Thread: Dawes and needle install.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dawes and needle install.

Sorry i know this has probably been asked heaps. Im installing a dawes and needle valve kit and having trouble with the instructions. From the word go. Can anyone give me a link to a thread or show me picture step by step for the install?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its very straight forward Sean. Just look at one thing at a time, and do one thing at a time and you will get through it. Which instructions do you have mate?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate. I think they are actually your instructions. I think i have it all connected now. But now to adjust it haha

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So ive got it in and the car is running. Are the adjustments normally super super touchy?
    Ive got it to max at about 15psi now. But it doesnt even start to boost untill 1500rpm and it hits 10psi by 2000rpm Is this right? (I only just put the boost gauge in when i put the dawes kit in so i never seen what it used to run)
    It seems to drive similar to what it used to.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wind in the needle valve a touch mate. This will bring on the boost earlier. Only adjust at small increments though.
    So basically, all the dawes does is cap the boost. The needle valve is for performance. Adjusting spool up rates and cruise boost.
    So if you seeing 15psi max. You want no less than 10psi at 100ks. Anything less at your exhaust temps will be quite high and too dangerous in my opinion.
    Once you get the drift of how these valves work together. You are best off rising your max boost as high as it will go before you hit limp mode. Dont worry about high boost. These motors handle hogh boost very well. Mine old Di was eunning 25psi max and 18 psi at 100k.
    While im at it. When you raise your max boost, you need to raise the 100k boost aswell. If you dont your turbo spool up will be slow and the car will feel real sluggish.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok cool ill have another play tomorro. It was stressing me out so i gave up today.

Just to set me straight on a couple of things
    So the valve with the spring in it is to set the boost?
    And the valve that looks like a tap is the one to adjust the spool up?

At one stage i had it hitting 20psi. But it was getting there super fast. I tried changing the tap valve and it struggled to get past 7. (I was turning it like a full turn at a time tho)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry another question to go with the previous post. To raise the boost do i wind the valve in or out (the one with the spring in it)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The brass valve is for max boost. Nothing more. The silver valve with the blue cap, the needle valve, controls spool up. Adjusting in full turns is way too much. Go 1/8th of a turn.
    Best thing to do asuming you have it all plumbed in right is to start again.
    Wind in the needle valve. Shut off all flow through it. Start the car and go and open the needle valve until the rod on the turbo actuator drops maybe 10mm. Go for a spin and see what max boost you get. For a start aim for 16 psi, or close. Once you get this, you need to adjust the needle valve. If the valve is open too much, the boost will rise too slow and you will struggle to get boost. If the needle valve is closed too much, the boost will rise really fast and you will get boost bounce. Which is where the boost will rise really fast and bounce past your set max boost then settle off. I never worried about this. I liked the way the car drove like this.
    Winding in the dawes, increasing pressure on the spring will rise the boost levels.
    Dont be scared of high boost if your motor will allow it. They will happily run at 25psi.
    So the higher you go in max.boost the more you need to wind in the needle valve to.adjust spool up as the two adjustments are relative to each other.
    On my Patrol, at 25psi the needle valve was almost closed right off just to get the spool up rate to work well.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks for that. i will have another go tomorro at setting it and ill post how i go

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i think i have it sorted. Its coming in at about 1000rpm. In my normal daily driving (shifting under 2000rpm) 2nd gear reaches upto about 15-18psi (is this alright?) But the other gears dont hit quiet that high. It maxs out at 18-20ish (its hard to keep an eye on the gauge and road at same time lol.) And i didnt see my egt go over 300. But theyre wasnt any big hills in that test drive it was pretty much flat and a slight incline..
    Will any of this be bad for the motor. If its not harmful im happy with how it runs ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast