Thread: New track rating app - feedback required

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    You could do something like "Download area/map", like the current Hema Explorer on Android does.
    You select an area and it downloads all the map tiles in that whole area so it can be used when out of coverage.
    We have included ability to use offline due to probable poor network coverage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys quick update on this project

https://doableprojects1.wixsite.com/newtracs

Have a look and register your interest!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red1234 View Post
    Hey guys quick update on this project

https://doableprojects1.wixsite.com/newtracs

Have a look and register your interest!

New website here www.newtracs.com

Thanks
    Thanked 20,707 Times in 8,557 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks good mate and best of luck with it.

Heads up on your developer to be conscious of avoiding yanky spelling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th April 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Looks good mate and best of luck with it.

Heads up on your developer to be conscious of avoiding yanky spelling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now fixed! Also guys make sure to follow us on Instagram @newtracs

Will be posting updates and photos periodically.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The core of the value proposition is to analyse user route data to determine track difficulty. User input is not necessary and the difficulty is determined via algorithms in the background, normalised against vehicle type and mods. Track difficulties would therefore be objective and the app will provide recommendations not only of track difficulty based on your rig setup but mods you could add to tackle harder tracks.

Daily track updates would be pushed to your device and downloaded for offline use - no data connection required.

Thoughts?

I have to stop right there and think for a moment! Can't help but wonder if this is to be used as future tracking of 4WDrivers and where they go....
    Is this another "big brother" moment in development. I have a big issue with software running as it pleases on my devices without asking for permission or information or my choosing.

This is kind of near real time tracking can be absolute privacy nightmare, I would be happy to let others know of track condition at my choosing though but this is a big NO NO in my books. The software determining what exactly and based on what. What happens when someone else get their sticky fingers in to that data. How do I know what else is uploaded, considering that Android platform being full of holes and data mining I don't think we need another one. So once it analyses the data on the device I presume (nope it uses the cloud) does it strip the identifiers and determines that the track in question is passable? Or does is log everything in the database for the future references of any kind?

It reeks "the Cortana getting to know you" creepy spying TBH.

From the blurb on the website "Proprietary software analyses route data...." I have instant cringe when I read "proprietary analyses ....data"....driving history.... personalised....vehicle setup etc. Collecting personally identifiable data and then what? So how does it work? What/where it does store that data and who has a say? What are the benchmarks, how does it analyses that data against? And then of course is the question about monetizing that data as I'm sure there is an opportunity/interest in there.

Honestly, I admire your intention but like it seems with other software developers, somehow they think that users are idiots unable to have correct judgement, making decision etc.

Which idiot developer/s designed GPS navigational apps/software algos? Exclusively always have epic fails when it comes to a simple task of navigating to a destination correctly.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Regards

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must admit you make a good point , but we now buy tracking monitors so we can find our stolen items and family and friends can monitor our progress .
    Probably not a good idea to do any of this stuff if your names Mick and you live near Wolf creek though .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    I have to stop right there and think for a moment! Can't help but wonder if this is to be used as future tracking of 4WDrivers and where they go....
    Is this another "big brother" moment in development. I have a big issue with software running as it pleases on my devices without asking for permission or information or my choosing.

This is kind of near real time tracking can be absolute privacy nightmare, I would be happy to let others know of track condition at my choosing though but this is a big NO NO in my books. The software determining what exactly and based on what. What happens when someone else get their sticky fingers in to that data. How do I know what else is uploaded, considering that Android platform being full of holes and data mining I don't think we need another one. So once it analyses the data on the device I presume (nope it uses the cloud) does it strip the identifiers and determines that the track in question is passable? Or does is log everything in the database for the future references of any kind?

It reeks "the Cortana getting to know you" creepy spying TBH.

From the blurb on the website "Proprietary software analyses route data...." I have instant cringe when I read "proprietary analyses ....data"....driving history.... personalised....vehicle setup etc. Collecting personally identifiable data and then what? So how does it work? What/where it does store that data and who has a say? What are the benchmarks, how does it analyses that data against? And then of course is the question about monetizing that data as I'm sure there is an opportunity/interest in there.

Honestly, I admire your intention but like it seems with other software developers, somehow they think that users are idiots unable to have correct judgement, making decision etc.

Which idiot developer/s designed GPS navigational apps/software algos? Exclusively always have epic fails when it comes to a simple task of navigating to a destination correctly.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Regards
    Thanks for taking the time to give this feedback, you touch on an important point. I'll try to address as many questions as I can.

- The aim of the app is to amalgamate user data to draw insights, individuals won't be "tracked" as there is no value in doing that. It's the "patterns" that emerge from behaviour of certain vehicles in certain conditions that drive the analysis principles.

- The app will ask permission before collecting any data from your device.

- Analysis won't be in real time, it will be delayed (usually 1-2 days) as users will most likely be out of range for real time analysis. We'll never know where you are at any point in time because you will have moved by the time we see the data.

- Yes analysis will be done in the cloud, similar to google maps.

- The premise of this service ultimatley revolves around collecting user gps data for the collective benefit of the 4wd and camping community. We acknowledge some users will be uncomfortable providing this data and that's fine. There are plenty of other services that already exist where users can add info on tracks actively and don't collect data - in my experience these services are not good enough.

- your personal information (name, address, etc) is not required and doesn't need to be collected, it's not useful in the pursuit of making this amazing hobby safer. You'll need an email address to login, that's all. We will ask to provide info on your vehicle, but this will be generic info (make, model, etc).

- i don't think you're idiots. You are all providing feedback that will shape this service - you are subject matter experts.

- we won't sell your data. Period.

I can't share much by way of how the data is analysed as this forms the basis of our IP.

However for a little context, we are a startup with a small team. This is a solution to a problem that I as an active 4wder have come across many times and thought to try to solve. Given the overwhelming support (we have received amazing support since inception) this issue seems to be shared by many. So however it is solved I feel it should be done.

Happy to answer any more questions where I can.

Red

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

Rumcajs (10th March 2017), rusty_nail (20th April 2018), Touses (10th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy to answer any more questions where I can.

Red
    I'm curious as to how does the app actually work/figure presence on a 4WD track?

Does the app constantly runs in the background and checks the GPS data coordinates against known tracks or does the user activates the logging/tracking?

Is this app just for smart phones and tablets with GSM connectivity or will it work over WIFI as well?

Regards

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    I'm curious as to how does the app actually work/figure presence on a 4WD track?

Does the app constantly runs in the background and checks the GPS data coordinates against known tracks or does the user activates the logging/tracking?

Is this app just for smart phones and tablets with GSM connectivity or will it work over WIFI as well?

Regards
    Great question. Short answer is we are still working this out.

It will use GPS to figure out where you are, then logs data points and saves them to your device while offline (the file is small like a text file, won't take up much space). Once you are in wifi or 3G range it will sync this file to our server where it gets analysed with other user files. Results for each track are consolidated and pushed to your device.

We are testing ways in which the GPS will be activated, whether it be manually by the user or automatically say when you open the app.

Will work with any Internet connection.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast