User Tag List

Thread: Would you buy it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you buy it?

Hey guys just wondering if you wouldn't mind giving your opinion on the following Patrol based on what is “on paper”.

I've had a GU before but it was a 4.5 petrol / LPG and I got sick of the lack of range.

Looking at buying a 2002 ST Plus. It has the ZD30 and a manual gearbox.

Car has 3600,00kms on it.

The owners bought it about 8 years ago when it had 280,000kms on it.

They say the top end was rebuilt after it cracked the head (possibly a piston too) just before they bought it.

Car has all the “NADS” stuff. Boost gauge, EGT gauge, dawes valve (car is running stock boost), turbo timer, blocked EGR and catch can.

It is owned by an older couple who live on a farm and has been maintained by their son who is a mechanic.

Spent a bit of time with him on the phone today and he said the oil and filter, fuel and air filters have all been done between each 10,000-15,000kms.
    They have recently done the wheel bearings and water pump.

Car has a new set of “General Grapper” AT tyres and has the factory alloys.

Has Pedders 2 inch lift (springs and shocks) and all bushes have been replaced in the last 50,000kms.

Has factory alloy bullbar, towbar and spot lights.

Interior and body are clean as. Paint is not faded (that nice deep blue colour)

Took it for a drive and it felt like it had more power than the 4.5 that I had before (thing was pretty clapped out at 430,00kms and running on LPG) and the 2.8td I've driven. before I didn't notice any “patrol wobble” (my old one used to do it something shocking).

Looking to buy it to tow my 14 foot boat (under 400kg including trailer)and go camping on the weekend. No heavy 4 wheel driving. Car won't be a daily.

I know the reputation of the ZD30 but this sounds like it has been well maintained and hopefully won't go bang for a while due to rebuild and “NADS” stuff. Also seems like a good candidate for a TD42 or LS1 conversion later on down the track.

They would take $6.5k for it with 2 months rego.

So I guess after this essay the question is: would you buy it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your prepared for an Engine Conversion in the future then the price is pretty good mate.

To be honest i was reading your post and all the way to that point i was intending to write "Walk Away" but the price is right and a conversion is a good option in the future.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudski (16th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't personally but I'd need it as a daily driver but for your use, it may well work out well for you........ but its the same for any car really, there is always a risk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,028 Times in 3,409 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buy a softroader if you're only towing 400kg and not going offroad. I wouldn't risk buying that vehicle for that use.
    Last edited by Plasnart; 15th February 2017 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm gunna say go for it, save as fast as you can for your LS2 SC motor.
    By the time you research and buy everyting it may go bang at the right time.
    With the work they have done it may not who's to say it will.
    wwwhat boost is it running if you know off hand???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 11,327 Times in 4,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrol Apart down in Melbourne are 'roughly' $15k tow in / drive out for a higher km TD42 swap over and 'roughly' $20k for lower km TD42T & or i. I have used the words 'roughly' and your mechanic son I'm sure is more than capable to do all for you himself which is great. I'm thinking that even if the ZD30 were to ever unfortunately go pop then $6.5k startup + a 4.2 transplant would near see all your money back if ever sold? Would have to check out going rates on 2002 GU's with a 4.2 in them, quite sort after wagons they are and prices do seem to hold high over the years.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    If your prepared for an Engine Conversion in the future then the price is pretty good mate.

To be honest i was reading your post and all the way to that point i was intending to write "Walk Away" but the price is right and a conversion is a good option in the future.
    Spot on Darren. That asking price is already ringing the alarm bells to me.
    We managed to get a full reco change over motor for another member here for about $6k I think. So if you are well aware, and prepared, and everything else is good, go for it.