Thread: 2004 gu zd30

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004 gu zd30

Hi everyone new on site got some questions I need to get answers too I have 2004 zd30 wanted too know if it came out with a td42 diesel and if I can use my manual gear box if I was to put a gq td42 in it and would I need a engineer report at all in nsw or is it best to keep zd in it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    2004 came out with the 4.2
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew portsmouth View Post
    Hi everyone new on site, got some questions I need to get answers too. I have 2004 zd30 wanted too know if it came out with a td42 diesel, and if I can use my manual gear box if I was to put a gq td42 in it, and would I need a engineer report at all in nsw or is it best to keep zd in it
    Thats better. Now I can read it without running out of breath... lol

The TD42 was in this model yes. You can put a silver top in it. I do believe the gearbox you have would fit behind said motor. Here in Vic you don't need an engineers report as this motor was an option for this model, you just need to notify the local RTA about it. But as you are putting in something older, this may change the circumstances. It would be best if you contacted a local engineer and ask them. They will give you a definitive answer to this.
    As for the last question. Its all up to you. I did the conversion and haven't looked back. I love the TD. But having said that. I still believe the ZD is a better motor for driving around town in. It was easier to drive. But not as fun though.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Thats better. Now I can read it without running out of breath... lol

The TD42 was in this model yes. You can put a silver top in it. I do believe the gearbox you have would fit behind said motor. Here in Vic you don't need an engineers report as this motor was an option for this model, you just need to notify the local RTA about it. But as you are putting in something older, this may change the circumstances. It would be best if you contacted a local engineer and ask them. They will give you a definitive answer to this.
    As for the last question. Its all up to you. I did the conversion and haven't looked back. I love the TD. But having said that. I still believe the ZD is a better motor for driving around town in. It was easier to drive. But not as fun though.
    Ok thanks.So now does the Input shaft have to be replaced.and what about fly wheel clutch. Are they all the same aswell .

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No mate the flywheels are different. I actually still have my old Gq flywheel if you head down this path as I put a td42t into my Gq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    No mate the flywheels are different. I actually still have my old Gq flywheel if you head down this path as I put a td42t into my Gq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    . So I can use The td42 flywheel ,and all the rest

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matthew,

Not sure on what your driving involves, but I have owned both a modified 4.2 and the 3 Litre motors, and I have loved both for different reasons. For technical four wheel driving, the 4.2 wins hands down ... for around town the 3 litre wins that battle. Realistically determine what most of your driving is before you jump in, and commit to anything, remembering both motors will get you where you want to go.

I know everyone is different, but I wouldn't pursue an engine swap .... if you are that determined, I would change vehicles, as it will end up cheaper in most cases.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Mic. I did an engine swap years ago and it is the little things that you don't initially think of that cost more money and agro.