Thread: Wheels not running straight

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheels not running straight

Hi all,

Just got a wheel alignment done today with an adjustable drag link installed before hand. The steering wheel would turn to the left about 30 degrees when letting go of it (before the alignment), it is still moving above roughly 10 degrees to the left after but over a larger distance too so there is a major improvement but i was hoping it would be dead straight.

Is this normal to expect from this type of car? (2010 gu patrol wagon)
    Is there anything else i should look at to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The adjustable draglink is designed to re-align the steering wheel so it should be straight. I guess that they did it in the shop to centre it without a test drive to check it properly. What size lift has been installed?
    Last edited by mudnut; 29th April 2017 at 05:54 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what i thought. I will call the place up, and ask them to have another look.
    The car is standard for now, only have had it for a month.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the camber of Australian Roads, it is not uncommon for cars to pull to the left when you let go of the steering wheel, and it is also a safety thing, as you don't want a car that drifts right into oncoming traffic if you suddenly lose grip on the wheel.

The adjustable draglink is only there to re-centre the wheel from the driver perspective, as when you install a suspension lift with only fixed components, it will drag the steering wheel around so the wheel is crooked when you are driving straight.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Hodge (30th April 2017), mudnut (30th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy View Post
    Hi all,

Just got a wheel alignment done today with an adjustable drag link installed before hand. The steering wheel would turn to the left about 30 degrees when letting go of it (before the alignment), it is still moving above roughly 10 degrees to the left after but over a larger distance too so there is a major improvement but i was hoping it would be dead straight.

Is this normal to expect from this type of car? (2010 gu patrol wagon)
    Is there anything else i should look at to fix it?
    If it pulls to the left on a dead flat stretch then you can call it pulling.
    Most roads aren't that flat but angled slightly towards the left on left side.
    A straight freeway is probably the best place to find out whether the vehicle is pulling to the left or right when the
    steering wheel is let go.
    It's not always a sign of a wheel alignment issue.
    If the tyres are wearing out unevenly from outside, inside or middle, then it IS a wheel alignment issue.
    Pressure differences between two front tyres, some of manufacturing defects tyres come with but you can see, etc etc
    can cause the vehicle to pull right. Structural issues can also cause it, for example hitting a rock etc.
    Even after correcting such issues by straightening up or replacing the bent suspension, steering part and aligning the
    wheels, the pulling to the side still can continue.
    Most important thing to be aware that the tyres don't wear out unevenly.
    I think many 4WDs can end up pulling to the side a bit after rugged off road use over the years.
    Last edited by dom14; 3rd May 2017 at 08:06 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

Addy (3rd May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do yu mean the steering wheel is not aligned Top Dead Centre (TDC) when travelling straight on the road or that it pulls to the left? My read is the former. Why have you installed the adjustable Drag link without a lift?

Firstly. if it is a Steering wheel placement issue and its skewed to like 11oclock rather than 12nn TDC then they need to adjust the drag link again. They should do this for free as it was expected during their service. They will struggle to get that perfect on the hoist without going for a drive then checking it again.

Bear in mind that if you have an adjustable Drag Link that was designed for a 2" to 4" lift it may have run out of adjustment at Zero Lift and will go back into range of adjustment
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Addy (3rd May 2017), dom14 (2nd May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Do yu mean the steering wheel is not aligned Top Dead Centre (TDC) when travelling straight on the road or that it pulls to the left? My read is the former. Why have you installed the adjustable Drag link without a lift?

Firstly. if it is a Steering wheel placement issue and its skewed to like 11oclock rather than 12nn TDC then they need to adjust the drag link again. They should do this for free as it was expected during their service. They will struggle to get that perfect on the hoist without going for a drive then checking it again.

Bear in mind that if you have an adjustable Drag Link that was designed for a 2" to 4" lift it may have run out of adjustment at Zero Lift and will go back into range of adjustment
    Question popped into my head but I didn't ask. Adjustable drag link is not necessary for stock suspension, is it?

I think as you mentioned above, may be the OP was talking about steering wheel alignment when going straight.
    One way to fix that is by straightening the front wheels and then pull the steering wheel out and fit it back straight.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

Addy (3rd May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wheels not running straight

the adjustable drag link will get your steering wheel back to center for sure. If they have it the wrong way around it will turn more one way then the other... pretty sure I went through this

Edit: I m sure there is a L and a R end

................on the road
    Last edited by Maxhead; 2nd May 2017 at 07:41 PM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Addy (3rd May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice dom14 and mudrunner.
    I was just told i needed a drag link to fix and that i would need when i lift the car which i plan to do later on.
    Yes the steering wheel will go to 11 oclock position i test it all the time while driving.
    I called the place up and i got it done at Pro Axle, the guy said i needed to buy a camber cup/cap to fully fix the issue if i wanted to.

I bought the drag link from roadrunner offroad

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy View Post
    I called the place up and i got it done at Pro Axle, the guy said i needed to buy a camber cup/cap to fully fix the issue if i wanted to.
    I got my front end done at ProAxle aswell. They also said the same thing. Or do what I did, which they also suggested, and put a return to centre steering dampener on, which for some reason people think they are shit, haven't found out why yet, and this will keep the car from drifting left, or right.
    What they did say about the camber cups though is, that 1 they are expensive, and 2, not as strong as the original bearings as they are small because of the need to be offset to correct the camber. So the risk oif smashing the bearing is higher than it is when using the conventional setup.

Now I will go put my flame proof suit on and grab some popcorn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast