Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New track rating app - feedback required

Hi guys

I'm in the process of releasing a new app that will hopefully make 4wding and exploring the bush easier and safer. Its purpose is to provide up-to-date track information for popular tracks in oz, to allow better route planning and safer navigation. Users can see up-to-date track difficulty and conditions on any given day or week for all Australian tracks.

The app was inspired by issues I have personally had with planning trips into unknown areas or tracks, where often there would be limited recent track condition info. It would be difficult to know if my vehicle was capable, if tracks were passable, and what mods or gear I would need to have to attempt.

In addition, track difficulty will be customised to the user based on vehicle type and mods, since a hard track for a stock standard Prado might be easy for a kitted up GQ.

Keen to get feedback on this app prior to release from the 4x4 community so we can add any other functionality you may think valuable.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers
    Red

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (9th February 2017), MB (8th February 2017), Mike02Ti (8th February 2017), MudRunnerTD (8th August 2017), Touses (8th February 2017), VK2FMIA (8th February 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of Wikitracks?
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th February 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red1234 View Post
    Hi guys

I'm in the process of releasing a new app that will hopefully make 4wding and exploring the bush easier and safer. Its purpose is to provide up-to-date track information for popular tracks in oz, to allow better route planning and safer navigation. Users can see up-to-date track difficulty and conditions on any given day or week for all Australian tracks.

The app was inspired by issues I have personally had with planning trips into unknown areas or tracks, where often there would be limited recent track condition info. It would be difficult to know if my vehicle was capable, if tracks were passable, and what mods or gear I would need to have to attempt.

In addition, track difficulty will be customised to the user based on vehicle type and mods, since a hard track for a stock standard Prado might be easy for a kitted up GQ.

Keen to get feedback on this app prior to release from the 4x4 community so we can add any other functionality you may think valuable.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers
    Red
    Yes sort of, (do you mean wikicamps?) but my understanding is wikicamps is for camping spots and other points of interest. In addition, it requires user input, whereas our offering would be provided for you and updated daily. Plus I don't think wikicamps provides personalised track difficulties/ratings.
    Last edited by red1234; 8th February 2017 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a demo app we can trial before the official release???
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red1234 View Post
    Yes sort of, (do you mean wikicamps?) but my understanding is wikicamps is for camping spots and other points of interest. In addition, it requires user input, whereas our offering would be provided for you and updated daily. Plus I don't think wikicamps provides personalised track difficulties/ratings.
    No, what I meant was a "crowd" updated, edited, added to app like Wikicamps but for tracks, hence call it Wikitracks? The advantage of "crowd" updates is there is the potential for 100s of updates per day/week, something a "headquarters" site would struggle to do in "real time" I think.

In any case I like the idea of up to date track info, with a rating for each track. Good luck with your endeavors.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th February 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your idea, we could include crowdsourced input for sure. Certain track conditions would require this.

The core offering would however be automatic - this is the key value add. Agree it would be costly but we are working on proprietary method of overcoming this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How does track condition be updated eg. Deer stalker is ok one day and impassable the next
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the idea of this. Would be cool if people could geotag photos of general obstacles or things along the track too.
    Eg big rutted out hill so you knew what you were in for or old railway bridge that could be nice for a stop.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike02Ti For This Useful Post:

VK2FMIA (8th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WikiCamps only failing is what one person reckons is great another reckons was horrendous, you have to learn to read between the lines .
    Same for track conditions , someone with 35 inch tyres and front and back lockers will say piece of piss when in actual fact it may be impassable .
    Also the more people who use a muddy track in a day may take it from easy to chewed out and how do you get that update with no cell phone coverage out bush .
    Love the idea though .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. Have planned trips over the years only to find roads & tracks that are on the maps either closed or locked, then having to make a long detour to get to your destination. I think user participation would be key, especially local knowledge of an area. @Mike02Ti suggestion of geotagged photos of obstacles & points of interest would be a great help.

One track in my area has restricted access, you need keys & a permit to use it. A lot of people go up there only to find the gates locked. Info on an app on how to gain access, eg; contact numbers & conditions of entry would make it easier, once again local knowledge would be an advantage.

Good luck with it, will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you go..............
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast