Thread: Inline fuel filter on a TD42

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a full Fuel watch kit sitting there, but real estate under the hood is the issue. Like the catch can it's been sitting in the garage for yonks ...
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Not everyone mechanically minded though. But even making a simply by-pass tap around the cav for such issues... Now we're getting technical.
    Just disconnect two hoses & reconnect them differently. Undoing two hose clamps is as technical as it gets.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the location of the filter Cuppa, as you said my engine bay is a lot less crowded and I have the threaded holes to be able to bolt something on there.
    Cheers for the pic!
    Sounds like carrying a spare bowl is the way, and it wouldn't be much of an issue shuffling some hoses around to bypass it, but the bypass tap sounds even better!

So from what I'm gathering, there's no issues running the filter in line as opposed to a replacement. The stock pump can keep up with pushing fuel through an extra and finer filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem with the TD42i pump, can’t imagine yours will be any different.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MrWasabi (2nd May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand, the IPs on TD42s pull fuel (suction) all the way from the tank (well, mine does anyway). Aftermarket in-line fuel pumps have been suggested somewhere on the forum (fairly cheap option) which will then assist the IP if it does struggle pulling the fuel thru the extra, finer filter.
    Also may prevent air ingress into fuel system (thru very-hard-to-find pinholes - from experience) turning it into positive pressure system. Yet to add in-line pump to mine as I eventually replaced enough bits for the problem to go away...

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Just disconnect two hoses & reconnect them differently. Undoing two hose clamps is as technical as it gets.
    For you and me thats easy. Some people I have come across mate during my time in the parts industry over the last 25 years, really boggles my mind on how they even know how to breathe. Not saying the OP is one of these, but just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by MrWasabi View Post
    I like the location of the filter Cuppa, as you said my engine bay is a lot less crowded and I have the threaded holes to be able to bolt something on there.
    Cheers for the pic!
    Sounds like carrying a spare bowl is the way, and it wouldn't be much of an issue shuffling some hoses around to bypass it, but the bypass tap sounds even better!

So from what I'm gathering, there's no issues running the filter in line as opposed to a replacement. The stock pump can keep up with pushing fuel through an extra and finer filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your stock pump should be fine with two filters. If you are running a larger turbo etc etc and have maxed the old pump out then you may see some starvation issues but I doubt it. When I put the 12mm pump on mine, I was getting this awful ticking noise from the pump. Turns out the pump was starving for fuel so a Carter 4600HP pump went in at the tank and all issues gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12