Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New track rating app - feedback required

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The core of the value proposition is to analyse user route data to determine track difficulty. User input is not necessary and the difficulty is determined via algorithms in the background, normalised against vehicle type and mods. Track difficulties would therefore be objective and the app will provide recommendations not only of track difficulty based on your rig setup but mods you could add to tackle harder tracks.

Daily track updates would be pushed to your device and downloaded for offline use - no data connection required.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th April 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That being said, ability to add photos etc is a bonus, but the app trys to address current issues where information gaps exist when you rely on user input.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Is there a demo app we can trial before the official release???
    Not yet, we're working on it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (10th February 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    How does track condition be updated eg. Deer stalker is ok one day and impassable the next
    By analysing user route data in the cloud.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the idea of ‘crowd sourcing’ such an app, like Wikicamps does would be the only practical method of keeping the info relatively up to date for users. This notion of ‘analysing user route data in the cloud’ sounds somewhat ‘pie in the sky’ if you’ll excuse the pun. What user data in the cloud is likely to be available & updated regularly for any but the major tracks? Info which is already readily accessible from state road authorities? That may be worthwhile putting altogether into a single app, but I suspect is less than many folk here would want.

If talking about 4wd tracks (eg. High country tracks or Simpson crossing tracks) as opposed to the main connecting outback tracks (Eg. Birdsville or Oodnadatta tracks) to rate I just cannot see that sort of info being available on an up to date basis (in which case it is pretty useless info) without regular user input. I guess I could be wrong & perhaps you know of regular & reliable info sources I am unaware of, but I’d be surprised.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 9th February 2017 at 11:08 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct, user input is required, however the platform requires users to upload raw route data (GPS data, etc) which is saved to their device as they use the app on the track. This upload can be automated, as opposed to users consciously having to add info of track conditions, which is more unreliable. The more traffic a track has the more data you can collect. Analysing that data will allow you to infer track conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    To me the idea of ‘crowd sourcing’ such an app, like Wikicamps does would be the only practical method of keeping the info relatively up to date for users. This notion of ‘analysing user route data in the cloud’ sounds somewhat ‘pie in the sky’ if you’ll excuse the pun. What user data in the cloud is likely to be available & updated regularly for any but the major tracks? Info which is already readily accessible from state road authorities? That may be worthwhile putting altogether into a single app, but I suspect is less than many folk here would want.

If talking about 4wd tracks (eg. High country tracks or Simpson crossing tracks) as opposed to the main connecting outback tracks (Eg. Birdsville or Oodnadatta tracks) to rate I just cannot see that sort of info being available on an up to date basis (in which case it is pretty useless info) without regular user input. I guess I could be wrong & perhaps you know of regular & reliable info sources I am unaware of, but I’d be surprised.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this idea. I think it could be made very useful.
    Let me know if you need a hand. I'm a software developer with some apps of my own and 25 years experience in user interface design etc.
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say your biggest issue with this idea is the lack of any decent mobile coverage in 99% of the places that people would want information on these products, which in turn will mean people will need to wait till their in an area that does have mobile coverage in which time that data will be out of date.

Just my 2 cents
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th April 2018), VK2FMIA (9th February 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    I would say your biggest issue with this idea is the lack of any decent mobile coverage in 99% of the places that people would want information on these products, which in turn will mean people will need to wait till their in an area that does have mobile coverage in which time that data will be out of date.

Just my 2 cents
    Fair call, need to work through that issue.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red1234 View Post
    Fair call, need to work through that issue.

You could do something like "Download area/map", like the current Hema Explorer on Android does.
    You select an area and it downloads all the map tiles in that whole area so it can be used when out of coverage.
    2005 TD42TI

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast