OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TB45E - New to Patrol ownership advice please.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB45E - New to Patrol ownership advice please.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and considering buying a Nissan Patrol. I've worked with vehicles my whole life but looking for opinions from people regarding this purchase and ownership.

Vehicle: 1998 TB45E, Petrol, auto, ST, 306 odo, VGC almost no off road work.

I have concerns about fuel economy. It seems 14l/100 is expected but most are getting closer to 17l/100? Any advice or tips on this. I do not want to convert to LPG.

Has had no engine/major work i.e head, valves, box, fuel pump etc. Should I be concerned about this? Is there anything known for this age or kms that seems to fail or that I should consider?

Is being an auto considered a negative? I've read alright things but i'm not a huge fan of automatics.

Do you think this vehicle is too old?

Any info that would improve driveability, knowledge about these vehicles, ways to improve fuel economy, upgrades that are worthwhile (like a long range tank) etc. would be appreciated.

I live in a regional area so while it would make it easier to get to places our 2wd won't go it is 6-7 hours to a major centre if used in that capacity. So I have some concerns about highway driving.

Thank you
    Last edited by JCenturion; 4th April 2017 at 11:01 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I have a Nissan patrol Td42 Diesel and also gonna be picking up the TB45E Petrol 2000 Model next week... Yes the mileage can be an issue...

If u have options options do u have any Td42T Diesel around that u wid wanna pick up?

I think in my opinion and whatever i have learnt till now TD42T cud be ur best bet here

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks. No we aren't looking at anything else nor are there any other similar vehicles around in the same price bracket in the same condition.

So advice about the actual vehicle I'm asking about would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very much doubt you'd be getting anywhere near 14 l/100k out of a TB45. I get 18l/100 out of my tb48 on the highway taking it easy. put stuff on the roof rack, plus camping gear and that goes up to 20). So figure on something similar.

Having said that, from what I've been told, the tb45 is a solid understressed engine. If looked after should go past 500k. The 4 speed auto is also a very solid reliable unit.
    Andrew
    -----------------------
    GU3 Patrol, TB48, 33" muddies. front E-locker. 4.11 diff gears. 2.2 metre steel rack. Awning. Steel rear bar. Safari Snorkel. ARB side steps and brush rails. ARB Deluxe bull bar. Winch. 2" lift.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I've only driven manual 4wd's for actual 4 wheel driving. Do you think an auto is an draw back? I haven't done much sand but I've heard an auto is better for that. I've only done more serious mountainous/rocky type largely because that's the type of area I live in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really do much sand driving. but autos are great for rocky stuff as you have so much more control being able to feed the power on.
    Andrew
    -----------------------
    GU3 Patrol, TB48, 33" muddies. front E-locker. 4.11 diff gears. 2.2 metre steel rack. Awning. Steel rear bar. Safari Snorkel. ARB side steps and brush rails. ARB Deluxe bull bar. Winch. 2" lift.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I prefer manuals because I feel they give a better ability to control the vehicle and not have to ride the brakes so hard. Which is probably why I'm so on the fence about that issue. But it's good to know that people who do a lot of 4bying doing see any particular issue with the transmission type. I guess they wouldn't make autos if they weren't cut out for that type of work

Do you think the age of the vehicle is a big deal? Especially since it's had no work done. I spoke to the mechanic today who works on this vehicle and other than a radiator and starter replacement nothing else has been done other than general logbook maintenance.

Knowing the radiator has been replaced less than 12 months ago and it hasn't really been driven since I also wonder if there could be an underlying head or pressure issue.. but I could be making mountains out of mole hills too. Radiators can just rust or fail after 19 years.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With extremely conservative hwy driving, my TB45E gets about 25litres/100 on ULP, maybe 10-15% better on premiumULP on long runs. (4 adults luggage, no roof rack, no trailer, 2" lift)
    On LPG it's 33/100 - so you're on the right track not converting IMHO.
    These numbers would be heavy due to dual fuel and resultant difficulty in finding "sweet spot" in the tuning for both fuels (from what I've heard).
    Haven't taken it on sand, but is "confidence inspiring" on long gravel roads!
    It's a bit of a verge ornament at the moment - only kept for minor outings as I don't use LPG if I can help it, leaving me with 30litre sub tank of ULP...
    Suggest u stick to standard profile tyres. Bought mine with 285/75/16s. Struggled keeping speed up long inclines. Seems better with 265/75/16s, but I haven't driven it that much since the changeover.
    I prefer driving the TB45E over the TD42T (both are stock - no mods), as long as I suppress any thoughts about fuel economy!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I have driven a wide variety of vehicles so while the fuel economy figures seem high, we are pretty used to it here. We drive on gravel alot because sometimes there is only gravel ahah. and lots of dirt roads, dips and washouts. Our current Rodeo takes 4 tanks of fuel nearly to the dot using 98 over approx 1200km drive which is 70% highway driving with no additional load. granted smaller tank but still she likes the taste of petrol in the morning

I am not personally a believer in gas. I have seen what people do and how badly it all can all go wrong, plus gas here is not cheap i'd rather buy petrol. Having said that if people have a good set up or disagree I do want to hear the feedback. I imagine getting the tuning right would not be all that fun.

I believe this one we are looking at is running standard's. The own was an elderly man who maybe did 10,000 in a year so I know it hasn't been flogged or done any heavy lifting. Your comments about the inclines is interesting so thank you for that. Something I will note to do with it when we take it for a test drive.

I have worked on a lot of TD42's and most people seem pretty happy with them. We don't see many TB45's around here which is why I guess I'm a but wary as this area is a bit unknown for me. Nearly all serious 4bys and farm vehicles are diesel. Is there a particular reason you prefer the TB45 UncleFrosty?

Would you consider the age of this vehicle to be of a concern?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a manual TB45e with M/T tyres, 2 inch lift, bull bar and brush bars, rock sliders but no roof rack or trailer. Driving on the Hume Highway from Canberra to Sydney and back I get 15.6 l/100km just leaving it at 110km/h on cruise control. If I drive it really carefully and get a run up for hills I usually get it down to 15.1 l/100km but I have never seen it as low as 14 l/100km.

If I'm towing I get around 21 l/100km with my 1,000kg camper trailer.
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast