Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disabling traction control in 2014 Y61

Guys,

I have a continuing problem with my traction control kicking in on every corner, virtually making it undriveable. To stop this happening I switch it off every time I start the Patrol. I was told that the traction control being switched off does not effect the ABS from working. I'm hoping this is true. Question ....... if this is true, can I remove the fuse for the traction control ( assuming that it has a separate fuse ) without effecting the ABS?

Bazza
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 23rd December 2015 at 02:07 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traction control is usually a part of ABS and ESP system. Without knowing which particular part, you'll need to study what turns it off and then replicate via some automated process. So I'd identify how the switch used to turn the TC off works and then use relay to do the same everytime you turn the key ON.

I suspect that the fuse powers the whole system so you will power down the entire ABS/ESP (or whatever Nissan calls that these days) system when you take it out.

Regards

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (25th December 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brake hard on a dirt road or even on the bitumen with plenty of space behind you and in front of you, with the traction control off, and you will soon find out whether the ABS is working or not

If this is a momentary type switch, you could possibly just change it for an On/Off type, but I would think it would be a little more complex than that unfortunately.
    a wiring diagram would be your answer on this.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have same issue
    Bloody dangerous when driving on the road
    My 2015 Y61 has a switch to turn it off
    So thats what i do now and it so much safer to drive
    Hate it when computer wnat to take over what i as the driver want to happen
    Dumb designers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fwdpatrol View Post
    Have same issue
    Bloody dangerous when driving on the road
    My 2015 Y61 has a switch to turn it off
    So thats what i do now and it so much safer to drive
    Hate it when computer wnat to take over what i as the driver want to happen
    Dumb designers
    Now this is strange as TC should not come in to play unless one of the wheels is spinning. Have you modified anything on the suspension, different tyres or added things like roof rack etc? Otherwise you should take it back to Nissan to have it corrected/checked. I have a suspicion that this is a result of Nissan making "VDC" (Vehicle Dynamic Control aka Electronic Stability Control) too sensitive to body roll and also since they use this system accross the whole range of cars something is amiss in the Y61. Do you get the amber light VDC flashing on the dash when that happens? Any chance these problems have started after you disconnected the battery for some electrical work etc.
    It is entirely possible the EPS/VDC steering wheel sensor needs to be reset/recal again.

BTW, we can thank Victorian government for this crap in the first place as Nissan would not fit tech like that to what is essentailly obsolete, dying vehicle platform/series. It looks like Patrol's body roll is simply incompatible with this shyte however these things can be tweaked so it appears another feck up by famous Nissan.

If it was mine I know what I'd do, out comes the fuse which powers this entire nonsense (better trip the fuse and insert it back in case insurance company decides to look in case of accident).

IMHO if one needs ABS/EBS/VDC/ESP or other electronic crap to stay on the road then return the drivers licence. People crash their cars because the do stupid things behind the wheel and no amount of technology can fix that, it just makes worse for everyone else. Fark the cars which park themselves or worse drive themselves what a future, time to walk again....

Regards
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 24th December 2015 at 05:44 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (25th December 2015), BigRAWesty (24th December 2015), Sprock (25th December 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have modified it. 2" suspension lift & 285/75/16 BFG Mud tyres. My truck is totally undrivable when it kicks in, and that happens on inclines, round-abouts, and any road with bends. Nissan refused to investigate/rectify the problem even when I offered to pay for anything they had to do. For those who know where Wisemans Ferry is in NSW, if I forget to switch it off, when it kicks in I do not have enough power to drive up the hills on the way out. It's that bad. I happy to switch off the traction control or pull the fuse, but I am a bit concerned about it if it also isolates the ABS, as it's a big heavy truck to pull up quick & safely on mud tyres without the option of being able to steer it.

Bazza
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 24th December 2015 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ABS.....what's that then? Lol...... I like things kept simple, hence why I still drive a GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    ABS.....what's that then? Lol...... I like things kept simple, hence why I still drive a GQ
    thats in my right boot the same with traction control, esp the list goes on. i think all new cars must have it as for disabling it if your insurance hears about it kiss that good bye. as they will just say unroadworthy. if you pull the fuse you might have to live with the warning light.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to garett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post

IMHO if one needs ABS/EBS/VDC/ESP or other electronic crap to stay on the road then return the drivers licence. People crash their cars because the do stupid things behind the wheel and no amount of technology can fix that, it just makes worse for everyone else. Fark the cars which park themselves or worse drive themselves what a future, time to walk again....

Regards
    I'd be more concerned of the possible ramifications if involved in an accident and it being investigated and found that you removed the fuse.
    2007 GU ST-S 4.8 Patrol.
    40mm heavy duty springs, Dual batteries,
    140 ltr fuel tank,Custom 60ltr water tank, draws, cargo barrier, bull bar, IPF spotties, UHF.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Skitzyrex For This Useful Post:

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the same on mine and I am fairly sure the extra body roll that occurs due to the lift kit is the source of the issue. I'd be keen to know what sensors/thresholds are used to determine when the TC kicks in.
    Anyone think a stiffer sway bar would have any effect?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast