Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof top tent or pod tent?

Guys,

I'm thinking about removing my Rhino rack and replacing it with a rack to suit either a rooftop tent or a pod tent. Due to some back issues, I'm thinking a pod style tent would be easier and simple to open & close. Simple & fast is what I'm after. One concern I have is that the canvas seems to attach to the inside edge of the pod. Could that be a weather/waterproofing issue?

Could anyone who has a pod style tent, and is over 6'2" tall, please give me their opinions/views on them, good or bad. I know their probably much more expensive but I'll pay that for a comfortable and simple-fast set-up - pull-down.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maggiolinna do a great pod style tent I think they are South African designed.
    Personally Im not a fan of any style of RTT, up and down ladders WT
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (31st January 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Maggiolinna do a great pod style tent I think they are South African designed.
    Personally Im not a fan of any style of RTT, up and down ladders WT
    I tend to agree with you, but on those occasions when I don't have my CT behind me, I thought that a RTT or pod might be a faster and easier option than my tent. If proven not, for whatever reason, I would stay with my tent.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing you may not have considered (but if you have just ignore this).

We had a rooftop tent & I also have some back issues.

We were very happy with the design RTT we chose (Shippshape) BUT it was the back issues which determined it had to go. This had nothing to do with erecting the tent & the same problem would arise with any RTT, whether it was a pod or ‘conventional style. The problem (for me) is that you are stuck up on top of the vehicle in an enclosure in which you can’t stand up. This means that on the occasions when you can’t come down the ladder & get dressed outside - either because of modesty when camped in places where there are others, or because it is p*ssing down with rain (pod’s have no other shelter/privacy arrangements - some RTT’s do, but this involves extra set -up generally) that you have to dress sitting down. With my back issues I found this very uncomfortable because having canvas sides there is nothing to lean against. May not be an issue for you, but better to know before you buy rather than learn as I did.

We now have a CT & an Oztent RV3 for flexibility.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 31st January 2017 at 01:19 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (31st January 2017), mudski (31st January 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    One thing you may not have considered (but if you have just ignore this).

We had a rooftop tent & I also have some back issues.

We were very happy with the design RTT we chose (Shippshape) BUT it was the back issues which determined it had to go. This had nothing to do with erecting the tent & the same problem would arise with any RTT, whether it was a pod or ‘conventional style. The problem (for me) is that you are stuck up on top of the vehicle in an enclosure in which you can’t stand up. This means that on the occasions when you can’t come down the ladder & get dressed outside - either because of modesty when camped in places where there are others, or because it is p*ssing down with rain (pod’s have no other shelter/privacy arrangements - some RTT’s do, but this involves extra set -up generally) that you have to dress sitting down. With my back issues I found this very uncomfortable because having canvas sides there is nothing to lean against. May not be an issue for you, but better to know before you buy rather than learn as I did.

We now have a CT & an Oztent RV3 for flexibility.
    I hadn't considered the confinement issue, which could be a major issue. I was more concerned about the ladder access. My back issue comes from many years of riding motorbikes and can trigger at any time, but mainly if twisting or stretching. You raise some good points, thank you. I may stay with my tent and stretcher. It's definitely less restrictive.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had a rooftopper for just on six years now & it has been setup & packed up hundreds of times. Probably 10 minutes to setup & 20 to pack. Iv`e got the annex to go with mine, hardly us it, but it takes only 5 minutes to attach & comes in handy on those wet days. If staying somewhere for more than a couple of days then a tent is a better option as it leaves the vehicle free to use.

I`m 6` 4", 140 kg & on the wrong side of 50 & also have back problems, but I still prefer setting up the RTT than putting up my 8 man tent!. Rooftoppers are also ideal if the ground is rocky, sandy or covered in burrs. Also cooler up of the ground in summer & warmer than on the ground in winter. Downside......having 60 kg on the roof all the time & having to climb up & down a ladder in the middle of the night to go to the toilet.

Horses for courses I suppose depending on how you plan to travel.

IMGP3363.JPG

Rooftopper is ideal when the ground (granite) is too hard to put a peg in!
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I like most others here would use a strtecher under the awning. KISS

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried out our new setup for the first time this weekend. ARB Roof top tent (used once by previous owner), ARB Annex (never used by previous owner), and ARB Awning (used only a few times by previous owner). They were great for what we wanted and location was ideal with dry ground and nice grass to setup on. I'm going to get a couple of ground sheet thingos from 4wdsupacentre to put under the annex and under the awning and I'm also going to look at getting one of the sides for the awning so that I can close it off at the front for a bit more protection.

Looking forward to getting out in it again soon!!! Rooftop tent was no problem for both of us (wife and I in late 40s and pretty fit) and it was plenty big enough for my 6'5" frame to fit in comfortably. My wife found the stock mattress a bit firm and will probably use an inflatable on top of it next time but it was OK for me and I slept like a log!! It was a warm night but we had all the side windows up and the mozzie/midgie screens let through a nice breeze!!

Slide.jpgSlide1.jpgP1040383.JPGP1040384.JPG

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Gags For This Useful Post:

Avo (24th August 2018), Touses (13th March 2018), VK2FMIA (13th March 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Maggiolina tent but it is very expensive.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not a fan of having to climb down for number
    ones after a big night aroung the camp fire.
    Plus thats a lot of weight up top to think about
    as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast