Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hema HX1 Navigator.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Long Boot up times - usually due to you turning off the device and moving to a different location then turning it back on so it becomes a "cold boot" usually 5 mins give or take and common to almost all PND's... especially if you keep moving during the cold boot
    Warm boot of 1 to 2 minutes is because the device remembers its last fix and when the device gets an initial lock and LDOP at/very near the same place it was last turned off so is happy to go with it and fine tune the LDOP later.
    Hot Boot of 30 seconds or so is when the PND comes out of sleep or standby modes so is happily tracking the birds and knows where it is.

Speed Cams - not really worth a pinch of poo as the data file relies on user feedback and often take up to 24 months to update new ones and nobody ever tells them if old ones are gone so lots of artifacts.

Speed limits - relies on base data from Navteq/Whereis and again can take ages to have bugs fixed or changes updated BUT I have found them to be very good overall esp for school zones

Street Nav - Up until I last paid attention Hema use IGo so easiest thing if you are unhappy is to backup the installed one and update to the latest IGo NOTE the more 3D buildings etc you have running the slower the device.

Offroad Nav - Used to be an OziE lite software... they must have changed it eh?

Battery times - WiFi is a killer as you found out.
    Purely as a point of interest the GPS trackers I use that log continuosly and report twice daily via Iridium last for 18 months on 4 AA's
    This illustrates the extremely low power needed for the GPS side to continuously operate.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 26th August 2018 at 07:00 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah ive found the culprit its where the power socket plugs into the unit .its been playing up really bad and was talking to a guy with the same unit .
    He was an electrical or electronic wizz and discovered that the cord shouldnt ztick out at 90 degrees but should drop and hug the unit ,he said the cord connection to the unit was also a problem and had his sent back for repair only to be told it was a battery fault which he told them BS and apparently they fessed up about the faulty connection.
    Given his advice ive managed to get mine going again by rerouting the cord behind the unit but its going back for its second fix as soon as I get back home .
    As for out of date mapping Hema would the one youd think would be pretty much up to date but ive been on bitumen that was laid over 5 years ago still shown as dirt on the HN7 and their latest maps .

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good & not so good news about our Hema HX1 experience.

In my last post in this thread, 2 years ago I had recently bought one & whilst thinking it was not as great as I thought it should be for the cost, I considered it would do the job. There were a couple of niggles which were cured by a software update since. We have been using the HX1 regularly since then & it wasn't until very recently when a problem arose that I realised just how much we had come to rely on it. Being able to see where you are on the map as you travel really is very reassuring at times.

The problem is that the glass screen began to lift away from the unit body causing the screen to go black in the top right corner where some of the touch controls are located. Over the course of several days the black area increased in size. The control buttons still work if you can remember what they are & where they are, but the concern is that the black area will continue to spread, eventually blanking out the entire screen. That's the bad news, especially as the new unit is only supplied with a 1 year warranty & it's a tad over 2 years since I bought it. The good news is that following contact with Hema & explaining the predicament it leaves us in, away from home & travelling, & only at the current address for 4 more weeks before heading into more remote parts where we need the HX1, they have waived their requirement for it to be returned, examined & repaired (if possible) at my expense, (a process which could not guarantee my repaired unit would be returned to us in Broome before our departure date) & instead offered to send me a fully refurbished unit, which has been posted off to me today, with me to return my faulty unit to them in their supplied post paid satchel......... and all at no cost to me ..... a one off goodwill gesture. 24 hours ago I was feeling pretty dark about Hema, but their subsequent actions have restored my faith. My best guess for the reason that the glass had begun to lift is heat from the sun (it is mounted by suction to the windscreen) softening the adhesive used to mount it in the unit. However with our aircon due to be fixed on Monday coming we will be able to keep the replacement unit a bit cooler on hot northern days than has been possible recently.

IMG_0859 (1).jpg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done, matey,

Amazing what happens with most (unfortunately not all) decent companies when you have a sensible conversation with them.

So many people these days just chuck a hissy fit about a company/product and hoik things in the bin without even trying any contact.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (2nd May 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12