Thread: 285 vs 265

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Ive never heard of anyone getting better fuel figures by fitting latger tyres,
    as soon as I fit my 285 I get 15/100 when I had the OE 265s My fuel figures were 12/100k
    I will go with a HWY pattern will be better than a MUD pattern for fuel and braking
    Larger tyres play havoc with your braking ability as well
    The patrol is designed to run best with gearbox and diff ratios on 265s
    so by running 35s I travel further and get great fuel economy NAH wont work
    Mic didn't say you'd get better fuel figures

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

threedogs (14th February 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are doing a lot of highway kms you could possibly get better fuel economy with bigger tyres.
    I know on our Simpson trip, Rossco was getting better mileage than AB and myself. Rossco was on 35s and AB on I on 33s. There are other variables too of course but shows that it is possible.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Ive never heard of anyone getting better fuel figures by fitting latger tyres,
    as soon as I fit my 285 I get 15/100 when I had the OE 265s My fuel figures were 12/100k
    I will go with a HWY pattern will be better than a MUD pattern for fuel and braking
    Larger tyres play havoc with your braking ability as well
    The patrol is designed to run best with gearbox and diff ratios on 265s
    so by running 35s I travel further and get great fuel economy NAH wont work
    I get about 1.5-2L better with 285s, second best upgrade I've done.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Warwick89 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (14th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only my experience but our old DX4.2TD work ute with as standard 4.1 ratios seemed to get near 50kms per 80L tank further on the 'highway' when I fitted 35" tyres. Unfortunately never calculated stop/start and hilly country usage but in theory should have been worse than the 33" tyres I bought it with.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nitro Grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by michaelgreeny View Post
    Looking for a few opinions.
    Currently running 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Looking at changing tyres to something smaller due to doing some fairly serious k's soon (Adelaide to Gibb River Road and back for a start)

Pretty keen on the K02's, just wondering what people think about whether the 285's are worth the extra cash over the 265's...local supplier has quoted $400 vs $339.

Will be used for everything from rocks, sand, mud, hills, etc.

On a '09 GU

Cheers fellas
    Hi Michael, old thread I know but interested on how the nitro grapplers performed when you had them? Looking at getting a set, have coopers at the moment but don't rate them. Did you have the 295s on sunraysias or stock alloys? Cheers - Westie
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy-Eta View Post
    Hi Michael, old thread I know but interested on how the nitro grapplers performed when you had them? Looking at getting a set, have coopers at the moment but don't rate them. Did you have the 295s on sunraysias or stock alloys? Cheers - Westie
    I've had a set of them for about 40k and find them to be a great tyre. I've used them on rocks, mud and sand and although you may have to drop a little more in sand (I run 12psi) they've been great for all. Probably only get 50k max out of them but that's fine with me.
    2007 GU ST-S 4.8 Patrol.
    40mm heavy duty springs, Dual batteries,
    140 ltr fuel tank,Custom 60ltr water tank, draws, cargo barrier, bull bar, IPF spotties, UHF.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with TD... thats why you should change the diff ratios if you "permanently" change tyre size and also seriously contemplate rotor and disc pad selections.
    IMHO for touring on formed roads and tracks I would choose the 265's... the extra 10mm of diff clearance won't matter squat really

Funny how people either love or hate Coopers.
    I have never had an issue with them and when I change to another brand always end up going back.
    I guess it is a 'horses for courses' thing.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 25th June 2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skitzyrex View Post
    I've had a set of them for about 40k and find them to be a great tyre. I've used them on rocks, mud and sand and although you may have to drop a little more in sand (I run 12psi) they've been great for all. Probably only get 50k max out of them but that's fine with me.
    Awesome feedback skitz! They seem to have some pretty good reviews and IMO, if I can get 40-50k out of a set I'd be laughing at half the price of the big names. I don't know too many people that are *using* there big namers for distance's greater then that anyway. Cheers bud

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Agree with TD... thats why you should change the diff ratios if you "permanently" change tyre size and also seriously contemplate rotor and disc pad selections.
    IMHO for touring on formed roads and tracks I would choose the 265's... the extra 10mm of diff clearance won't matter squat really

Funny how people either love or hate Coopers.
    I have never had an issue with them and when I change to another brand always end up going back.
    I guess it is a 'horses for courses' thing.
    I've given coopers a go twice, not gonna get me a third time. First lot had one peel like a retread at 110, was only 15k old and took out rear flare. 2nd lot had side walls break up and blow out again, not that old.

Bfg's I've had good runs with but seeing as I've got 6 to buy this time round, I'm willing to give the nittos a crack even if I can only get half the distance of a bfg.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    If you are doing a lot of highway kms you could possibly get better fuel economy with bigger tyres.
    I know on our Simpson trip, Rossco was getting better mileage than AB and myself. Rossco was on 35s and AB on I on 33s. There are other variables too of course but shows that it is possible.
    As darren and i found out you cant compair different cars unfortunately.
    His gu 4.2t used the same amount of fuel on 35's as my gq 4.2 did on 33's for the murry mouth trip..

From all experiences ive had and been told you roughly loose 1L per 100km of fuel per inch increase..

Im sure im too late but after doing Oodnadatta and the tanami, and talking to blokes fresh off the gibb id say go 31's.
    There are no big ruts up here. All the tracks are well maintained now.
    Its just corrigations the kill you so tyre pressures are far more important.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast