Thread: After all the years I have done it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After all the years I have done it

Our last trip to the centre was buggered because of a bent chassis, we had air bags fitted to help the leaf springs out the back.

Fitting these bloody things is a huge mistake mainly because when they compress to their maximum there is no cushioning, its metal to metal and rock solid.

The OEM bump stop compresses and takes some of the impact also they are 80mm higher before the diff touches them, that 80mm plus is what the spring is supposed to use to do its job and with air bags can never do that job.

Met a mechanic who explained it all to me in logical language, man it would have been good to meet him ages ago.

Since we got back home last year I have been searching for a better way to support the load, resetting springs, various spring arrangements or assists, adding coils the list goes on with a fair bit of wind blown up my freckle I can tell you. Some of these people only care about a sale.

It all came down to a heavier spring pack, and as I'm no fan of a few brands Lovell's seemed to keep popping up. The research led me to a "local" shop about 65klm away.

My confidence was not high so before anything happened a trip to their place of business was required just to get the detailitus right.

I have new Tough Dog shocks on the ute, big bore and big shaft jobbies. The owner of the business sold them too and said we don't need to swap them out if I wanted a GVM upgrade... never thought of that!

So he sourced Lovell's Mil-Spec leaf packs and "matching" coils for the pointy end. It all cost a bloody arm and a leg plus a couple of dancing girls. I'm getting about OK now but don't know what happened to the girls.

All the new fruit was installed which took all day, man those 4x4 retail shops waiting areas get boring real fast. And 10 days later was engineered to 3900Kg.

Went to Tuff Trucks last weekend loaded to GVM and it was really nice to drive and IT SAT LEVEL!!!

Along this journey was a problem, there was a clunk added while it was on the hoist. It took 5 & 1/2 weeks to find, replacing gear box mounts, checking for hit marks - anything. About 18 items were replaced or repaired or diss-guarded with no success until it clunked at 5klm on a flat road - diff rotation!

It turned out to be a brace vertically above the front pin in the spring hanger, the new spring has an extra "military" wrap which filled the space required by the OEM leaf pack.

Lovell's suggested cutting the offending wrap off! Pay a small fortune for a spec spring only to remove it... no bloody way.

It was agreed the installer grind away some of the brace and now it is silent, the sound was dreadful and off-road was driving me insane.

A pair of Superior radius arms were also fitted to correct caster which has stopped the steering wandering.

So now it sits and drives so much better it is hard to believe the difference, cost was ridiculous, stress due to the clunking was frustrating but we are there now.

It was not planned to go to this level but it seems to be worth it, time will tell.
    Cheers
    Macca

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

AB (13th April 2017), Avo (13th April 2017), GQtdauto (13th April 2017), jack (13th April 2017), MB (13th April 2017), my third 256 (14th April 2017), Rossco (14th April 2017), Sir Roofy (14th April 2017), threedogs (14th April 2017), VK2FMIA (18th April 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,377 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad everything's finally worked out for you now macca. Personally I'd never install airbags after reading years ago as a newb how they shorten the working range of springs. Let the spring do it's job! Makes total sense to me. Too many cracked chassis from airbags. Right springs, tower braces, happy days.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have got that right Plasnart.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move Macca. I'm *very* surprised that you got away with keeping those shocks though. When I got mine done I had no choice, the Lovells approval was dependent on using all Lovells gear. At the time I asked about substituting Konis for the Lovells shocks (which would have cost more) but it was not allowed.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (14th April 2017), MB (13th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear your issues experienced Macca mate! You're making me stress out now since I swapped the coil bags out into Mrs MB's GU and tower braced. Saved hard enough to install Firestone coil replacements in my utes arse end complimented by Koni 90's all round and at this stage haven't looked back :-) Mind you, we don't hardcore tour on corregations like you retired lucky blokes ;-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

macca (14th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Sorry to hear your issues experienced Macca mate! You're making me stress out now since I swapped the coil bags out into Mrs MB's GU and tower braced. Saved hard enough to install Firestone coil replacements in my utes arse end complimented by Koni 90's all round and at this stage haven't looked back :-) Mind you, we don't hardcore tour on corregations like you retired lucky blokes ;-)
    Mark did the OEM bump stops stay in the car?
    A mate had a full airbag replacement of the coils in his GU and it was always heavy, he swore by it and never had an issue.
    It still gets around here and has never had any trouble as far as I know.
    Cheers
    Macca

11. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

MB (14th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Good move Macca. I'm *very* surprised that you got away with keeping those shocks though. When I got mine done I had no choice, the Lovells approval was dependent on using all Lovells gear. At the time I asked about substituting Konis for the Lovells shocks (which would have cost more) but it was not allowed.
    After your experience Cuppa I was surprised when he said we will do an upgrade with the Tough Dog's instead of the Bilstein's.
    Their Engineer is responsive to alternatives packages and was happy to sign it off. Pushed me toward an engineered report as there is $1100.00 in new shocks under there that could stay.

There was one shock showing signs of leaking so all 4 were replaced, that's after 6 years of use and punishment as Mark said.

The Engineer was quite informative and complimented me on using good gear right through the car, he said it braked better than any GU he had driven at that weight, when he found out it had EBC GreenStuff pads on the RDA Slotted Rotors up front he no wonder it stops - they are the best!

That is information from NissanPatrol.com. great source of real world testing is reported here so we buy once!
    Last edited by macca; 14th April 2017 at 07:00 AM.
    Cheers
    Macca

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (14th April 2017), Touses (14th April 2017), Winnie (14th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a thought guys but the main problem with air bags is when used with leaf springs
    oh yes there has been problems with coils too but not as many
    and many people use them for the wrong reason
    like wanting to be a wedge driving down the toad with the ass soo high up in the air
    just my opinion fellas dont shoot me down will you
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to my third 256 For This Useful Post:

MB (15th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers
    Macca

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 'in coil Firestone airbags' , coil tower braces and coil tower tie bar kit installed. Been running this setup for 50000klm without issue, but the airbags are used for load trimming and minor height adjustment, not replacements for the coil.

I recently had a re-think and have installed BOSS airbags between the diff housing and chassis, thus taking the cantilever load out of play with the spring tower. Again, these are used as load trimmers, installed the seem to give a more cushioned ride than the in coil units, probably because as the compression load comes on they still allow the coil to work yet assist in the rebound to adjusted raised height, where the fire stones are totally restrained by the coil spring and the compression tower is stiffer.

Only issue I have is the BOSS bags are hard to seal and the rubber does allow air to permeate over time, but minor issue.

I am happy with this set-up, but emphasis it's a load assist trim setup, not load replacement.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 14th April 2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast