Thread: Loud whining sound between engine & transmission

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud whining sound between engine & transmission

Hi, hope someone on here can help me as not getting much joy with garages in the UK.

I have a Y60 2005 4.2 petrol auto gearbox long wheelbase Patrol.

(This part may be unrelated to the problem but thought it worth mentioning just in case it helps). About 5 months ago on start up I heard a clicking noise form the very front of the bonnet which lasted for 3 to 4 seconds then stopped. It did not happen again when driving and would not happen when engine was warm. Only on could start up. Since the new issue (see below) this has stopped.

On to the main problem. Around two months ago she started to make a loud whining noise coming from underneath. Sounds like it is emanating from the back of engine to front of gearbox. The noise gets a little quieter when the engine warms up but never goes away. Does not matter if you are in gear or not. When you accelerate the whine will follow the revs (if that make sense). The engine its self sounds okay and has no issues with power etc. Same with the gearbox, no issues. My only thought was oil pump to the gearbox but am unsure. Finding garages in the UK reluctant to take her apart to find out due to cost.
    Your help would be very much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Moosh mate!
    If you hadn't stated "auto" was thinking thrust bearing region. Hopefully some blokes in the know will be along tomorrow AEDST :-) Cheers mate!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a noise like that on another vehicle. Could have sworn the noise was between the engine and gearbox. We dropped the alternator/ waterpump belt off and the noise stopped immediately. Only run the engine without the belt briefly or you might cause damage. A stuffed diode will make a hell of a racket on start up, and lessen as the battery charges up.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (28th January 2017)