Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New track rating app - feedback required

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also just realised the post I replied to is over 12 months old! My bad!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must look into it as we're heading for the cape from Northern vic then to the Kimberly and much of it on dirt .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Also just realised the post I replied to is over 12 months old! My bad!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    The thread is over 12 months old. The post you replied to is only about a day and a half old. He gave us an update via his old thread

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate, just seen your thread and have to admit you have done really well for the third degree some have given you. I understand your motives and think it is a great project. I've tried to sign up in your website but either my internet connection is piss poor or your servers are inundated with people signing up =P
    Thanks mate - any feedback is good feedback. We've have indeed getting a lot of people signing up and they seem to be getting through - if you are still struggling let me know and Ill punch it into the database manually.

I'm definitely been to be a beta tester for your app.
    Awesome, we are hoping to have something solid released by October but I will announce if and when we need beta testers. Best way is to sign up to the newsletter to stay on top of news.

Also, if your an avid 4wder and available you should drop by on our August forum Meetup in licola? Would be a good opportunity to show people how your app works?
    I would be keen to come along - available time will be the deciding factor. We are making significant moves with a few key partners interested in the project and time is limited. But Ill figure out how I can come along - always good to talk about it face to face with people. Do you have a contact name or email address I can use to get in touch?

James just on your analysis engine , im guessing this will be ultimately what will grade track difficulty autonomously.

How does this differentiate between say a driver taking it easy and crawling up or down difficult terrain vs a driver who limiter bashes it and goes as fast as they can all the way through the same obstacle?

Surely if it was partly a time based kind of analysis that it could be completely wrong in grading of the track.

Hope you get what im saying.
    Your points are spot on, however the analysis engine aggregates or averages track insights across all users who went up that track. If someone is fanging it up a track on the limiter, when usually most will crawl, he (or she) will be an outlier in the data and wont skew the average so much. Hope that makes sense. That being said, the engine is still being refined, and will benefit from having access to a big dataset - which we now have.

Much of the benefit will come from just knowing who went before you - if you know a GQ with 2inch lift and 35s went up no problem you can make a judgement on whether you will struggle based on how you rig compares, regardless of what difficulty the track has been assigned.

On your example I would also argue in low range, hitting the limiter vs crawling doesnt have a massive impact on your actual speed, more your ability to get over obstacles. When looking from a birds eye view your speed wouldnt look TOO different. Happy to hear rebuttals.

And dry versus Wet is a whole other animal.
    It is, and this is taken into account differently. We are also looking to pull in rainfall data from BOM to help with this analysis. Its not enough to assume because its raining it will be difficult (but thats a good precaution to take) because the terrain directs water away from the road differently from track to track.. Many a time Ive been up tracks that had heaps of rain but due to the specific terrain features that track was dry.

One way we determine wet vs dry is too look at the mods cars have, to see if there are differences in performance between cars with mud vs all-terrain tyres for example. This is an indicator that tracks are wet.

Awesome idea mate! Very hard though from recent experiences found up there in the Vic-HC. Planned burnoff/dozer blokes keep moving their signs without thought of the 6hr open track crawling start point to get there :-( !
    Thanks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

MB (21st April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most welcome Red mate :-)!
    Certainly wasn’t trying a third degree as some would say ;-) Probably the least techy bloke on this forum I’d be and it does sound like an awesome idea mate! Only honestly truly meant that government websites and verbal phone query info we follow can’t seem to keep themselves up to date, not you brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (23rd April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your points are spot on, however the analysis engine aggregates or averages track insights across all users who went up that track. If someone is fanging it up a track on the limiter, when usually most will crawl, he (or she) will be an outlier in the data and wont skew the average so much. Hope that makes sense. That being said, the engine is still being refined, and will benefit from having access to a big dataset - which we now have.

Much of the benefit will come from just knowing who went before you - if you know a GQ with 2inch lift and 35s went up no problem you can make a judgement on whether you will struggle based on how you rig compares, regardless of what difficulty the track has been assigned.

On your example I would also argue in low range, hitting the limiter vs crawling doesnt have a massive impact on your actual speed, more your ability to get over obstacles. When looking from a birds eye view your speed wouldnt look TOO different. Happy to hear rebuttals.
    Thanks for making that a bit clearer. I can imagine its going to be a headache to refine with so many variables.
    However i do believe knowing the min recommended mods would be very handy indeed

What about user ratings? Will they have any merit. Eg Joe goes down track. Rates that track 2 for difficulty . Has front and rear lockers 35s and 4 inch lift.
    Bill then does same track. Rates it a 4 for difficulty as he struggled with no lockers and 31s.

2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike02Ti View Post
    Thanks for making that a bit clearer. I can imagine its going to be a headache to refine with so many variables.
    However i do believe knowing the min recommended mods would be very handy indeed

What about user ratings? Will they have any merit. Eg Joe goes down track. Rates that track 2 for difficulty . Has front and rear lockers 35s and 4 inch lift.
    Bill then does same track. Rates it a 4 for difficulty as he struggled with no lockers and 31s.

I think that has merit for sure, initially I wanted a solution that didn't only rely on user input alone. I will look to build this into the next iteration.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on this for those who haven't been getting newsletters. I have release a prototype version of my newly built 4wd track map. The map includes track difficulties which I welcome you to scrutinise for accuracy. Testing has shown excellent results so far. This map has been made from track logs of multiple users, and our database continues to grow from contributions of personal track logs. I can process standard GPX track logs exported by most GPS tracker apps/devices.

www.newtracs.com.au/track-map

I have also put up a quick 1 min walkthrough of navigating the map. See here https://youtu.be/E8mX7dAp6i

As always keen to get your feedback on how it works and level of accuracy based on your knowledge.

Note this map doesn't work offline, still working on the mobile app for iOS and will be out early next year.

IF YOU HAVE TRACK LOGS, please consider contributing to the database! See https://www.newtracs.com.au/track-log-upload.

500 KMs of track logs submitted will get you your first years subscription to premium features for free as well as first go at the app as a beta tester.

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.

Cheers guys
    James

12. The Following User Says Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (17th December 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red1234 View Post
    Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on this for those who haven't been getting newsletters. I have release a prototype version of my newly built 4wd track map. The map includes track difficulties which I welcome you to scrutinise for accuracy. Testing has shown excellent results so far. This map has been made from track logs of multiple users, and our database continues to grow from contributions of personal track logs. I can process standard GPX track logs exported by most GPS tracker apps/devices.

www.newtracs.com.au/track-map

I have also put up a quick 1 min walkthrough of navigating the map. See here https://youtu.be/E8mX7dAp6i

As always keen to get your feedback on how it works and level of accuracy based on your knowledge.

Note this map doesn't work offline, still working on the mobile app for iOS and will be out early next year.

IF YOU HAVE TRACK LOGS, please consider contributing to the database! See https://www.newtracs.com.au/track-log-upload.

500 KMs of track logs submitted will get you your first years subscription to premium features for free as well as first go at the app as a beta tester.

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.

Cheers guys
    James
    Sorry guys, link to video is wrong, try this instead - https://youtu.be/E8mX7dAp6iI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

Touses (18th December 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red1234 View Post
    Hi guys

I'm in the process of releasing a new gb instagram app that will hopefully make 4wding and exploring the bush easier and safer. Its purpose is to provide up-to-date track information for popular tracks in oz, to allow better route planning and safer navigation. Users can see up-to-date track difficulty and conditions on any given day or week for all Australian tracks.

The app was inspired by issues I have personally had with planning trips into unknown areas or tracks, where often there would be limited recent track condition info. It would be difficult to know if my vehicle was capable, if tracks were passable, and what mods or gear I would need to have to attempt.

In addition, track difficulty will be customised to the user based on vehicle type and mods, since a hard track for a stock standard Prado might be easy for a kitted up GQ.

Keen to get feedback on this app prior to release from the 4x4 community so we can add any other functionality you may think valuable.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers
    Red
    sorry to bumping this very old post, just curious to know where can I have this app on my device? Please share a trusted source of this app! thanks in advance.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast