Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sat Phones

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which just goes to show there's that much out there to choose from it can be a little confusing ,
    Casual
    Prepaid
    Opt in opt out
    Some charge extra for certain services
    Some cancel sim if use is infrequent
    Some charge for incoming calls
    Some charge like a wounded bull for calls

After reading the many comments I'm now positive I've picked the right phone ,network,and plan for me .
    Now I just need to sort out the gps tracking device if camper gets stolen .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 753 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Which just goes to show there's that much out there to choose from it can be a little confusing ,
    Casual
    Prepaid
    Opt in opt out
    Some charge extra for certain services
    Some cancel sim if use is infrequent
    Some charge for incoming calls
    Some charge like a wounded bull for calls

After reading the many comments I'm now positive I've picked the right phone ,network,and plan for me .
    Now I just need to sort out the gps tracking device if camper gets stolen .
    Absolutely spot on GQtdauto, that's how I feel about it as well.

I'm pretty sure I've got (or will have) the correct phone for my situation, the XT-Lite. Next is getting a service that provides an Aus mobile number for it so callers only pay Aus mobile rates. Then I just need to work out pre paid post paid, cancellations, infrequesnt use etc etc etc.

Did you now you can also buy sims and plans from OS as it's an international service and not an Aus based service.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (28th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post

Did you know you can also buy sims and plans from OS as it's an international service and not an Aus based service.
    The eBay link in my previous post should have been to the pre-paid sim from the USA, but something must have changed. Try this one (if it changes again try a search for the seller ‘orbitalsatcomcorp'
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thuraya-S...EAAOSw5dNWh~2b
    Whichever way you go please let us know what you end up with & how it works for you. You are a bit ahead of me I think, so your experience will be of value to me when I buy later this year.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    The eBay link in my previous post should have been to the pre-paid sim from the USA, but something must have changed. Try this one (if it changes again try a search for the seller ‘orbitalsatcomcorp'
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thuraya-S...EAAOSw5dNWh~2b
    Whichever way you go please let us know what you end up with & how it works for you. You are a bit ahead of me I think, so your experience will be of value to me when I buy later this year.
    Just read the fine print, renewal fee after 1 year is equivalent to 400% of the original subscription, ie the original card comes with 10 credits, for $40, then to renew the same number/sim its the cost of 40 credits. No doubt you would probably just ditch the card rather than renew I guess.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Just read the fine print, renewal fee after 1 year is equivalent to 400% of the original subscription, ie the original card comes with 10 credits, for $40, then to renew the same number/sim its the cost of 40 credits. No doubt you would probably just ditch the card rather than renew I guess.
    That’s not how I understand it, & not what my friend who has used it told me.
    Look at the prices https://www.thurayarecharge.com/prices/

You pay $40 for the initial sim which comes with 10 credits.
    You can then add however many credits you wish at the prices shown in the link. Ongoing cost is not $40 for 10 units
    Annual subscription costs 39 credits (US$45.50)
    They give you 3 months ‘grace’ past the annual renewal date to renew without needing to pay a new joining fee (i.e. a new sim or re-activate old one)

So essentially you can have the service available for US45.50 per 15 months & only ever buy extra air time if & when you need it from anywhere in the country using a free sat phone call. Or you can buy air time so it’s there to use without first needing to make a free top up call, & if you don’t use, it rolls over to the following year when you renew your subscription (also by free call).
    Last edited by Cuppa; 28th February 2017 at 01:57 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to go with Thuraya years ago, until I found out where they were based and who owned them. You can do your own research on this, but it is the main reason I refuse to hand any money over to them.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    That’s not how I understand it, & not what my friend who has used it told me.
    Look at the prices here

You pay $40 for the initial sim which comes with 10 credits.
    You can then add however many credits you wish at the prices shown in the link. Ongoing cost is not $40 for 10 units
    Annual subscription costs 39 credits (US$45.50)
    They give you 3 months ‘grace’ past the annual renewal date to renew without needing to pay a new joining fee (i.e. a new sim or re-activate old one)

So essentially you can have the service available for US45.50 per 15 months & only ever buy extra air time if & when you need it from anywhere in the country using a free sat phone call. Or you can buy air time so it’s there to use without first needing to make a free top up call, & if you don’t use, it rolls over to the following year when you renew your subscription (also by free call).
    OK, I can see your point. My perspective is $31USD includes 10 points which equals 6.6 minutes of talk time (1.5pt=1min)(assuming the SIM is issued free), which effectively values the call rate at 31/6.6=$4.69/min. To renew your subscription to the service costs 39 units or 26 minutes of talk time @4.69/min =$121.94, but you don't get the talk time credit, you still need to top it up over and above the subscription. I am cant see a disclosure about the actual cost/minute of the phone call, assuming there must be a 'cost' for the SIM in the first place. I also don't see the bit about the roll-over of time - most pre-paid services finish at the expiry date whether you use the credits or not - maybe I just can't 'see it'.

Does this sound correct?
    Anyway, if this works for your circumstances that's all that matters.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our plan is costing $15 a month which just covers connection to service.
    Cost to connect was about $40 , but there's no ongoing hidden fees , if you disconnect or opt out you pay the $40 again at time of connection whenever down the track , no time limit as long as you have contacted them to opt out .
    If we make calls or texts we just get that direct debit along with the $15 monthly charge .
    People calling in are calling a 0400 mobile type number so it's just like their calling a mobile not a satellite phone , outgoing calls are $1.99 , can't remember exactly if thats per two minutes .
    No yearly fees , but I think there is a two year limit on the opt out .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    OK, I can see your point. My perspective is $31USD includes 10 points which equals 6.6 minutes of talk time (1.5pt=1min)(assuming the SIM is issued free), which effectively values the call rate at 31/6.6=$4.69/min. To renew your subscription to the service costs 39 units or 26 minutes of talk time @4.69/min =$121.94, but you don't get the talk time credit, you still need to top it up over and above the subscription. I am cant see a disclosure about the actual cost/minute of the phone call, assuming there must be a 'cost' for the SIM in the first place. I also don't see the bit about the roll-over of time - most pre-paid services finish at the expiry date whether you use the credits or not - maybe I just can't 'see it'.

Does this sound correct?
    Anyway, if this works for your circumstances that's all that matters.
    The 'cost' of the sim is effectively the 'joining fee'
    The 'roll over' bit is in their FAQ https://www.thurayarecharge.com/FAQ-...a-prepaid-SIM/

" How long will my Thuraya airtime recharge be valid?

Airtime that you buy from Thuraya Recharge is valid as long as you keep your SIM card active (see below). It will not expire separately to your SIM card. This differs from prepaid scratch cards which expire after 12 months if not used. We do not sell prepaid scratch cards.

So if buying for emergency use only & you don't have any emergencies the 'standby' cost for the first year (15 months) is the cost of the sim. If you renew the following year the cost is the 10 unused units you got with your initial sim, plus another 29 units to make up the 'annual fee' of 39 units /US45.50.

If you compare that to a the cheapest Pivotel plan - the 'standby' cost is $15 per month plus connection cost of $40. So $220 for the first year plus call costs & $180 per year thereafter plus call costs.

To my way of thinking if I have an emergency the call cost is pretty irrelevant. What I want to pay for is the 'insurance' of being able to make an emergency call for the lowest standby cost. If I were planning to use the phone to regularly call home or whatever, then the call costs would bear greater scrutiny in the decision making as to which way to go.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 28th February 2017 at 02:18 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (28th February 2017), PeeBee (28th February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually you're right Cuppa , but I know the phone will get used by she who must be obeyed to ring the kids occasionally, and when we're not up north or whatever we can park the service until needed again .
    So it's probably the plan I need but personal circumstances are different and exactly how you use it depends on the plan you need .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast