Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low coolant alarm. Which one?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the Engine Saver in mine for several years. Nice & simple & self tests each time ignition is turned on. Easy to fit to the TD42, just screws into the thermostat housing. Probably much as Turtle's diagram, but with a self test function & a buzzer (loud) as well as the LED. Expensive for what it is, but cheap for what it does.

Mine came on for the first time not long back, just after I changed coolant which needed topping up.

Harder to miss an audible alarm than just a light. The self test is essential imho, otherwise you have no idea if it is working.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 1st March 2017 at 08:28 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (1st March 2017), threedogs (2nd March 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah wow. Is there any current flow issues causing electrolysis with this setup?
    Wow, now I have to drag out my metalurgy books. Maybe by choosing the right probe material could make it actually reduce corrosion.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle_au For This Useful Post:

mudski (1st March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On electrolysis & low coolant alarm http://www.enginesaver.com.au/Engine...C_DC_Page.html

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah wow. Is there any current flow issues causing electrolysis with this setup?
    I wondered the same thing. Pretty sure the commercial units with a probe use an AC current on the sensor to get around the corrosion issues.

https://www.redarc.com.au/low-coolant-alarm
    Features

AC sensing to avoid corrosion
    Suitable for 12 volt and 24 volt systems
    The buzzer operates if the sense wire in the system is broken
    Built-in anti-slosh delay
    Output for external alarm and/or indicator
    Last edited by stevemc181; 1st March 2017 at 10:28 PM.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 14 volts with a 560 ohm resistor the max current would be 25 mA and only whilst the ignition is on. With positive voltage on the probe any electrolytic action would mean any corrosion would be on the probe.
    The bigger problem in vehicles is the galvanic action between dissimilar metals. A mixture of aluminium and iron causes the aluminium to corrode, and this occurs 24/7. That is why coolants need to have corrosion inhabitants. If you used a zinc or zinc plated probe then it would act as a sacrificial anode to both iron and aluminium.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle_au For This Useful Post:

mudski (2nd March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were talking about this yesterday, a workmate has the Redarc & has fitted the probe in the top hose using a Davis Craig adapter.
    As I see it the top hose and the thermostat housing will have coolant in them right up to when the radiator is empty as the water pump will pick up coolant from the bottom of a half full radiator & pump it through the engine, thermostat & top hose.
    My suggestion was to instal a probe in the ZD30's radiator cap which is just a blanking cap & has no pressure relief. It is at the very top of the radiator and would give earliest warning.
    Graham

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GeeYou8 For This Useful Post:

mudski (3rd March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    We were talking about this yesterday, a workmate has the Redarc & has fitted the probe in the top hose using a Davis Craig adapter.
    As I see it the top hose and the thermostat housing will have coolant in them right up to when the radiator is empty as the water pump will pick up coolant from the bottom of a half full radiator & pump it through the engine, thermostat & top hose.
    My suggestion was to instal a probe in the ZD30's radiator cap which is just a blanking cap & has no pressure relief. It is at the very top of the radiator and would give earliest warning.
    Graham
    I know with my Davies Craig one in the top hose of the Pajero, that it will set the alarm off with about 1/2 a litre missing. They are pretty sensitive to dropping levels.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 of the eg-01/02 with 2 sensors, so 4 total. 1 sensor hooked up to monitor water temps in and out of radiator, second monitor is being used on oil, working on hooking this up tomorrow on oil filter and oil cooler. They are simple, robust and aussie made in cairns QLD. The designer is readily avail and spare parts easy to get - have pinched a sensor wire twice - but my error in installation caused that. Happy with the gear and small to mount in the car.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudski (3rd March 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just spoke to a bloke who has the redarc unit. I asked him about it, since I remembered your thread.
    He said the unit takes DC volts, from the car so 12VDC. But the sensor is fed AC volts from the unit..... Hope it helps .

So I looked up the PDF file for it.

2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the Redarc low coolant unit today. I bought a Redarc brake controller last week and was impressed with the quality of the construction.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th March 2017), mudski (16th June 2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast