Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60w powerfilm foldable solar panel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60w powerfilm foldable solar panel

Will my 60w powerfilm solar panel run 60L engel fridge/freeze ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum , when you get a chance pop over to the intro and tell us a bit about yourself
    before asking questions,, polite and all, no harm done, I think 60 watts may be a tad small for such a big fridge
    100watts would suit it better IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum , when you get a chance pop over to the intro and tell us a bit about yourself
    before asking questions,, polite and all, no harm done, I think 60 watts may be a tad small for such a big fridge
    100watts would suit it better IMO
    Agree TD, I have 120W on my roof and it caters well for the 60L engel, in fact been doing it for just on 20yrs now. Its a Canon Shade tolerant panel - 2 x 60W, solar cells laminated onto SS sheet, so no glass to break if something falls on it, ot the roofrack twists.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry about the way I started I'm only new to this app. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No harm done .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lugga9 View Post
    Will my 60w powerfilm solar panel run 60L engel fridge/freeze ?????

Here you go mate,,,
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Introductions

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FRom Engel's web site - the 60L fridge freezer - "DC Power Consumption Variable from 0.5 to 4.2 AMPS Maximum

1. The amps it draws will be dependent on a number of factors - how cold you run it. Colder uses more power. Ambient temperature. It will use more the hotter the day is. What you put in it - if you put warm stuff in to cool down it will use more. How often you access it - if you are frequently opening the lid to get another beer it will use more power.

2. The amps Engel claim will be what it uses when it's running. It will cycle on & off - how often will be dertermined by the above.

If you consider a not unusual running time of 50% - that's 12 hours a day. At that rate the fridge can use up to 12 x 4.2amps - that equates to a tad over 50 Ah over 24 hours which you need to get back into your battery. (which sounds about right to me). Your 60w panel, on a good solar day, & if connected with suitably heavy cable & the regulator near the battery (not on the rear of the panel) will be able to put around 25ah to 30Ah into your battery. Of course not every day is a good solar day, & the number of 'solar hours' is less in winter & in the south. Better to work on the panel giving 15 to 20Ah. To reliably run that fridge (& nothing else) at any time of the year, in any part of Australia you need 3 of those panels. This will be sufficient to bring the battery back to full charge every 24 hours. You could get away with 2 of those panels if only needing to run the fridge for weekends away, arriving home with a battery in need of charging.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

lugga9 (2nd April 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking back to our trip to the Kimberley in 1997, we did struggle on capacity as the temps were high at night and the fridge needed to run with no solar top-up, then it was running a high proportion of the day due to base camping and little sun. A third panel would have helped for sure, but not enough room on top to mount. Since then, just doing trips in the southern parts, the 2 panels have sufficed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

lugga9 (2nd April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If you are driving every 2nd day that will help out the Aux battery heaps.
    If you're camping in one spot for a long time say a week then you may struggle
    topping up the battery.
    When I went to Birdsville with a few mates we took an esky for the cold drinks
    as we knew we would pass a servo every day so ice was available. I froze 2 roasts
    before I left and placed them in the Engel ate one the other was still frozen when I
    got home.
    I think Engels figure of 4.2 amps is a little low,,
    real world usage would be more around 6 ah IMO
    If you're driving more than 2hrs every 2nd day you might get away with it ,,,,,,,,just

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

lugga9 (2nd April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

lugga9 (2nd April 2017), PeeBee (2nd April 2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast