Thread: Boost/EGT necessary for 2014 CRD with 3" Exhaust

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boost/EGT necessary for 2014 CRD with 3" Exhaust

Hi Guys. Firstl post though have appreciated your info for years. I have 2014 3.0 CRD that has a 3" exhaust with cat on it. It uses less fuel now and has a wider power band. pleasure to drive. I don't drive it 'hard'. QUESTION Is it wise to fit Boost and EGT gauges? I.E. would the exhaust bring me into dangerous temp and boost conditions. I know this topic area has been discussed a lot but can't find anything directly related to this single mod. BTW I tow a 2 tonne van(max loaded) sometimes. Many thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 3Patrols For This Useful Post:

Addy (23rd April 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @3Patrols,,Hello and welcome to the forum most ppl post an intro before asking questions.
    polite and all,,,No harm done just something the forum asks of us all.
    As for fitting gauges I would recommend it, always nice to know whats happening
    under the bonnet in different conditions, If your IC is oily chances are its leaking,
    dont worry they all do it, so start sourcing a fully tigged and tested one, Diesel Smart
    do an affordable IC imo

EDIT:: If towing that weight you might want to
    look at some rear shock tower strenghtening.
    They will crack
    Last edited by threedogs; 11th April 2017 at 02:50 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exhaust should reduce egts as it gets rid of the heat faster ... In th
    eory.
    It may bump the boost up a little bit which may or may not trigger limp modes momentarily.

But gauges would definitely help to see what the car is doing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responding threedogs and Hodge and appreciate your input and experience . Yes I would like to keep an eye on the engine readings so will install gauges. I'll be very interested to see what the load of the van does on long hills and will post them here .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cousin has a 2012 GU Patrol 3.0l and has a 3" exhaust. Installed boost and egt gauges for monitoring. Has EGR blocked but no Dawes and needle as of yet but it's in the works. His EGR temp reading is around the 300 mark, hardly ever moves much, guess the exhaust is doing its job. The only time he noticed the temp rise was when he was towing his camper weight of nearly 2t through the beach and it was high tide so it was soft sand the whole way and he saw it rise no more than 50 degrees that's still a lot but considering the load he was putting the engine through you'd think it would sky rocket. He does experience boost spikes of 20+ psi and it's all random and that's what the Dawes valve mod will fix. I think it's good to monitor your engine, it's always good to know what's it doing. Good investment for a big gain in engine management.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these gauges in my 2015 CRD. Along with a 3" exhaust, ECU Remap and now a Dawes.
    I've found them very useful to understand what is going on. Mostly my egt sits just under 280. But fully loaded climbing the range over Cunningham's Gap yesterday I got up to > 500. Was great to know when to ease off a bit!
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Seyko and Boinzo.
    It's very helpful to have figures that are pertinent to my model and mods. I've been away so hope to get the gauges in in the next week.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this very interesting as I am looking to add a 3" exhaust to my 2016 GU Patrol, and it was recommended that I put in the Boost Gauge and a pyro gauge first. I will most probably look at an ECU remap as we will be towing a Tvan on a long trip later this year to the Kimberleys and beyond.
    Can I ask what is a Dawes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Dawes valve is basically a small spring actuated valve added to the vacuum lines that control the turbo vanes (and therefore boost amount). It's useful to help flatten out spikes in boost over rev range and also (primarily) to prevent over boost. Over boost (say > 20psi or less even for some) can cause serious damage as well as put your motor in to limp mode.

That's my newby explanation. Others can give you heaps more and better info. If you search for Dawes or Tillex here you'll get about 2 days reading on it.

I would add the exhaust first. And make sure it has a port for the EGT gauge probe to go into.

Quote Originally Posted by Matwil View Post
    I found this very interesting as I am looking to add a 3" exhaust to my 2016 GU Patrol, and it was recommended that I put in the Boost Gauge and a pyro gauge first. I will most probably look at an ECU remap as we will be towing a Tvan on a long trip later this year to the Kimberleys and beyond.
    Can I ask what is a Dawes
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boinzo For This Useful Post:

Matwil (2nd June 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a remap, dawes and intercooler done on my 08 CRD before that I was getting 700 with a 21" van on going up Cunninghams Gap. After the work has been done now I got 600 at 80kph going up the gateway bridge no van. I am about to up the boost to see if it helps came back running max 15psi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast