Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vehicle Legal Weights

Hi all

After a trip to the Dump to dispose of old oils and weighing the ute, I started to think about weights etc. So as I had everything out of ute for cleaning, I had a good starting point to see what everything weighed and what I would need to leave out to keep within GVM. Got bathroom scales down stairs and started.

Basic vehicle cab chassis including spare tyre but no tray (from original Nissan brochure) 2015kg (ST's 2028kg, DX Leaf 2128kg)

Standard aluminum tray,Nissan bull bar, 9500lb winch with rope, tow bar, dual battery,
    steel custom canopy with canvas sides, security screens,solar panel,awning 570

Driver (ok I'm a lightweight) 65

Sub total from scales at dump 2650
    Fuel 180
    Water tanks (3 X 50 l plastic tanks with individual taps) 15
    Water (one tank only for normal use) 50
    Tools box, sockets & air pump 18
    Recovery gear 13
    Spares (oil,belts, filters etc) 15
    Trailblazer fridge/freezer (empty) 40
    Kitchen (home made plywood with shelves) 30
    Bed frame & bedding (storage underneath) 18
    Camping gear chair & table 6
    Filleting board/table 7
    Gas bottle 15
    Beer (12kg per 30 cans) 12
    Clothes ( I travel light and normally in warm/hot weather) 10
    Camera, computer etc 10

Sub total 3089

Add variables as-
    Fishing gear 20
    Food 25
    Freezer contents- can fit 30 kg pilchards + food & extra beer 50
    Total 3184kg

GVM for coil cabs is 3150kg and leafys 3400kg.

So I have a minor problem with this load but would normally carry a lot more consumables. and suggest most of us have the same issue.
    Thinking of removing winch as I have not used it in anger so far and then can add extra essentials (read beer) and extra water if going bush.
    It is amazing how quickly it adds up when a few extras are thrown in.
    I have no doubt vehicle can handle considerably more than I carry but if some idiot hits me and if he is insured, the insurance company chases me because I am over GVM, I stand to loose everything.
    I am certain that most if not all travelers I saw on my trip to the West last year would have been over GVM and CVM when towing.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wizard most 4x4 s heading out for a trip will be over their GVM but even worse will be the camp trailer van boat guys .I heard it spoken that the mermaids are now running the caravaners over the scales up here in Nth QLD but have yet to see it or be told first hand so dont really know if its myth or not . Just bought a canopy and its got to go to Jenny Craige .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm yet to see a Patrol with the usual things like, bull bar, winch, roof rack, maybe a second battery... That isn't right on or near GVM with full tanks a driver and a passenger. When I took my rig over the pits recently I s### bricks. I thought I was way under...

2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Plenty written on this subject, some here even have a GMV upgrade
    Weight has always been the enemy of the weary 4x4 traveller, there are
    plenty of ways to cut some weight, plasma winch rope is one
    Last edited by threedogs; 14th January 2017 at 03:09 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I'm yet to see a Patrol with the usual things like, bull bar, winch, roof rack, maybe a second battery... That isn't right on or near GVM with full tanks a driver and a passenger. When I took my rig over the pits recently I s### bricks. I thought I was way under...

what did you weigh in at ??????
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be taking delivery of a new GU Legend series wagon in a week or so. It is currently in getting a GVM Upgrade kit fitted, coil tower braces, rear diff lamination etc etc. This will change the GVM from 3060kg to 3505kg which should be more than enough for my needs. Being over GVM is almost a given for most vehicles on extended offroad trips, particularly when you start adding bullbars, bash plates, towbars, drawers etc. The aftermarket suppliers should be forced to tell their customers exactly what an item weighs and how it affects their load carrying capacity.

Lots of people running around with no idea on their vehicles weight and some would say that ignorance is bliss. Maybe it is, but I prefer to keep it legal if possible. Obviously doing a tough trip with the least amount of weight you can get away with is ideal, but I'm not leaving the piss at home for anyone

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (14th January 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    what did you weigh in at ??????
    2840kg.
    So that is... both tanks full (125L), alloy roof rack, bull bar, winch with 28m of rope. 33 tyres + steel rims. Second battery + cargo barrier... My GVM is 3080.
    Add me in and thats 2910. Leaves around 150kg~ to play with. Add the missus and the kid in, maybe the fridge and it's game over... That is with ZERO camping equipment added.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm yet to see a Patrol with the usual things like, bull bar, winch, roof rack, maybe a second battery... That isn't right on or near GVM with full tanks a driver and a passenger.
    Um cause they don't give a shit, they are not built for four wheel drivers / campers / tourers but soccer mums taking the kids 2 the shopping center......... I could say Y62 for example
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th January 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2840kg.
    So that is... both tanks full (125L), alloy roof rack, bull bar, winch with 28m of rope. 33 tyres + steel rims. Second battery + cargo barrier... My GVM is 3080.
    Add me in and thats 2910. Leaves around 150kg~ to play with. Add the missus and the kid in, maybe the fridge and it's game over... That is with ZERO camping equipment added.
    Haha i weighed the exact with one tank empty and the main half full. Bar and winch only.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    I will be taking delivery of a new GU Legend series wagon in a week or so. It is currently in getting a GVM Upgrade kit fitted, coil tower braces, rear diff lamination etc etc. This will change the GVM from 3060kg to 3505kg which should be more than enough for my needs. Being over GVM is almost a given for most vehicles on extended offroad trips, particularly when you start adding bullbars, bash plates, towbars, drawers etc. The aftermarket suppliers should be forced to tell their customers exactly what an item weighs and how it affects their load carrying capacity.

Lots of people running around with no idea on their vehicles weight and some would say that ignorance is bliss. Maybe it is, but I prefer to keep it legal if possible. Obviously doing a tough trip with the least amount of weight you can get away with is ideal, but I'm not leaving the piss at home for anyone
    I and many others would like to know how to get GVM upgrade on the wagons and coil utes. Cuppa and others have done it with leafy's but have not heard of coils.
    Could you please post what dealer does and how to get the upgrade signed off.
    Agree with ignorance bit as I was talking to a 79 series ute owner over in the west last year who had a camper unit (not sure of the brand) on the back and he thought is was running at about about 4000kg. His GVM was just over 3000kg. When we had a look under the bonnet, no mod plate. He thought the mob who sold the unit to him would have everything legal but obviously not. A sale is a sale no matter what.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast