OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACMA reverses decision ruling millions of uhf radios illegal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ACMA reverses decision ruling millions of uhf radios illegal.

Seems that 40 channel CB`s were to become illegal. Found this on another forum, first I had heard of it. Glad it has been reversed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-0...llegal/8235502
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (9th February 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,342 Times in 3,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rules like these are designed to keep the economy ticking over. Glad it was overturned.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Rules like these are designed to keep the economy ticking over. Glad it was overturned.
    Don't jump the gun just yet. They are only proposals. Check the ACMA website, they are calling for submissions on their PROPOSAL to change the rule.

Hopefully common sense will rule and 40 channels will remain "legal".
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Could be right there Mudnut, from what I can understand they are worried about "congestion" on the CB band. The original 40 channels are still on the same frequencies on the new 80 channels units, so what is the point of banning them when the frequencies are the same?. I thought the whole idea about 40 new channels was to deal with the congestion.

Probably some communication company pushing for this.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason they want to get rid of the 40 channel units is that when they created the 80 channel units they had to split the current bands as they could not increase the overall spectrum assigned for uhf. They could not add the extra 20 channels to the ends of the existing spectrum.

The 40's run on 25 hertz and the 80's on 12.5 hertz. If you have two units of each type talking to each other on channel 22 for instance then the fourty transmits and receives at 25 hertz while the 80 operates at 12.5 and has been tuned to be in the centre of that range. It actually misses out on 6.25 hertz of transmission on either side of the 40's transmission. That's why the newer units don't pick up the older ones very clearly as they can't catch the full transmission and the older units don't pick up the 80 as loudly as the 40. That's why in a mixed convoy you have people not hearing conversations properly.

the 40's also cause splatter on the higher channels as when they transmit on ch 22 they also transmit 6.25 hertz of their messag to ch 61 and 62 which sit either side of ch 22 on the eighty ch units. A diagram would explain it better.
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 9th February 2017 at 04:05 PM.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    The reason they want to get rid of the 40 channel units is that when they created the 80 channel units they had to split the current bands as they could not increase the overall spectrum assigned for uhf. They could not add the extra 20 channels to the ends of the existing spectrum.

The 40's run on 25 hertz and the 80's on 12.5 hertz. If you have two units of each type talking to each other on channel 22 for instance then the fourty transmits and receives at 25 hertz while the 80 operates at 12.5 and has been tuned to be in the centre of that range. It actually misses out on 6.25 hertz of transmission on either side of the 40's transmission. That's why the newer units don't pick up the older ones very clearly as they can't catch the full transmission and the older units don't pick up the 80 as loudly as the 40. That's why in a mixed convoy you have people not hearing conversations properly.

the 40's also cause splatter on the higher channels as when they transmit on ch 22 they also transmit 6.25 hertz of their messag to ch 61 and 62 which sit either side of ch 22 on the eighty ch units. A diagram would explain it better.
    FM transmitters on the 477 Mhz band (and most other FM bands) can only use a signal 8 Khz wide for voice. On the old 40 channel CB`s the frequencies were spaced 25 Khz apart but only use 4 Khz either side of the channel frequency. The new 40 channels were squeezed in between & a few added to the end of the band at a spacing of 12.5 Khz. Both still only transmit & receive an 8 Khz wide signal so there should be no bleed over, if they do then they are not within legal transmitting bandwidth.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    FM transmitters on the 477 Mhz band (and most other FM bands) can only use a signal 8 Khz wide for voice. On the old 40 channel CB`s the frequencies were spaced 25 Khz apart but only use 4 Khz either side of the channel frequency. The new 40 channels were squeezed in between & a few added to the end of the band at a spacing of 12.5 Khz. Both still only transmit & receive an 8 Khz wide signal so there should be no bleed over, if they do then they are not within legal transmitting bandwidth.
    thanks for the correction. I couldn't remember the actual units when I posted. We were told that this was the reason by someone who owened a communications business that spoke to us at one of our club meetings. He was salivating at the thought of selling a lot of new radios. Looks like the authorities are reconsidering.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I find it funny that talking on a cell phone is illegal but youre free to talk on a CB/UHF whilst driving?
    or have they changed that to.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I find it funny that talking on a cell phone is illegal but youre free to talk on a CB/UHF whilst driving?
    or have they changed that to.
    Bit of a grey area there too TD. Not sure of the rules on this but I always put the mike down if I see police about just in case they think it is a cell phone!. Problem could be these days with microphones with a display & lots of buttons you have to look at might be mistaken for a phone.

If Police & emergency agencies can use them I can't see it being a problem for the general public. Have heard stories of people being pulled up but nothing about getting a fine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

threedogs (10th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,342 Times in 3,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any trouble with using a mix of old and new radios in any convoy. I have been given a few old 40 channel radios that someone has fiddled with the channels though. I have no idea why they have done so. I keep those radios for parts.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast