No knots in me bud

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of comments:

1. Stropp knows his stuff. I consulted him when first thinking about getting a wood heater.

2. IMO triple skin flue is a good idea (as well as being a safety requirement for many installations). My experience at our last house was that a single skin flue set inside an old chimney allowed the smoke to cool too much by the time it reached the top of the flue. Result was a PIA as I had to get up on the roof, ladder against the chimney, every month or two, to remove the flue top cowl & clean out all the build up of creosote where it had accumulated right at the top, mainly because it had cooled down too much I think. I think triple skin helps to prevent this.

3. Paying someone qualified means you should get a compliance certificate for the installation. Without this you could be in a sticky situation should you ever have a fire & need to make an insurance claim. You can check online to ensure that the installer has the required 'ticket', & should confirm that you'll get a compliance certificate before committing to an installer. Beware of the cowboys!

4. Wood heaters are great. Much nicer heat than a gas heater. However don't expect fuel costs to be cheaper if you are buying in your firewood!
    You need a decent chainsaw & a trailer & time to collect the wood, plus a means of splitting the wood - I recently split half a dozen trailer loads of wood with a hand splitter. Bloody hard yakka, but if you don't put a price on your time the cost is only a bit of fuel for the saw & car.

Wood has quite a warming effect. It warms you when cutting it, when loading it into the trailer, when unloading it from the trailer, when splitting it, when stacking it & finally when burning it! A decent hydraulic log splitter makes the job quicker & easier, but they are not cheap, & it's still a lot of work. And don't forget that the wood you cut this year will be next year's fuel. And be choosy about what you cut if you can as crap firewood takes just as much effort as good firewood.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 1st June 2017 at 10:16 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

jack (1st June 2017), macca (1st June 2017), mudski (1st June 2017), Sir Roofy (1st June 2017), Stropp (1st June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right there mate on every thing except the splitting log splitter is the way to go
    we bought one last year best bit of gear that we have that we have and makes the
    work so much easier

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So it got installed today. Absolutely wrapped to say the least. The underhouse room it is in is always cold. Really cold. Within half an hour of having it on the room is so warm. The installer suggested a really good idea to us. You know those rectangle floor vents you use for ducted heating through the floor. Well, since the three main bedrooms are directly above where the wood heater is , he said to put a vent in the floor of each room so the heat can rise up and through the floor. Brilliant idea!
    But the kids can now enjoy down stair without freezing....
    20170601_181423.jpg20170601_161029.jpg
    As for the wood. I bought a cube of wood today just to get us started. The installer had a little device which measures the moisture content of the wood and the wood I got was fairly new and quite moist. I was a mixed lot, so redgum, sugargum and all the others they said was in it, lol. But breifly speaking with @AB I think we need to make a day up the bush and go get a load or two. Make it morning of it. I have a nice new splitter, it works really well. And I like splitting the wood. For now.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

AB (1st June 2017), Clunk (2nd June 2017), jay see (1st June 2017), MB (1st June 2017), Rossco (1st June 2017), Stropp (1st June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 2,035 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there's one to tick off
    🔥☑

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

mudski (1st June 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    Well there's one to tick off
    🔥☑

Yeah for sure John. I actually had a drink tonight in celebration. Haha! May not be much for some but getting this done has really made me happy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

jay see (1st June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,716 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well he has done a good job mate, just like I would have if I had been over there.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

mudski (2nd June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice mate looks awesome

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

mudski (2nd June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 2,035 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah for sure John. I actually had a drink tonight in celebration. Haha! May not be much for some but getting this done has really made me happy.
    And warm...

12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

mudski (2nd June 2017)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast