Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1988 GQ Stuttering

Hi

My 1988 Petrol GQ (only done 138,000) had a terrible loss of power some months ago. Misfiring all over the place and struggling up hills. Really running rough.

I put it into the local Nissan garage and they did some work around timing mechanisms. This seemed to fix the problem, until a few weeks ago.

Now I have a totally random misfire, happens any time, not necessarily under load, can be cruising along on the flat at 60k in 5th and big jerk happens, or in second going round a roundabout at 15k, big jerk.

When it happens the tacho drops dramatically, it's as if the engine just stopped for a split second.

Any ideas, apart from put it back into the Nissan Garage and tell them they failed.

Cheers
    evereti

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds electrical but not much info here to go on. Sounds a bit harsh to tell the local garage they failed. it sounds different and you don't say how many months its been ok since they worked on it. Asking them if they have any ideas or if anything was noticed when they did the work may get a better response.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maybe a loose ignition wire somewhere..
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evereti View Post
    Hi

My 1988 Petrol GQ (only done 138,000) had a terrible loss of power some months ago. Misfiring all over the place and struggling up hills. Really running rough.

I put it into the local Nissan garage and they did some work around timing mechanisms. This seemed to fix the problem, until a few weeks ago.

Now I have a totally random misfire, happens any time, not necessarily under load, can be cruising along on the flat at 60k in 5th and big jerk happens, or in second going round a roundabout at 15k, big jerk.

When it happens the tacho drops dramatically, it's as if the engine just stopped for a split second.

Any ideas, apart from put it back into the Nissan Garage and tell them they failed.

Cheers
    evereti
    What type ignition system does it have inside the distributor?
    Stock mechanical point system or electronic ignition upgraded system like Pertronix?
    What is the condition of the vacuum advance unit?
    Have you tested the vacuum advance diaphragm to see if it's ruptured?
    Have you ruled out any vacuum leaks by checking all the vacuum hoses, around the carby, etc?
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dom 14
    It has electronic ignition. Only thing electronic on this old girl.

Vacuum advance stuff beyond me technically. It will be going back into the shop so I will suggest that to them.

Cheers
    Evereti

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I installed a brand new electronic ignition system to my 1991 tb42s which was a Pertronix 2 system and had similar symptoms to you, although it only happened once warmed up. I ran some diagnostic tests and it turned out that the module was faulty even though it was brand new. I fitted a replacement module and it was fine.

>>>tappin from tassie
    Hello from Under Down Under!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

dom14 (13th March 2017)