OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High ish EGT's - Thinking Injectors maybe??

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High ish EGT's - Thinking Injectors maybe??

Hi Guys
    I have a GU4 with a ZD30 and 150000km. I have a minor issue with my EGTs and am hoping some of you have experienced this after like mods and can assist with the key piece of the puzzle I'm missing.
    The vehicle has:
    Standard Tyres, Rook Rack, Side and rear awning, roof light bar, high lift jack and shovel, ARB bullbar, winch, Narva 225 spotties (in bar), 2" lift, Dual Batteries, Cross Country I/C, dawes and needle valves, Full NADS, 3" exhaust with cat delete and 1 muffler, Roo Systems chip (was ordered with an economy tune but not convinced that the case), Lift Pump & spill line mod, Fuel manager water separator/30 micron filter, Full auto trans rebuild inc valve body upgrade etc, ARB Rear Air Locker, Rear Drawers, 40lt engel,

At 100km/h not towing and not loaded my EGT's are 350C and when I put the caravan on (17ft 1986 Jayco Poptop) it jumps up to 450-500C (depending on the day, wind, etc) My bail out temp is 550C so I dont have a lot of room to move when towing. We normally cruise at 90km when there is light traffic on the road and these temps dont drop much with the lower speeds.
    With no Van on when I go to overtake a car on a flat highway the EGT gets to 550 rapidly and can go over 600C with ease (only did this once or twice for a split sec to see if it would stop climbing in temp which it didn't).
    Since putting the chip on I haven't returned the improved fuel consumption I was expecting and am pulling around 13l/100 on a trip empty not towing.

Im not sure if I have an Injector issue or something else ive overlooked.

And advice or similar experiences appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Chat soon

Burgz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What scoop are you running mate? The factory scoop is not worth a pinch of old cocky crap. Get yourself a taller scoop to catch more air into the IC.

Can you tell me what your max boost is set at, and also what is the boost level at 100k's on a flat road just coasting?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    X 2 what boost are you running?
    heres my scoop
    13/100 isnt too bad.
    does the Roo chip have different settings??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something is not right for sure! What boost are you running at 100 km loaded (with the caravan/camper).
    Did you try to disable the Roo chip and then see what happens? To me it looks like it is majorly overfuelling or lacking air.

You'll need boost above 14 psi with such loads and I did not read favorable reviews about Roo's efforts. If you aren't getting the eco empty then the chip is/causing overfuelling. Mine has Dtronic chip and fuel eco is brilliant, even with loaded roof rack (not towing though). Empty I'm getting low 11 even high 10 per 100. I went from without chip at 12.5L/100 km and EGTs 320C to with the Dtronic down 11.3L/100km and EGTs 280-310C. I do have some extras (MAF voltage modifier, larger MAF housing, non standard intake pipe etc, larger air scoop....)

Mine is manual however. I assume you're towing in 3rd gear and not in OD and torque converter is locked. Am I right?

Regards

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day Guys.
    I haven't towed the van for a little while so the exact figures are a bit fuzzy at the moment, and I dont drive the truck often as its the wifes daily. I will have the van on the back over the weekend and will collect some fresh figures and report back.

Im running factory scoop, what difference did the taller scoop make?

When I tow I do tow in OD and have a converter lock but haven't towed since fitting. Iits pretty flat around here so haven't towed in any hills yet. Should I tow in OD with locked converter or not??

The Roo Chip does have settings but not sure what its on so I'lll sus it out and report this as well. Ill also do a run with the chip and with out and report back boost & ETG's at 100.
    Back in October I went camping about an hour away from home and the drive was a stormy heavy rain and strong head wind day and the ETGS were 500 C at 70Km/h (due to the bloody wind) so I pulled over and disconnected the chip and the EGT's didnt change, the only thing different was it was gutless as (like I had a 2nd or 3rd caravan behind me). The next day on the return trip the weather was perfect and with the chip reconnected car drove as "normal" (listed in opening comment).

Thanks Guys
    Burgz

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have a DP chip and found when set on Max it blew heaps of black smoke,
    for towing my modest camper trailer I found setting the chip to half way[5],
    it worked best for my setup.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it safe to play with the setting dial and see how it reacts?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On my DP chip I tried different settings until I found whats right for my set up.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Three Dogs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Burgz For This Useful Post:

threedogs (30th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgz View Post
    Thanks Three Dogs
    It might be worthwhile disconnecting the battery for 1/2Hr while you do it to reset any
    errors in the ECU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast