Thread: 12v House Supply

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12v House Supply

Hi All,
    We're going on a road trip in the truck and have managed to sort everything with the truck to make the old girl run well for us. No caravan, no tents, just tripping and staying in the back.
    One last problem though needs to be sorted. Power. The Safari's over here are all 24v and so we can't charge anything off of the cigarette lighter as this also draws 24v. I do have a 12v reducer but not sure if its worth wiring it into the lighter instead, because it feeds the stereo and for some reason I buried it quite deep in the dash when I installed it. So I was thinking of wiring in a small 300watt inverter, and wiring it into one of the start batteries, Just not too sure on how this will work with the dual batteries. Any thoughts, or should I just suck it up and pull the dash apart for the reducer?

Cheers, Dylan
    1992 Nissan Safari Granroad LWB TD42 after market turbo RE4R03A (for now) 3" straight pipe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had this problem with old 24v Cabstar. In the end I ran 2 x 12v batteries in series as the main 24v supply and tapped into the cable between the batteries to get 12v. Used a 24v relay in the accessories circuit to switch the 12v supply to the stereo and lighter.
    Maybe you could change 2nd battery to a pair of 12v. Also 12v batteries are cheaper and easier to get than 24v.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle_au For This Useful Post:

tuckertrucker (24th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    take a 12v battery box and charge via a solar panel
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

tuckertrucker (24th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    nah your making it too hard. this is something Truckies all over Australia have to deal with and should be simply and cheap and not require an extra 50kg battery.

See eBay for a start mate

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_n...&ul_noapp=true

Fit a 24v to 12v step down inverter then wire in a supply circuit for your USB points all over the car.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 23rd February 2017 at 08:58 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle_au View Post
    Had this problem with old 24v Cabstar. In the end I ran 2 x 12v batteries in series as the main 24v supply and tapped into the cable between the batteries to get 12v. Used a 24v relay in the accessories circuit to switch the 12v supply to the stereo and lighter.
    Maybe you could change 2nd battery to a pair of 12v. Also 12v batteries are cheaper and easier to get than 24v.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Taking a center tap is not good for the batteries, you discharge one more than the other then have to put the same current through both to recharge. 24v to 12v converter is the way to go.
    Graham

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its looking like im going to put in a 12v inverter under the dash, running of a 24-12 step down
    1992 Nissan Safari Granroad LWB TD42 after market turbo RE4R03A (for now) 3" straight pipe