Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Jaysee,

You could try Butternut Creek Camping Area on the north side of the Mt Buller Rd near Merrijig .... easy for the Territory to get in there, but maybe not as popular.

I have never actually stayed in there, but have been through there a few times and it is on my list for when I have a large group as there is plenty of space, and I have never seen it like Sheepyard Flat.

Mic
    Cheers happy

Planning on doing a drive this weekend, will have a look around at as much as we can fit in.
    Last edited by jay see; 28th February 2017 at 12:47 AM.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    Cheers happy

Planning on doing a drive this weekend, will have a look around at as much as we can fit in.
    Take them down to Pineapple flat. They'll love the river crossing there in the Territory. Now that joint gets chockers! But some nice driving around there, follow the King River to the river Hut, Craigs hut is not far from here, and make your way around to Bindaree falls. Then loop back into Sheepyard flat.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Take them down to Pineapple flat. They'll love the river crossing there in the Territory. Now that joint gets chockers! But some nice driving around there, follow the King River to the river Hut, Craigs hut is not far from here, and make your way around to Bindaree falls. Then loop back into Sheepyard flat.
    Will plot a route tonight with all the mentioned spots.

Thanks all for the info guys much appreciated.

Mansfield would be the last stop for fuel yeah, both lpg and petrol?
    12/97 GEE YOU

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will plot a route tonight with all the mentioned spots.

Thanks all for the info guys much appreciated.

Mansfield would be the last stop for fuel yeah, both lpg and petrol?
    Yeah last stop for fuel is Mansfield. I can name a shipload of places out that way but with a Territory in tow, you are limited. Heres one for you John. A fun and quite easy drive for a single 4wd. At the T intersection I mentioned which takes you down to Fry's hut. The left turn 4wd track takes you to the slate mines. @Hodge has pic of this place. Good views from there.
    To get there, take the said track, you will go past Tobacco flat then the track will narrow a fair bit and go up the side of a hill. Just follow this track continuously, you will reach a long hill climb, nice and technical, but fairly simple for you. You will reach the top and see another T intersection. Turn left and follow this track, which is pretty much a dirt road with whoopdy's, and it will take you to the slate mines.
    From Sheepyards to the top of the slate mines is around 1hr. My pb is 13minutes on a trail bike until I stacked and busted two fingers, smashed my wrist and had the throttle side of the handle bars in my stomach. Lol.

I must get my maps out tonight and have a look at what else is around.

Oh. About 5 or so k's past Sheepyards in Tunnel Bend. A pretty cool man made tunnel that can flood when the water is high. I believe it was used back in the day to divert water through for gold mining purposes. But now you can walk right through the tunnel. You will need torches and some spare shoes as they will get wet.

Talking about this place make me want to get out there. Once I move and settle in, I'm off.
    Last edited by mudski; 28th February 2017 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah last stop for fuel is Mansfield. I can name a shipload of places out that way but with a Territory in tow, you are limited. Heres one for you John. A fun and quite easy drive for a single 4wd. At the T intersection I mentioned which takes you down to Fry's hut. The left turn 4wd track takes you to the slate mines. @Hodge has pic of this place. Good views from there.
    To get there, take the said track, you will go past Tobacco flat then the track will narrow a fair bit and go up the side of a hill. Just follow this track continuously, you will reach a long hill climb, nice and technical, but fairly simple for you. You will reach the top and see another T intersection. Turn left and follow this track, which is pretty much a dirt road with whoopdy's, and it will take you to the slate mines.
    From Sheepyards to the top of the slate mines is around 1hr. My pb is 13minutes on a trail bike until I stacked and busted two fingers, smashed my wrist and had the throttle side of the handle bars in my stomach. Lol.

I must get my maps out tonight and have a look at what else is around.

Oh. About 5 or so k's past Sheepyards in Tunnel Bend. A pretty cool man made tunnel that can flood when the water is high. I believe it was used back in the day to divert water through for gold mining purposes. But now you can walk right through the tunnel. You will need torches and some spare shoes as they will get wet.

Talking about this place make me want to get out there. Once I move and settle in, I'm off.
    Cheers Mark..

The idea for the Saturday drive is to eyeball a few camping spots and familiarise myself to the area and to make sure the territory will get in and out with no dramas.

Was planning on staying the night but youngest have a soccer match Sunday morning.

If time permits will definitely how a look at your route, itching to get offroad still need to give those reduction gears a run.
    12/97 GEE YOU

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mark..

The idea for the Saturday drive is to eyeball a few camping spots and familiarise myself to the area and to make sure the territory will get in and out with no dramas.

Was planning on staying the night but youngest have a soccer match Sunday morning.

If time permits will definitely how a look at your route, itching to get offroad still need to give those reduction gears a run.
    Yeah any of the camp sites along the Howqua will be 2wd accessible. So no issues there.

Onthe way into Sheepyards, on the Howqua track you will be pretty much heading uphill. When you get to the top theres a car park on the left at Mt. Timbertop. Oppostie there is a good track call Three Chain Tk. This is a fun track and get quite gnarly on the back side of this track.

Oh yeah. The track into Sheepyard is pretty long, once you hit the hair pin, thats half way. lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

jay see (28th February 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The left turn 4wd track takes you to the slate mines. @Hodge has pic of this place. Good views from there.
    If in the region. Definitely visit the slate mine.

My go to camp around there is the Running Creek reserve. But have spent a whole 8 hours one day driving around the whole region.
    I was just following so, I have no clue what track/loops we've done. Some amazing scenery and easy tracks. But one thing I do remember though is, some tracks you're on feel like nice easy graded 2WD track, and then out of nowhere, after a turn or a crest BAM!!!! You're in and commited, no turning back and some are really really steep... And then on the other side of that, it gets super easy again.

Also do you have the Hema high country book John??
    If not, more than welcome to come borrow my one. Some very nice and detailed guides and Loops to do in that whole region. Specifically the Mansfield / Jamieson/ Mt Buller loops....

2005 TD42TI

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

jay see (28th February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    some are really really steep...
    Cool, will finally get to test the reduction gears out.

Thanks for the offer of the book Eric but we should be alright..
    12/97 GEE YOU

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Hodge (1st March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Eric and Mark

More good come when we get back home..
    12/97 GEE YOU

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Hodge (4th March 2017), mudski (5th March 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fantastic mate !! Seeing those photos makes me wanna drop this work shift chuck a swag on and just go up there.
    That last photo, in front of your car next to that tree is where the below pic is from. And it's where my clutch let go (kind of). Fun times!
    Looking forward to the rest of the trip report and photos!

2005 TD42TI

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

jay see (4th March 2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast