system ?
    I KNOW, my 2006 ST I 3 liter Patrol IS, I also KNOW my son's 2000 Toyota Prado is also fitted with EGR, I also KNOW my mates Puegot sedan 2004 is also fitted with EGR, therefore the question I have for all posters on here,
    IF, EGR is the evil it is claimed to be here, for the long levity of our engines, how come all these other manufacturers vehicles do not suffer from this system as it is alleged our Patrols do ?
    There are literly thousands of vehicles inculding large trucks running around with these systems fitted in Australia and Europe, yet it would appear, operate perfectly.
    Why the disparigity with Nissan Patrol engines ?
    Is it just Nissan Patrols that suffer from this system ? Seems a bit strange if it only applies to Nissan .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to itchyvet For This Useful Post:

DOG (9th December 2014)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course being a Nissan forum, it is forbidden to mention other brands that may or may not have better designs...

I would be interested in the answer too from someone with more authorita than 'my mechanic mate'

Anyway I remember hearing my mechanic mate saying it does affect other brands too.

Unfortunately because of the grenade issue, everyone is being cautious, walking the higher moral ground - however that applies to engines. Given the way the grenade problem manifests itself, blocking the egr both makes sense, and takes one more factor out of the engine going "BOOM"!

Tipsy-tap

11. The Following User Says Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

DOG (9th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can tell you mate, is that the EGR system was introduced as an environmental thing.
    Just about every modern engine is fitted with one, even the petrol motors.
    Time will only tell if these trucks as you say are operating perfectly as long as they would without EGR.
    All engines breathe and earlier engines vented the crankcase to the atmosphere however, the environmentalists in their wisdom decided it was better to burn it.
    So what happens is that the carbon and soot from the exhaust is routed back into the combustion chamber via the EGR valve and inlet manifold.
    This in itself is bad enough, but add to this an oily vapour from the PCV going also into the inlet manifold.
    This tar like paste adheres to the inside of the inlet manifold and after a while begins to restrict the cool airflow to the cylinders.
    Now the engine is running on borrowed time due to the extra heat and can cause piston and head failure as well as other damage.
    Yes, the ZD30 DI has a bad reputation for grenading, I am inclined to think that the whole structure of this motor leaves a lot to be desired.
    It's not uncommon for a TD4.2 to do half a million Ks, even with EGR, but I don't think many ZD30s have.
    Blocking the EGR is your choice, I would recommend it, as well as a catch can.
    Thankyou for listening.
    Cheers, the ferret.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

DOG (9th December 2014), Ibbo (22nd June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itchyvet View Post
    Question; After reading all the negative comments on here regarding EGR, I find I must ask the question, are all DIESEL powered vehicles today fitted with this system ?
    I KNOW, my 2006 ST I 3 liter Patrol IS, I also KNOW my son's 2000 Toyota Prado is also fitted with EGR, I also KNOW my mates Puegot sedan 2004 is also fitted with EGR, therefore the question I have for all posters on here,
    IF, EGR is the evil it is claimed to be here, for the long levity of our engines, how come all these other manufacturers vehicles do not suffer from this system as it is alleged our Patrols do ?
    There are literly thousands of vehicles inculding large trucks running around with these systems fitted in Australia and Europe, yet it would appear, operate perfectly.
    Why the disparigity with Nissan Patrol engines ?
    Is it just Nissan Patrols that suffer from this system ? Seems a bit strange if it only applies to Nissan .
    The simple answer is that while all modern diesels do operate with some level EGR, the ZD30 uses very high levels. Peugot do have their problems also as do many other manufacturers, but the Nissan ZD30 was designed to be a very clean burning light diesel and it even won an award back in 1999 or 2000 ( I can’t remember exactly when) for being the environmentally cleanest diesel engine to date and this was due to its M-Fire design and extremely high levels of EGR.

If you remove the inlet manifolds or throttle bodies from any light diesel engines you will see similar results, but in most cases the carbon build up is dry which results in less accumulation. Therefore while it’s still corrosive, it doesn’t block the intake manifold runners as severely. In our case with much higher levels of EGR and excessive oil contamination due to a poor crankcase ventilation system, the wet or greasy buildup is much more excessive causing uneven intake air distribution, resulting in uneven fuel mixtures and we all know the result of that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

DOG (9th December 2014), threedogs (4th November 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just going out to do this to mine now.lol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the CRD models need this as well?
    GU series 7, 3" lift EFS Elite with Dobinson springs all round, Dual Batt, roof rack with side awning, Safari Snorkel, Scan gauge, TaipanXP 3" SS Vortex Exhaust, Cross Country Intercooler upgrade, Dawes Valve, Stage 2 TaipanXP Chip, Catch Can, blocked EGR.

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast