Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Rossco I remember a while ago us trying to sort out a speed correction for the GQs. I actually just check with Patrolapart and got this response from Aaron. I got quoted $75 for the part needed, part number 3270331G16 for a 16 tooth.

"As for the speedo, you can change the gear on the end of the speedo drive in the transfer case.
    Just slip yours out, count the teeth, then buy the tooth count that will change it approx. 20% which should be 2 teeth different to what you have."

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    I came across an article listing the different gears V tyre changes somewhere, will try to dig this up - might have even been on here?. Changes being stock to 35" tyres is a single issue, and 10% gear ratio change in 5th a different one - not sure you can achieve the speed change conversion as in this case one is a ratio change across all gears being the bigger tyres and the second is a ratin change on only 1 gear - at least that what i am taking from this @Winnie.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it all seemed simple and there is a really good thread on here that has a great little table with tyre size, diff ratio and sprocket size needed. Spoke to Shorty (Patrolapart) about it and seemed the problem was getting the plastic sprocket off or something? Anyways cant quite remember and but might revist it soon. Seems like the simplest and cheapest solution i reckon, Marks so a kit for 250 but changing sprocket much better & cheaper I reckon.

In regards to the gearbox mods, all was going way too well had a feeling that all was to good to be true. . Got the crossmember and rear housing off Saturday evening then decided to start a fresh the next day. . Well that didn't help, went to pull off the bearing on the back of the main shaft and didn't realize there are little C retaining clips so kept cranking till the outer shell cracked and went flying damit. . . So now left with the inner with nothing to grab on to with the puller so had to grind some little slots then eventually got the bugger off. . Then tried to pull 5th with selector syncros off but just couldn't get in there with the puller so after stuffing around with puller (like trying to wrestle a bloody octopus) gave up and drank sum beer which was the best decision of the day by far. . .

Called YV 4WD today and they are happy to do the 5th gear for us just need to get it there lol. So to answer you query Phil, yes can be done but need a good selection of pullers, the gear on the main shaft looks like you need a cup type puller too which I didn't have. Working under vehicle wasn't too bad really, just wasn't happening with what I had lol . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rossco; 9th November 2020 at 01:17 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (9th November 2020), Winnie (9th November 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you now have to take the gearbox out as well? When its all said and done I will be interested in the swap over cost of the gearset in the box, just so I know what i am up for. Bloody shame its gone this way for you though. Do you need a hand to do this?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    So you now have to take the gearbox out as well? When its all said and done I will be interested in the swap over cost of the gearset in the box, just so I know what i am up for. Bloody shame its gone this way for you though. Do you need a hand to do this?
    Cheers Phil, all good I'm sure I've still saved labour costs and learnt a bit more in the process so all good. Going to take the car over tomorrow hopefully with the help of MB and the Acco which is awesome. .

Bit more of a drama with the bloody thing damit, YV called and were running into a few issues installing with no instructions. Anyways they got onto Marks and got them although had been emailed to me but attachment was hiding down the bottom of message so never saw it lol. . Hopefully should be on track now, always a drama. . .

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

mudski (9th November 2020), PeeBee (9th November 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its going to be a great combo though @Rossco, longer legs and greater reduction in the low range, worth the bee stings.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Rossco (9th November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    GQ is getting there, back in shed with 5th gearset installed and transfer done complete with new handbrake shoes. Paid 360 in labor for the 5th gear (can't complain bout that) and 900 for complete transfer rebuild (labor) . . A few more bearings and seals here and there that went in the kit and she should be happy Definatly saved in some labor and should be fairly easy to get back together now. . Massive cheers again Markie for Christmas Hills transport services, bloody legend mate

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MB (12th November 2020), mudski (12th November 2020), Plasnart (12th November 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news @Rossco, at least I have a budget number to work with

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (12th November 2020), Rossco (12th November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GQ back together and all good (almost lol) Reductions are wicked really happy with the 43% so far (up & down driveway). Nice and slow but not too slow for me anyway. 5th gear is THE best, wish I did it ages ago, car is finally happy at 100. Sits bang on 2G @ 100 and cruises soooo much better.

Only problem at the mo is not shifting from two to four easily? When first put the shifter back on and tried couldn't select 4 at all then finally forced it in then was perfect after that, but after test drive is bloody hard again damit. . Will keep having a fiddle but hoping the transfer doesn't have to come out and apart again but looking like potentially might have to grr. .

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

jay see (15th November 2020), MB (15th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that ours cars are completely different, but how good are those reduction gears transformed mine.

I took the easy way tho, paid for someone else to do it. Good on you for doing it at home.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

MB (29th January 2021), Rossco (15th November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, I did the easyish bits but yeah would have saved a bit. Playing around seems to be working OK now so will see how she goes. Heading away next week with the thing so will certainly know by then if it's behaving itself.

Yeah very big difference and lov'n it, so glad I did the 5th too so good. .

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MB (29th January 2021)

Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast