Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RD28T Injector Fouling Prevention

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RD28T Injector Fouling Prevention

I just had at least one injector go on me (possibly more, but waiting for the mechanic to test them on the stand). It seems that the spray nozzle or spring assembly inside the injector got fouled to the point that too much fuel was getting into the cylinder and causing either premature or late detonation.

I had the injectors rebuilt about 1.5 years ago right after I bought it, so it seems like it's a bit premature to have problems with them. I'm wondering if it was related to fuel quality here?

Since I'm in the heart of Siberia, our fuel is arctic diesel which isn't supposed to gel until about -30 or -40. However, from my understanding, this arctic diesel is super "dry" in order to prevent any moisture or paraffin, etc. in the fuel. Would the dryness of the fuel cause the injector to foul like that? If so, can it be prevented? Would adding 2-stroke mineral oil to the fuel help keep everything in the fuel system lubed up better?

I'm open for suggestions here if anyone has any other ideas. And just for the record, my injector pump is mechanical, not the electronic factory version.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 2,718 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start with a good quality diesel additive that offers a range of cleaning and lubricating advantages. Its pretty pointless trying to recommend one from Melbourne Australia, however have a look at the 'Wynnes' range of products. Its interesting you say the diesel is 'super dry'. I had a recent experience with wax coming out of suspension on a trip where the temps got down to approx minus 8, and despite 'double dosing' with a fuel additive to stop the waxing, we all had problems over the coming days.
    I add 2 stroke oil, plus a general lubricant additive to my fuel, more to cater for the reduction in sulphur in Australian diesel. i don't know if this will help your circumstances though - probably won't hurt?
    With luck some of the diesel guru's will chime in with suggestions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (28th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, mate. I have a feeling our diesel fuel is very similar since most of it here is the Euro-4 or Euro-5 standard. The difference would be our arctic treatment for the winter.

We can get most of the Hi-Gear (US) products over here plus a lot of the Liqui-Moly as well. Castrol is abundant as well. Those would probably be the biggest name products over here. What am I exactly looking for in an additive?

By the way, as a note of importance, the engine was completely rebuilt a year ago, and I have always run the Hi-Gear Antigel additive in the winter.
    Last edited by SiberianPatrol; 28th January 2017 at 09:26 PM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say exactly what you need to add. Regards fuel grade I don't think we are as highly refined as European as I know there have been issues on some makes of vehicles in recent years with fuel pump/injector problems due to fuel grade differences. The brands you mention are all solid suppliers for sure. I do run a Morey's fuel additive for normal driving, but really my vehicle only does perhaps 3000klm a yr. it a toy and work ties me up too much. I am guessing you are on top of your fuel filter changes? I have to drop my second tank and clean it out as it looks like dirt and mud had gotten into it from the filler cap. I am experiencing starvation when drawing from that tank, and getting dirt build up in the visible filters after only a few kilometres. Not a job I am looking forward to, very messy, stinky and difficult to contain contamination from diesel. Luckily my filters will stop the crud reaching the engine.
    I did also use a product which contained nano-meter size particles of iron. They promote combustion and also remove carbon deposits at a very small level. I ran them in 3 diesel vehicles and saw increases in performance , economy any life of injectors. I think it was called something like ,'smokeless diesel additive', and it's marketed as a catalyst rather than a physical chemical additive. Made in Australia, but BP petroleum add something like it to their fuel at the bowser, only for diesel.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filter was just changed literally 4 days before this happened. I have another one to put on if needed but I wouldn't think it would be needed that quickly unless I got some bad fuel somewhere. I run a Japanese brand of filter which is one of the better ones over here. Mann filters is also here but those would be the two best options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just talked with some of the guys here and they definitely recommend adding the 2-stroke to our arctic diesel since the arctic fuel lacks the necessary lubricants to keep the IP and fuel system in top condition. I'm heading any brand on 2-stroke will work as long as it mineral oil and not synthetic? Anyone else have any input on prolonging the life of the IP and injectors?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can only confirm mineral instead of synthetic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (1st February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am hearing that ATF is better than 2 stroke oil.... mind you i haven't tried either, i run a moorey's diesel treatment supost to boost cetane rating and lube pump amongst other things
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to garett For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (2nd February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting about the ATF. What properties are in it that would help the fuel system?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ive used Castrol 2T with good results
    Yo Mick no good news buddy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast