Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new steering damper

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse my ignorence but what is the advantage of and adjustable steering dampner????????????

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PATROL-GQ-LWB...item45fa0b082e

this is what ive come up with, most the time it will be just family car , no heavy towing. I was thinking the performance or constant load, but dont want it too stiff
    family of 7 plus groceries or camping gear so i think the B or C stiffness will be ok

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Excuse my ignorence but what is the advantage of and adjustable steering dampner????????????
    X2 - not a clue .... could think of /make up some reasons, but they seem pointless to me ...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess the advantage would be if u live in the city youd have it set different but probably for the xtra 150 bux not worth it, id imaging if u changed seeting too much it would effect wheel alignment

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snake1978 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PATROL-GQ-LWB...item45fa0b082e

this is what ive come up with, most the time it will be just family car , no heavy towing. I was thinking the performance or constant load, but dont want it too stiff
    family of 7 plus groceries or camping gear so i think the B or C stiffness will be ok
    3 hours is a long time for a workshop to be only swapping the springs and shocks? Even so, beats doing it yourself if you don't have access to a spring compressor.

2" won't cause you any issues with regards to how soft it is as you keep the same link pins on the swaybars and as such, they are pulled up slightly tighter, not allowing as much "sway" as such - as one side pulls up, the other side will counter the force and do the same, essentially still keeping you flat and avoiding body roll - I'd go softer to keep it comfortable, and so you can drop the swaybars away when off road if you wanted and get some decent flex!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess the advantage would be if u live in the city youd have it set different but probably for the xtra 150 bux not worth it, id imaging if u changed seeting too much it would effect wheel alignment
    Ive replaced all my suspension with a BigO4x4 4" lift and have a big bore dampner non adjustable.....spose what im saying dont get talked into spending the extra coin for something that you dont need, I was under the impression only comp trucks needed em but dont know what use the adjustment is for

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what its for is 80% tar driving, and every other weekend taking kids up the beach
    we dont own a camper or caravan so it will rarely ever tow, so yea i think the performance type will be ok, the kids are all under 10 so wont be holding much weight

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea that helps, im not doing heavy off road so i just need something thats gonna work good but not go stupid money wise
    considering the ones on it are the original, the 750 ironman kit would do what i need

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what its for is 80% tar driving, and every other weekend taking kids up the beach
    we dont own a camper or caravan so it will rarely ever tow, so yea i think the performance type will be ok, the kids are all under 10 so wont be holding much weight
    Mate for your application i would stick with the kit you mentioned above the money you save on adj dampner would be better spent on a compressor to reinflate your tyres after a fun time drivin the sand, or recovery items

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that, i feel better asking real people who own the same cars than random people i know
    its ok for the mechanic to suggest something, but its u guys that have been there and done that so all your helps appreciated
    btw off topic, my last 4x4 was a surf , im still getting use to the idea of adding to the car to improve it, not adding to the car to prevent it from blowing up lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to snake1978 For This Useful Post:

YNOT (3rd May 2011)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast