Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

285 vs 265

Looking for a few opinions.

Currently running 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Looking at changing tyres to something smaller due to doing some fairly serious k's soon (Adelaide to Gibb River Road and back for a start)

Pretty keen on the K02's, just wondering what people think about whether the 285's are worth the extra cash over the 265's...local supplier has quoted $400 vs $339.

Will be used for everything from rocks, sand, mud, hills, etc.

On a '09 GU

Cheers fellas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on if you need that extra inch of diff clearance

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd go 265s if majority was sealed or dirt roads where diff clearance isnt an issue as Clunky referred to.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guy, would the fuel economy difference be anything worth paying attention to or would it be pretty negligible?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You'd already be $240 in front with the 265s by the prices you quoted, and even though negligible difference in fuel economy between the two you'd only get better economy from 265s v 285s. I'd say go 265s if you're not scratching for clearance. Know how to vary tyre pressures for varying grip in different terrains.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally I would go the 285's. In my opinion the slight higher clearance will help especially if your in ruts etc etc. Last thing you want it to be dragging the diff centre on the centre of a rutted track. Thats a show stopper every time. I get it on the rear diff even with 315's as my rear diff is the larger H260 diff. Kinda wish it wasn't for this reason.
    On the highway your fuel eco should be better with the larger tyre, more speed for less revs, but it will be opposite when in low range or slow stuff. But the difference either way would equate to sweet fa.

Your usage is rocks, sand, mud, hills etc. So to me the 285 is a no brainer. That little extra clearance over the 265 will help. Each to their own though.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure that statement about a bigger tyre give better fuel to be true.
    When I put my 305s on my fuel figures go up.
    Even here the best fuel figures are ppl running 265s.
    A large tyre and small motor is more effort required to turn them.
    Id go the 265 every 25mm you go up is only 12mm gain in clearance
    so very minimal imo
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Adelaide/GRR trip, whichever way you go I can’t see any advantage for 285’s over the 265’s. The choice is probably best determined by what other driving plans you have.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Not sure that statement about a bigger tyre give better fuel to be true.
    When I put my 305s on my fuel figures go up.
    Even here the best fuel figures are ppl running 265s.
    A large tyre and small motor is more effort required to turn them.
    Id go the 265 every 25mm you go up is only 12mm gain in clearance
    so very minimal imo

TD, you have to remember that the larger tyre size will give you more distance for every rotation of the tyre, so in fact fuel consumption may not end up more at all.

In the OP, the tyre sizes talked about were 265 and 285
    In a 265/70R17 tyre you may have a rolling diameter of around 804mm ( depending on brand, of course )
    For the same brand tyre in a 285/70R17, you will have a rolling diameter of 832mm ....

What this means, is for every time your engine is running, for the same RPM you were doing on the 265 - on the 285 you will go 28mm further ..... that is why bigger tyres suck more energy out of the engine because the extra power required to turn the tyre a complete rotation, it means the car has to travel further.

This means you are going 3.5% further ( than your odometer is reading and what you were on the smaller tyres ), and if your fuel consumption has gone up less than that, you are actually in front ....

My fuel consumption probably went up slightly, at around 4 - 5%, so for the minimal extra fuel use, I get around 20mm more diff clearance with the bigger tyres.

My opinion is to go for the larger tyres, but for years and years, I stuck with original size tyres and went all over place.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    TD, you have to remember that the larger tyre size will give you more distance for every rotation of the tyre, so in fact fuel consumption may not end up more at all.

In the OP, the tyre sizes talked about were 265 and 285
    In a 265/70R17 tyre you may have a rolling diameter of around 804mm ( depending on brand, of course )
    For the same brand tyre in a 285/70R17, you will have a rolling diameter of 832mm ....

What this means, is for every time your engine is running, for the same RPM you were doing on the 265 - on the 285 you will go 28mm further ..... that is why bigger tyres suck more energy out of the engine because the extra power required to turn the tyre a complete rotation, it means the car has to travel further.

This means you are going 3.5% further ( than your odometer is reading and what you were on the smaller tyres ), and if your fuel consumption has gone up less than that, you are actually in front ....

My fuel consumption probably went up slightly, at around 4 - 5%, so for the minimal extra fuel use, I get around 20mm more diff clearance with the bigger tyres.

My opinion is to go for the larger tyres, but for years and years, I stuck with original size tyres and went all over place.
    Ive never heard of anyone getting better fuel figures by fitting latger tyres,
    as soon as I fit my 285 I get 15/100 when I had the OE 265s My fuel figures were 12/100k
    I will go with a HWY pattern will be better than a MUD pattern for fuel and braking
    Larger tyres play havoc with your braking ability as well
    The patrol is designed to run best with gearbox and diff ratios on 265s
    so by running 35s I travel further and get great fuel economy NAH wont work
    Last edited by threedogs; 14th February 2017 at 01:39 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast