Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mud tyre circa 35" to fit on standard Nissan steel split rims

Guys, when my 32" goodyears MT's wear out I want to run larger diameter tyres on the GQ now it has the chev conversion. I have a 2-3" nominal lift in it. I don't want to have to carve the guards out to run larger tyres, so was toying with the idea of fitting a set of 'high profile/aggressive muddies' to the standard factory split rims - i have 5 rims that have a clapped out set of SIMEX ST10 rock tyres on them - great tyre below 10km/hr - nightmare above 11km/hr and noisy/ no grip in the wet on bitumen - these are 750R16 10 and 12 ply cross-ply.

So my ideal set-up would be the larger diameter muddies that don't require guard mods, mounted to the 16" rims, them mount up 33"x10.5R15 All terrains for general use on the rims fitted with the Goodyear MT's..

I also have a spare set of original Nissan white spoke wheels fitted up with near new/low klm 31/10/15 desert duellers but they are perished from sitting in the backyard without storage and not worth the risk, so i could use these rims also.

I realise that 33" is my legal diameter threshold, but am willing to take the risk with 35" or equivalents as long as no gueard mods.

Tyre recommendations pls would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fit drop boxes to push the front diff forward 10mm or use spacers if you already have caster correction. (I have a brand new set of spacers I'd sell of your keen) a very very slight trim or bend of the rear bottom of the front guards is what I would do. Not trim even, just re-bend. Get rid of the splits, they are terrible and hard to balance and keep balanced. Go to 16x8s and fit some 315/75r16 Km2. No regrets, you will have these tyres for the next 5 years plus so don't compromise.

Check the manufacture date on the "near new" duallers if they are not worn much but you have had them a long time.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (26th March 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Fit drop boxes to push the front diff forward 10mm or use spacers if you already have caster correction. (I have a brand new set of spacers I'd sell of your keen) a very very slight trim or bend of the rear bottom of the front guards is what I would do. Not trim even, just re-bend. Get rid of the splits, they are terrible and hard to balance and keep balanced. Go to 16x8s and fit some 315/75r16 Km2. No regrets, you will have these tyres for the next 5 years plus so don't compromis
    Check the manufacture date on the "near new" duallers if they are not worn much but you have had them a long time.
    Thanks Darren. Can you bring the spacers to the Donk party? You can run me thru the installation then. How much do you want for the spacers as I do have castor correction bushes fitted.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you'll still need to chop the GQ rear too Phil. Check out AB's & Rossco's at the meetup, a bloke in Lilydale did it for them and it looks full factory, price was right too!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (26th March 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really like to avoid the panel chop, so is it the width of the tyre or the diameter that is the issue? Also, is this guy recommended for the bonnet grills I want to insert re airflow? I have the grills but need them colour matched and the bonnet cut in two places. This is not a job for a butcher like me!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best to chat with the GQ blokes Phil for the tyre scrub issues. In regards the panel bloke, reckon he could do it all and he rolls the edges after chop too I believe mate.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AB do you have the contact details for the panel chop guy, assume he is a panel shop?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mud tyre circa 35" to fit on standard Nissan steel split rims

Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    AB do you have the contact details for the panel chop guy, assume he is a panel shop?
    Sorry mate he was leasing out our mechanics spare factory for that time and now he's working full time somewhere.

A decent metal fabricator should do it easy!

Heat and roll...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MB (26th March 2017), PeeBee (26th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a best guess, I'd say the height of any 35 would scrub the GQ inner guard above the chassis at full flex so offset is needed and the chop and rubber flares added thereafter. AB and Rossco are running 35x12.5/15 Km2s though not pizza cutters that may have a slim chance, pardon the pun!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suspension is relatively stiff, certainly can't flex like others I have seen on the forum, so if I could get a tyre that fits inside the guard and is 35" diameter I would be happy. I take on board Darren's comments regards split rim balancing as I used these rims for years with the sines tyres, wobbled and bounced around, but a radial tyre would not do this as badly as a cross ply, certainly since the dimes are 12 ply and with 5 psi still stood upright!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (26th March 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast