Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 285 vs 265

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if you guys have them in the east, but Tyres and More in WA are having their May-July catalogue sale, and the BFG 265/75R16 123R, KO2, are on sale for $329 each.

When I got my first set of 6, two years ago, I got them for $330 a corner.

This may inspire a few, to consider. lol

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 15th July 2017 at 10:55 PM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (18th July 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had the same decision to make, for me it ended coming down to price as the 285's were dearer and I had to get 5 x 285's or 4 265's as I still had a good spare.
    As Cuppa said, there is no advantage using the 285's on the Gibb River Road or offshoots unless you are really heading off the beaten track up there.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick89 View Post
    I get about 1.5-2L better with 285s, second best upgrade I've done.
    Same as above...getting a litre per 100km better fuel economy on the 285 v 265. I do like the better clearance of the 285 tyres also and JUST fit under the mudflaps...throw a stick or some mud up in the wheel wells and it does get pretty tight

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPOCSM View Post
    Same as above...getting a litre per 100km better fuel economy on the 285 v 265. I do like the better clearance of the 285 tyres also and JUST fit under the mudflaps...throw a stick or some mud up in the wheel wells and it does get pretty tight
    When I did my GCM upgrade the compliance plate says 265's - so I'm stuck with them. Having said that, I wouldn't change anyway.

I can sleep at night and and not have one eye continuously looking in the rear view mirror, when I'm driving. lol.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    When I did my GCM upgrade the compliance plate says 265's - so I'm stuck with them. Having said that, I wouldn't change anyway.

I can sleep at night and and not have one eye continuously looking in the rear view mirror, when I'm driving. lol.

Pretty sure you can have up to a 50mm increase in tyre diameter on a 4wd over what the placard says.
    The below is copied from the national code of practice and WA follows this as far as I am aware?
    I also sometimes regret going up a tyre size, the small increase in clearance really isn't worth the loss of power and fuel economy.

The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
     4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR
    category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be
    certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not
    included in this category;
     4WD goods vehicles and their 2WD equivalents if the chassis and running gear are
    essentially the same as the 4WD version (N ADR category); or
     any medium weight goods vehicle (NA2, NB ADR category).
    Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the
    vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.
    Note: Increases in tyre diameter are subject to compliance with all other requirements
    specified under this clause (Clause 4.2 Non-Standard Tyres and Rims) and may
    therefore be limited by other factors such as insufficient clearance.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    Pretty sure you can have up to a 50mm increase in tyre diameter on a 4wd over what the placard says.
    The below is copied from the national code of practice and WA follows this as far as I am aware?
    I also sometimes regret going up a tyre size, the small increase in clearance really isn't worth the loss of power and fuel economy.

The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
     4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR
    category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be
    certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not
    included in this category;
     4WD goods vehicles and their 2WD equivalents if the chassis and running gear are
    essentially the same as the 4WD version (N ADR category); or
     any medium weight goods vehicle (NA2, NB ADR category).
    Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the
    vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.
    Note: Increases in tyre diameter are subject to compliance with all other requirements
    specified under this clause (Clause 4.2 Non-Standard Tyres and Rims) and may
    therefore be limited by other factors such as insufficient clearance.
    Thanks for the info. I choose not to check it out coz I'm happy with my 265's.

If it was mentioned to @Clunk that DX grunt was getting muddies, I'd still hear his laugh from 300+ k's away, a week later. PMl. It aint gunna happen. lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (18th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up on Tyres and more @DX grunt contacted my local store and they gave me the best price $359 balanced and fitted on 285/75/R16 KO2's
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (20th July 2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123