Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong @Cuppa but basically the PWM charges are in short regulating on off switches.
    They switch on at a set voltage and off at a set voltage.
    Not sure if top end PWM chargers can supply a float voltage but my cheaper one doesn't. .

As for pannels, try find them without controllers.
    They are usually cheaper..
    PWM = Pulse Width Modulation - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation). Not sure I fully understand it, but basically the 'on/off switches are electronic rather than mechanical (Mosfets) which do what they do constantly at very high speed. Has nothing to do with whether a regulator which uses them has a 'float' capability. This is to do with multi stage charging. However I would think it would be highly unlikely that any regulator which has no float capability was anything other than a 'dumb' charger & almost certainly not going to employ PWM technology, regardless of what it says on the regulator. If a regulator does not have a float capability it would be an ultra cheap one capable of damaging the battery & shortening it's life. They are available for a couple of bucks & are best consigned to the hard rubbish asap. ALL reasonable to top end solar regulators use PWM technology, increasingly more also use MPPT technology to optimise this. Unfortunately the acronyms have been employed by shonky manufacturers & vendors as selling points with little basis or meaning. I would be 99.9% certain that your PWM reg has about as much PWM technology in it as my big toe Kallen.

As far as panels with a regulator attached to the back of the panel, you are correct, they are not a good idea, & very few of those regulators are worth keeping. But if kept, if removed from the panel & installed close to the battery together with heavier cabl, will improve the efficiency/performance of the solar set up. I have bought portable panels with panel mounted regulators, but treated the regs & supplied wiring as throwaway items, & the panels themselves were still good value.

Of the ebay sellers I think that Low Energy developments who have a reputation for quality at low prices.Others, in my experience have low prices & low quality. Problem is that all solar panels look much the same, but looks are deceiving.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 9th April 2017 at 01:20 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th April 2017), jay see (10th April 2017)