Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unidentified White Smoke (ZD30)

Hi Mates,
    I am asking for advise, I have an Y61 ZD30 DI automatic from 2000, it is powerful starts by 180° turn of the crank in -18°C, no water consumption but:
    5-10 sec after start it starts to smoke white, it smells bad but I can not decide whether it is diesel or what. Once it is totally warmed up there is no smoke at all, it is running better than I would expect from a "grenade".
    I've checked the CO2 by gas marker in the cooling circle: no exhaust in the coolant and it is quite clear.
    I have increased the pressure on idle up by a pressurizing tool to check if there is any reaction (perhaps more white smoke if it is gasket or head) but no change.
    So I believe it is not vapour in the exhaust smoke.
    I have checked MAF but it was very clear, no oil residue or burned fiber from the filter.
    I will make a compression measurement this week, but I do not think that this will bring any deviation to normal.
    Pls. advise how to proceed further, could it be deposit on ring grooves, or injector, or the pump or what else?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be a faulty glow plug, which would explain the smoke when the engine is cold.

I would look at changing the glow plugs anyway if they have never been changed, as they have a habit of losing the ceramic tip off the end after 150K
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Col.T (14th February 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the compression measurement I will remove them and check. I did not know about the tip losing possibility thanks for the info, however I do not think it is glow plug, it used to smoke for a while, not only for a 30 seconds but for 5-10 minutes till it is not warmed up totally, and glow can not impact for such a long time the behavior (at least how I see).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do not think it is glow plug, it used to smoke for a while, not only for a 30 seconds but for 5-10 minutes till it is not warmed up totally, and glow can not impact for such a long time the behavior
    It could actually. If one cylinder was not firing or burning until some of the heat from the others warmed it a bit, you might blow white smoke. I did my glows a short time ago, and was absolutely astounded at the wear in them. Two of them had virtually no tip at all and the other two were at least 90% eroded, comparing them to the new ones.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My glow plugs looked like this after 200k
    very hard to start IMO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

9. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    I've made a pressure leakage test on the engine via the glow plug threads, al cylinder is about 10%, gauge is calibrated.
    It means that the engine is in a quite good condition. Glow plug test was performed, they are OK.
    Now the injectors are at the diesel workshop to check their opening pressure and spray pattern.
    I think more and more that the VP44 pump will be the guilty, I do not believe that the injectors cause the problem, I think that this is the wrong control of the injection timing advance. Via the Consult it is visible that control happens either if it is cold or warmed up, but still I have this idea in mine mind.
    I would appreciate any advise or experience with this type of issue.
    Thanks in advance.