Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going solar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Can you point me to where Redarc spell out what their charging profile actually is please?
    Not sure what info you are after regarding the profile, but the info I wanted is in the manual here: The LifePo4's get a max 14.6v and no float voltage https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Im...n%20Manual.pdf

The issue with most of the DC-DC chargers on the market that are not LifePo4 specific is that they simply cant handle the constant current demand when charging and will overheat and shut down or fail. LifePo4 will pull every amp you can throw at it out of the charger, some simply can't keep up with the demand. I know the Redarc I am using gets bloody hot when I work it hard, so I am surpised it's still going. There are a few LifePo4 DC-DC chargers beginning to appear now, Sterling BB1260, Enerdrive DC2DC, GSL Electronics, Redarc, these are all pretty similar in that none of them have individual cell management capability. I use a BMS from EV Power in conjunction with individual cell balancing modules as in the picture of my battery below. My HV/LV will shut off supply at 14.7v and LV at 11.6v (User settable) This is really only a back up in case the BMS fails to do it's job.

2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    Not sure what info you are after regarding the profile, but the info I wanted is in the manual here: The LifePo4's get a max 14.6v and no float voltage https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Im...n%20Manual.pdf
    Thanks. I guess I have to eat my words. In that link Redarc are more specific in that they state a BMS is required.

CAUTION When using the Battery Charger to charge a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, only batteries that feature an inbuilt battery management system featuring inbuilt under and over voltage protection and cell balancing are suitable”.

I had thought that when they referred to the ‘battery set point’ to change to constant voltage that they were referring to some sort of crude on/off BMS based only on the average voltage across the cells. I guess I was wrong. Nevertheless I still cannot find what it needs to ‘see’ in order to change to constant voltage (i.e. how it determines the LiFePo4’s are ‘full’ (or ‘full enough’). I obviously don’t understand how the Battery Management System works in conjunction with the charger if that set point is not user adjustable as I was of the impression that the BMS controlled the switching on & off of the constant current? Can you enlighten me?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks. I guess I have to eat my words. In that link Redarc are more specific in that they state a BMS is required.

CAUTION When using the Battery Charger to charge a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, only batteries that feature an inbuilt battery management system featuring inbuilt under and over voltage protection and cell balancing are suitable”.

I had thought that when they referred to the ‘battery set point’ to change to constant voltage that they were referring to some sort of crude on/off BMS based only on the average voltage across the cells. I guess I was wrong. Nevertheless I still cannot find what it needs to ‘see’ in order to change to constant voltage (i.e. how it determines the LiFePo4’s are ‘full’ (or ‘full enough’). I obviously don’t understand how the Battery Management System works in conjunction with the charger if that set point is not user adjustable as I was of the impression that the BMS controlled the switching on & off of the constant current? Can you enlighten me?
    Sorry, I'm not fully up to speed on it myself, but remember reading somewhere that the setpoint is the nominal voltage, which is usually around 13.2v or 13.3v with LifePo4. The charger then reverts to constant voltage and slowly raises it to the chargers max voltage setting (14.6v in this case) My BMS basically monitors individual cells and will bleed off from one cell to another if required or shut off a cell that is getting over charged etc. It does nothing regarding CC/CV switching of the charger as far as I am aware. The manual for my BMS (BCUPPAK) can be found here: https://ev-power.com.au/IMG/pdf/BCU-PPAK-4C-manual.pdf This may have some info of interest?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve, for an extra $70 just taking away the extra wiring is worth it. Champion.
    That is definitely the way to go. I think for what I want the 25a will do the trick. I think going the 40a version is going to be overkill for me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi TD,
    I am going to mount the Arkpak in the car for now and later on put second battery in the back so I can take the Arkpak out and use for lighting etc. I was taking the fridge out of the car when we went camping but getting to old and fat for that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just going to get a foldout panel and only use when we go camping but now thinking of mounting on the roof. Would it need to be angled up or sit flat on the racks? Just a bit worried of damage if angled up.
    I was thinking of it sitting flat for day to day driving but hinging it so I could prop it up when camping.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is lucky I am bald Cuppa as you would not have seen my hair move when that went way over my head. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Covo71 View Post
    I was just going to get a foldout panel and only use when we go camping but now thinking of mounting on the roof. Would it need to be angled up or sit flat on the racks? Just a bit worried of damage if angled up.
    I was thinking of it sitting flat for day to day driving but hinging it so I could prop it up when camping.
    Flat is ok , had no problem on the caravan but did have 600 watt , the one on the front of my GQ is angled and has been on for about a year without damage from stones etc , I want a panel that's the width of the roof rack and about 300-400 mm wide .
    I would put this on the same angle but make up a mounting bracket that flips back if I hit a tree branch.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Covo71 View Post
    Thanks Steve, for an extra $70 just taking away the extra wiring is worth it. Champion.
    That is definitely the way to go. I think for what I want the 25a will do the trick. I think going the 40a version is going to be overkill for me.
    No Worries, I like the idea of not requiring the changeover relay. I have fairly short runs to work each day, so can't leave the fridge on 24/7 as the battery doesn't get enough charge. I think I'll also end up with a roofrack mounted solar panel so it can charge up while I'm parked in the open.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm very interested in this new unit without the relay. The relay adds a whole lot of new spaghetti wiring which isn't hard but so hard to keep neat and hidden...Might have a look and invest.

Sent from Note 4
    2005 TD42TI

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast