Thread: The Jayco Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Jayco Thread

Hi guys, been meaning to put up some pics of my old Jayco which has turned into a build of sorts over the last year. It's a 1983 Jayco Dove which was in reasonable condition for it's age but was certainly in need of some good old TLC. As always wish i got heaps more pics of the build / refirb but kind of just started on a few things then before too long was well and truly stuck into it without taking and pics.

Anyhow this is how she was when i picked it up.

20160131_194917.jpg

20160131_194925.jpg

20160131_195145.jpg

Wasn't too bad but was very LOW had a very crude motor bike carrier on the draw bar which was the first thing to come off. First jobs after that came putting 12V LED interior lights in and a outside light and all new LED clearance and signals. All new fittings including power inlets & outlets, water & winder covers and clamps. Made some new roof bars the same as the old style as the old ones were beyond a wire wheel and paint! All new screws, bolts and polished extruded ally trims. Both front and back of the body needed new marine ply -you can just see it in one of the photos where it is coming away at the front, previous owner did a dodgy "repair" with some expanding foam!! Not good, luckily the rotted bits were isolated and everything else was good so after replacing the ply siliconed everywhere underneath to keep the water out.

Fridge wasn't working (leaking ammonia) so got that repaired at Caravan Refrigeration Services down Oakley way. Had to go back for warranty as it wasn't working great but they sorted us out, good service although it did take a while, think they were pretty flat out. Apart form that the interior wan't too bad just had to tidy up and fix a few things but nothing too major. The canvas was good but had rotten seams in both bed ends and needed a patch where it must have been put down with the light on. Managed to find a good bloke local (thanks @MB) who is handy with trimming so pulled the canvas out and got it all fixed for a bargain.

Got a axle upgrade with 12inch electric brakes, six stud pattern and LC bearings, new spring with hangers and greasable shackles, hand brake components and treg hitch as a kit from Huntsman products in Dandenong. Thought it was pretty reasonable, was around $1200.00 for everything.

DSC_0402.JPG

DSC_0403.JPG

Old vs new. The old axle was slightly bent, so glad I was replacing it. Also of interest the hub was offset about 40mm up so it sat 40mm lower than a straight axle. Welded in hangers and fitted axle under springs (spring over). When I first put it together it looked HUGE compered to how low it was before but after getting used to it reckon it looks the way it should now. Interestingly the final height is about 100mm lower than current spec Outback Jaycos. Noticed someone had done some bracing on the chassis one one side with angle, so did the same on the other side too.

Cut off old hitch and mounted the new treg on 6mm plate on the bottom of draw bar to get better draw bar clearance and match up with spring over height. Probably took about a foot off the draw bar which wasn't bad as it was pretty long and looks about right now I reckon.

20170123_201600.jpg

New BFG all terrains (29's could have gone bigger, but these seemed to fit well and do the job nice) on some second hand 0 offset white sunraysias. Hooked it up to the GQ and the height was perfect, couldn't have been happier.

20161112_131811.jpg

The spot for the spare tyre on the back was now too small, but wanted to keep it original, so got some of the rippled aluminium sheet (same material) from action aluminium in bayswater for 20 bucks a sheet, got it bent up and painted and got a spare wheel bracket made up from the engineering place just down from work which is handy. Stripped the old section off to widen it but realized that the original spare just mounts to the timber frame so didn't want a full sized 4by tyre hanging off that so make up some 6mm plate checked into the framework under the cladding that is braced back to the chassis, strong as now.

IMG_8013.JPG

Old

20170123_200022.jpg

New

Throughout the process wire wheeled the chassis back to metal and painted everything. As it was higher had to put on new swing down 750mm legs and a double step. Put on new quick release twin gas bottle holders and hooked up a Red Arc Tow Pro Elite to the GQ which so far works an absolute treat and is very minimal in the cab, all you can see is the control knob the rest is under the dash out of sight. One of the best things I did was to make an extension cable (as everything runs off the cars aux battery) for the 12V lights etc, so you don't have to park right next to it.

20170123_200005.jpg

From this

20160201_190139.jpg

IMG_8015.JPG

To this.

20161213_134427.jpg

20161112_131833.jpg

So far very happy with the Jayco, is comfy, easy as to put up and down and tows a treat.

I like your idea of having a Jayco / camper thread @mudski so anyone feel free to put up anything here regarding Jayco pop ups, even Sunwagons allowed ) . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rossco; 23rd January 2017 at 10:29 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (24th January 2017), Bigcol (25th October 2017), Bob (25th January 2017), Clunk (24th January 2017), gaddy (23rd January 2017), gubigfish (24th January 2017), jack (23rd January 2017), jay see (24th January 2017), Maxhead (24th January 2017), MB (24th January 2017), mudnut (23rd January 2017), MudRunnerTD (24th January 2017), mudski (24th January 2017), pearcey (24th January 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you start , it just keeps going 😉 fraser

Then up graded and built this one took us to Birdsville etc Birdsville track

Current ones not jayco so no pics in this thread !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

Clunk (24th January 2017), Maxhead (24th January 2017), Rossco (24th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, even sunwagons.
    Had one before I bought the Patrol.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Rossco (24th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You've done an awesome job Rossco!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Rossco good workmanship so how's the cables did you check and grease them
    and the fridge is ok now ?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Roofy View Post
    Well done Rossco good workmanship so how's the cables did you check and grease them
    and the fridge is ok now ?
    Cheers Roofy, yeah checked and greased all the cables, everything seemed pretty good there.

Fridge is good now, did have some dramas with it tho. Had to go back once as was barely cooling so it got another reco cooling unit under warranty, they reckoned it might have been a weak batch of ammonia possibly. It did them stop for no aparent reason the time i went to freestone but have had it running for a couple of weeks no dramas so hope its all good. Might have been a level issue maybe, I've got the level on the draw bar but need to check the level of the bit with the cooling fins on the back or the freezer bottom. There was a bit of difference beteeen drawbar & fridge and aparently the old fridges area bit more sensitive. Still can't beat the engie for the prefect icy cold beer tho☺. . .

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Clunk (24th January 2017), Maxhead (24th January 2017), Sir Roofy (24th January 2017), Winnie (24th January 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rossco for putting in the effort to start this thread. Lets keeps ot alive.
    What have you done inside the pop top?
    All the other Jayco owners need to get on and show off their work too. Once i sell my camper. I will be in the market for a pop top.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk