Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 753 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sat Phones

Any sat phone experts here? I was looking at the Thuraya XT-Lite and wondered if anyone has any experience with them?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (27th February 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hiring may be better than outright purchase of one,
    A friend of mine brought Iridium years ago lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Any sat phone experts here? I was looking at the Thuraya XT-Lite and wondered if anyone has any experience with them?
    @10G I have owned an Irridian for quite a few years, the reason I bought it (2nd hand) was the sim card in my post paid mobile phone worked in the sat phone as they were both on Telstra networks.

So when in need of comms away from normal service just swap the chip to the other phone and as long as it was set on roam we were sweet. Also we had to have a clear line of sight to the satelites, bit like a GPS between tall trees on a cloudy day the can take a while to latch on.

Telstra also did a $20 post paid card and sometimes we bought one of them for a bigger group and split the bill later, it went up to $650 on one trip as one woman had to talk to all her family every few days!

At the time Tharasa was just being introduced to Australia and only had one satellite available, bit hit and miss with signal and had to be outside the vehicle. Ron Moon did a story about them then outlining the limitations but as with all things technical it would have moved on from those days.

Today there is a clip on sat phone adaptor that fits to the back of your mobile, know nothing about it but sounds simple. Pat Kallanan was spruiking it on one of his TV shows.
    Cheers
    Macca

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (27th February 2017), Rossco (28th February 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Thuraya SAT/GSM phone and also a couple of Iridiums.(9505A and 9575)

The Thuraya is a geostationary satellite which is always parked in the same position and hence you don't get the coverage drop out - albeit small- that you get with an iridium. Iridium is a constellation of overlapping satellites.

I would say the Iridium seems to have better quality audio than the Thuraya in steep country - Vic High Country, probably because you are able to catch a direct overhead signal, but for a short time. The Thuraya is best out in the open country where obstructions are minimal. My wife used the Thuraya in Nepal, with the correct SIM without issue. My neighbour recently bought a Thuraya and he is a grey nomad and away a lot up north - full coverage. The draw back with the Thuraya is that for GSM you need to be linked to OPTUS. For Satellite only or using it as a dual satellite/gsm phone you need a different SIM. I find the coverage in Vic high country with the Thuraya patchy to non existent except on clear ridge lines.

I use the Iridium by choice as it runs off my Next G SIM from Telstra, and all you have to do is activate global roaming before you swap the sim from the GSM to sat handset. Be aware of differing sim card sizes, especially if swapping from an Iphone to Iridium - just need to buy the adapter card. I used the iridium when in Antarctica with total success, whereas the Thuraya does not have cover - just depends on the style of service you want I guess. Iridium is very cheap to run with text, but expensive for voice on post paid via Telstra.

If the 'lite is sat only, then perhaps a prepaid plan would work, depends on usage. I think the Iridium gives ultimate flexibility, but in the outback or flat country the Thuraya provides total 100% call connection. I would say from experience the iridium is maybe 90%+ coverage in the Vic High country - can't comment on up north too much.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

AB (27th February 2017), MudRunnerTD (27th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    I've got the thuraya xt lite and seems to be ok. Great up north and in the Vic deserts it was great but high country if your in a valley it's a bit hit and miss

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (27th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great thread guys. Some great info here. Keen to get a few more re come in here too please. I'm going to make this s Stickie in this section. I'll certainly come back here when I need to buy one.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have just recently bought the Thuraya lite , have not hooked it up yet , but when we do we will pick the $15 casual plan , it seemed to suit our needs , phone calls are same as mobile phone but text are a bit dearer .
    I can ring and freeze account at any time , then activate again when needed , so if I wasn't going anywhere for 6 months plus I would cancel service which then costs nothing till I reconnect .
    When connecting it cost about $35 to connect initially and then $15 per month plus calls or texts or data , we will probably only use it for emergencys and for people to contact us so it will only be $15 per month remembering 000 costs nothing to call .
    The sim that came with the phone although not activated still allows me to ring 000 , other feature I liked is the gps function .
    Lots of forums lots of conflicting advice on which one to buy , some don't work up north some are patchy down south etc etc , was able in the end to select Thuraya because it suits what we will use it for and most importantly the price .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (27th February 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    We have just recently bought the Thuraya lite , have not hooked it up yet , but when we do we will pick the $15 casual plan , it seemed to suit our needs , phone calls are same as mobile phone but text are a bit dearer .
    I can ring and freeze account at any time , then activate again when needed , so if I wasn't going anywhere for 6 months plus I would cancel service which then costs nothing till I reconnect .
    When connecting it cost about $35 to connect initially and then $15 per month plus calls or texts or data , we will probably only use it for emergencys and for people to contact us so it will only be $15 per month remembering 000 costs nothing to call .
    The sim that came with the phone although not activated still allows me to ring 000 , other feature I liked is the gps function .
    Lots of forums lots of conflicting advice on which one to buy , some don't work up north some are patchy down south etc etc , was able in the end to select Thuraya because it suits what we will use it for and most importantly the price .
    Who is the SIM plan with you have? I like this feature for sure.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's Pivotel ?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (27th February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I did find was trying to get up to date and current info was hard , all networks constantly change .
    Did not go satsleeve because it was dearer to buy and I don't have a smart phone .
    the phone was$699 with SIM card and epirb was $248 but realised after buying the phone can be used to call 000 anyway and you can auto text your exact co- ordinates .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast