Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coorong National Park

Hi guys.

Looking at visiting the Coorong NP over the Australia Day break. Never been there before, can anyone suggest some good camping spots???

We don't fish, so not worried about going somewhere to do that, just some time to relax and unwind.

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have stayed at 42 mile crossing and found it quite good, they have toilets there too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this website for the maps for the camping areas

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/par...onal-park#maps

I haven't camped in there, so I can't comment specifically on these spots. We have camped closeby, and found some great spots, as long as you have a backup plan, and you know that there are spots on your way, we just go until we find our spot - and we know it when we are there.....

Last year we went into the Canunda National Park, just south of Beachport, and that was a real eye opener, as we weren't expecting it to be like it was - hard going, great 4 wheel driving, nice spots to camp, got stuck getting off the beach twice on our own with no-one around for miles ... it was awesome
    Last edited by happygu; 18th January 2017 at 08:42 AM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the info. I'll check out Canunda NP, sounds interesting.

I'm not a fan of beach driving I must admit and haven't done much, all I can remember of what I've done was that I had to push the vehicle harder than I liked.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (18th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks guys for the info. I'll check out Canunda NP, sounds interesting.

I'm not a fan of beach driving I must admit and haven't done much, all I can remember of what I've done was that I had to push the vehicle harder than I liked.
    What PSI where you running in your tyres? Beach driving is all about tyre pressure.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I can't remember, it was quite a few years ago. I can remember I was having trouble, then I really let my tyres down and it made a huge difference, I had full blown mud tyres on as well.

This Canunda NP looks pretty good. I wonder if it gets as busy as the Coorong NP?? I'm not a fan of crowds.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (18th January 2017), threedogs (25th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey 10G.
    My neck of the wood..
    Basically you can camp anywhere along the dunes as long as your on designated track and not making your own.
    Plenty sleep in behind the dunes.
    There are a few actual parks threw the area but pretty sure you need to book and pay for them.
    Ie little dip conservation park just south of robe.

Ill be around that weekend if youd like a touring buddy for a day trip.
    Its as soft as butter of late and heaps of under prepared, uneducated people going in balls and all and getting stuck.

But plenty to do without touching the sand.
    Bound to be markets in the towns and alwafs wineries to visit.
    Also a Robe beer house is a wicked drop.
    Im not an ale man but he had me drinking them like water.. soooo good..

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had two cars doing the Beachport to Robe run, and were going to go up into the Coorong to finish off but ran out of time, as our friends in the second car had to go home earlier than us.

To get them a bit closer to home so they could stay the extra night, we headed back and dropped into Canunda NP - not expecting too much. We just loved it ... the interior dune run is pretty easy and there is not too much chance of getting stuck, but it was a lot of fun, and there were some great views to be had.

One of the biggest dunes ( easy run up the dune ) has you at the top at least an easy 100 metres up looking straight down to the ocean on one side from where you came, and down to Lake Bonney on the other side .. fantastic views

The beach runs can be a vastly different story, and the sand can be super soft .... we got stuck trying to get off the beach a couple of times, and it is really hard going ( so if you go on the beach have two trucks for safety ). We got out fairly easily with the help of the Maxtrax, but there was a moment of panic set in, when you look up and down the beach and you see no-one, and it is the middle of the week, and not holiday time ....

I would think that Canunda NP itself would be less busy, as it seems to be a spot where all the real fisho's go, and isn't the known destination as such ..... I hadn't even thought about going in there, except I saw it on the map, and kept it as my backup plan just in case.

The only thing I would say, is that if it is hot you will bake to death in the sun out there as there is a lot of sand, but you could say that for the whole of the Limestone Coast.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Hey 10G.
    My neck of the wood..
    Basically you can camp anywhere along the dunes as long as your on designated track and not making your own.
    Plenty sleep in behind the dunes.
    There are a few actual parks threw the area but pretty sure you need to book and pay for them.
    Ie little dip conservation park just south of robe.

Ill be around that weekend if youd like a touring buddy for a day trip.
    Its as soft as butter of late and heaps of under prepared, uneducated people going in balls and all and getting stuck.

But plenty to do without touching the sand.
    Bound to be markets in the towns and alwafs wineries to visit.
    Also a Robe beer house is a wicked drop.
    Im not an ale man but he had me drinking them like water.. soooo good..

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Hey Kallen.

Thanks for the info mate, I should get your mobile number and maybe give you a call and we may be able to work something out at the time. We're (wife & I) going up for a rest as we worked through Xmas, so we may just end up being on our own, but hey, it could be pretty cool.

PM me if you want.

Thanks for the info.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    We had two cars doing the Beachport to Robe run, and were going to go up into the Coorong to finish off but ran out of time, as our friends in the second car had to go home earlier than us.

To get them a bit closer to home so they could stay the extra night, we headed back and dropped into Canunda NP - not expecting too much. We just loved it ... the interior dune run is pretty easy and there is not too much chance of getting stuck, but it was a lot of fun, and there were some great views to be had.

One of the biggest dunes ( easy run up the dune ) has you at the top at least an easy 100 metres up looking straight down to the ocean on one side from where you came, and down to Lake Bonney on the other side .. fantastic views

The beach runs can be a vastly different story, and the sand can be super soft .... we got stuck trying to get off the beach a couple of times, and it is really hard going ( so if you go on the beach have two trucks for safety ). We got out fairly easily with the help of the Maxtrax, but there was a moment of panic set in, when you look up and down the beach and you see no-one, and it is the middle of the week, and not holiday time ....

I would think that Canunda NP itself would be less busy, as it seems to be a spot where all the real fisho's go, and isn't the known destination as such ..... I hadn't even thought about going in there, except I saw it on the map, and kept it as my backup plan just in case.

The only thing I would say, is that if it is hot you will bake to death in the sun out there as there is a lot of sand, but you could say that for the whole of the Limestone Coast.
    Thanks for coming back and adding a bit more happygu, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast