OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Rust Protection for the Gu, worth investing in, or a waste of money?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electronic Rust Protection for the Gu, worth investing in, or a waste of money?

Hi Everyone,

What's your opinion on ERP Systems , a great investment? or a waste of Money? would love to know your opinions if you have had first hand experience with these systems.

Thanks
    Renee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,434 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (28th January 2015), hybrid (29th January 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Load of crap from what I have heard from many...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old NJ Pajero had a unit installed (since new). It was 16 years old and in quite good nick. Previous owner had taken it around Australia a couple of times. There was some damage to the paint on the rear door where someone had bumped into the spare wheel or the driver had reversed into something putting a dent in it. This had exposed bare metal and there was surface rust on it so these units definitely do not stop rust but how well they retard it is the question.

The other factor is that if you leave the car sitting for long periods of time it will run the battery flat since it constantly draws current. When I bought the car there were 2 newish looking batteries in it but the second battery would not hold a charge. I can't say for sure that it was the rust preventer that caused the problem but the Pajero was sitting in a car yard for who knows how long so it may have contributed to this.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    My old NJ Pajero had a unit installed (since new). It was 16 years old and in quite good nick. Previous owner had taken it around Australia a couple of times. There was some damage to the paint on the rear door where someone had bumped into the spare wheel or the driver had reversed into something putting a dent in it. This had exposed bare metal and there was surface rust on it so these units definitely do not stop rust but how well they retard it is the question.

The other factor is that if you leave the car sitting for long periods of time it will run the battery flat since it constantly draws current. When I bought the car there were 2 newish looking batteries in it but the second battery would not hold a charge. I can't say for sure that it was the rust preventer that caused the problem but the Pajero was sitting in a car yard for who knows how long so it may have contributed to this.

From all the units I looked at they all specify to be connected to starter batteries so unless it was a diy install on the aux the unit shouldn't have any affect on the aux, if it was fitted to the aux then it was a diy and who how's if it was installed in a satisfactory manner anyway.

We have a couplertec fitted and no rust to date though our car is only a 09 we do a few weeks on the beach per year.
    the thing that put me off other units was the daisy chain style connection of the pads, when one wire is broken or disconnected they all stop..
    Last edited by megatexture; 28th January 2015 at 12:36 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

hybrid (29th January 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a CAT system from WA and it seems to work. There is a small area of bare metal where I have dragged my foot when entering/exiting and I have left it bare so I could see if rust developed. Will be 9 yrs old in June so I can only assume it works. Rest of vehicle is clean as well and I visit the Island regularly and boat ramp often.
    As for brands- don't know as it was a toss up which one I bought 9 yrs ago.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an ERPS installed in my D22 Navara. This truck practically lived on the beach most weekends and did a lot of touring across WA. When I sold it there were no signs of rust apart from maybe some very minor surface rust on a couple of bare metal areas that had been scratched with a bolt. After selling the Nav and upgrading to the Patrol I installed one straight away. ERPS claims to warranty your vehicle against rust so long as an authorised fitter installs it. Whether they would foot the bill if your vehicle begins to rust out in the presence of their system, I don't know...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to docp1980 For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 3,144 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our mechanic at work spent years working in the mines in SA and WA, and reckons the crew cars fitted with these things had zero rust / corrosion compared to vehicles without the rust protect fitted. Knowing him for the last few years, I know that he knows his s#it. And trust him when he says this...
    2005 TD42TI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    I have a CAT system from WA and it seems to work. There is a small area of bare metal where I have dragged my foot when entering/exiting and I have left it bare so I could see if rust developed. Will be 9 yrs old in June so I can only assume it works. Rest of vehicle is clean as well and I visit the Island regularly and boat ramp often. As for brands- don't know as it was a toss up which one I bought 9 yrs ago.
    I have the same mark that's not rusty and I don't have rust protection and my car is 25 y old

16. The Following User Says Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (29th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some vehicles over the years rust more than others, take the back window frame of a GQ that would be one of the first places to look if buying.
    Gu's dont seem to have inherited this problem, rust preventitive coatings over the years imo has come a long way. aluminized sheet steel for body pan
    Look back and some like the GQ have inherent rust problems other models dont.

The infamous Range Rover well the earlier one had aluminium body panels except
    the lift up tail gate and that rusted away , making for fibreglass replacement panels

Wouldnt a decent wash every so often keep the rust at bay
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

18. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast