Thread: Struggling with Clutch

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

Mudski and Dom14 my troll is a GU with zd30 motor. I asked Nissan how much a booster unit is some time ago and I can't remember the exact price he gave me but I remember it being a bit too pricey for me at the time. I will double check everything again first before I go for that.

Pearcey, This wasn't happening before the clutch replacement but I will look at the fork and see if I can see any damage to it. Can you tell me where I would find the adjustment? I haven't seen anywhere on this clutch that I can adjust. I did see a piece that I don't know what it is or it's function. It is mounted on the firewall and is connected to the fluid lines. On the top end it comes straight from the master cylinder in a small line, then comes out the other side in a slightly bigger line that goes down to the slave cylinder. From looking at it I would assume that it has something to do with adjusting the pressure in the lines because I would think that you don't need as much pressure in the line to push the fork as you do to push the piston in the master cylinder.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chewindust For This Useful Post:

dom14 (31st March 2017), mudski (31st March 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewindust View Post
    Thanks guys.

Mudski and Dom14 my troll is a GU with zd30 motor. I asked Nissan how much a booster unit is some time ago and I can't remember the exact price he gave me but I remember it being a bit too pricey for me at the time. I will double check everything again first before I go for that.

Pearcey, This wasn't happening before the clutch replacement but I will look at the fork and see if I can see any damage to it. Can you tell me where I would find the adjustment? I haven't seen anywhere on this clutch that I can adjust. I did see a piece that I don't know what it is or it's function. It is mounted on the firewall and is connected to the fluid lines. On the top end it comes straight from the master cylinder in a small line, then comes out the other side in a slightly bigger line that goes down to the slave cylinder. From looking at it I would assume that it has something to do with adjusting the pressure in the lines because I would think that you don't need as much pressure in the line to push the fork as you do to push the piston in the master cylinder.
    I'd be looking at the clutch pressure plate now. The diaphragm where the thrust bearing and carrier sit on. Sounds like there is no tension there to push back the clutch fork after you put your foot on the clutch. What brand clutch kit was put in?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

dom14 (31st March 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I'd be looking at the clutch pressure plate now. The diaphragm where the thrust bearing and carrier sit on. Sounds like there is no tension there to push back the clutch fork after you put your foot on the clutch. What brand clutch kit was put in?
    I'm fairly positive that everything went ok when I put the clutch kit in. I have barely driven it since doing the clutch kit. Might have done maybe 100 ks. The brand is Exedy and it was only a few days ago I read on here about someones clutch failing after 20k kms.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly positive that everything went ok when I put the clutch kit in. I have barely driven it since doing the clutch kit. Might have done maybe 100 ks. The brand is Exedy and it was only a few days ago I read on here about someones clutch failing after 20k kms.
    Exedy are a good brand, but even good quality can fail.

To me your symptoms point to pressure plate failure. Or, the thrust bearing carrier, the part that slides on the nose cone of the gearbox, wasn't lubed right and its sticking, or the carrier is just worn out and its not sliding neatly and there for grabbing on the nose cone when the clutch is released.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

chewindust (31st March 2017), dom14 (31st March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of few incidents where a brand new clutch mechanically failed in no time, be it forks or spring fingers or something else.
    I get a feeling yours might be a such issue. Just make sure to rule out all other problems in the hydraulic system before pulling out the clutch again, as it is a bastard of a job to pull the clutch out.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've only done just on 30K of mostly easy highway driving on an Exedy clutch, and it really doesn't feel like there's a lot of meat left on it. I wonder if someone has been slipping cheap knock offs into the Aussie market.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I've only done just on 30K of mostly easy highway driving on an Exedy clutch, and it really doesn't feel like there's a lot of meat left on it. I wonder if someone has been slipping cheap knock offs into the Aussie market.
    Exedy is a locally made brand, isn't it? Or am I wrong about that? Everything is made in China these days, so you never know.
    Many "proudly Australian" brands can be like Harvey Norman "locally made" furniture.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the past, I sourced some Timken wheel bearings that failed dismally in a few thousand ks. The replacement Timkens lasted many years, so make of that what you will.

I know that fake medications are sometimes discovered in various parts of the world, even vital ones for sufferers of heart conditions.

I was happy that an Exedy clutch was put in when the gearbox was changed out. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts, after the others' experiences. I am not saying fakes have been swapped in , but it is just conjecture at this point.

http://www.exedy.com.au/faq
    Last edited by mudnut; 1st April 2017 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    In the past, I sourced some Timken wheel bearings that failed dismally in a few thousand ks. The replacement Timkens lasted many years, so make of that what you will.

I know that fake medications are sometimes discovered in various parts of the world, even vital ones for sufferers of heart conditions.

I was happy that an Exedy clutch was put in when the gearbox was changed out. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts, after the others' experiences. I am not saying fakes have been swapped in , but it is just conjecture at this point.

http://www.exedy.com.au/faq

I'm yet to replace wheel bearings or the clutch on mine. They've been going for six years now.
    I've repacked the bearings couple of times. I thought the clutch was bad when I bought the vehicle, but it's still going fine.
    Dunno whether it's still the original clutch or a replacement.

Fake Exedy clutches are probably not likely, but you never know.

There're lot of after market dodgy bearings out there for sure, including fake ones.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you read the answer to the: How can I tell if my clutch is an Exedy product? , question on their website, they acknowledge the fact that there may be fake ones available from online sources such as Ebay, and to obtain an Excedy clutch through bona fide suppliers.

I will bleed the clutch and see if it helps as there is bugger all movement between engaged and the top of pedal travel.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (2nd April 2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast