Thread: Vehicle Legal Weights

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    I and many others would like to know how to get GVM upgrade on the wagons and coil utes. Cuppa and others have done it with leafy's but have not heard of coils.
    Could you please post what dealer does and how to get the upgrade signed off.
    Now there is a retirement plan for a engineer touring qld doing inspections, a bit of r+d,claiming all expenses like cvan park fuel living away from home allowances etc etc .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    I and many others would like to know how to get GVM upgrade on the wagons and coil utes. Cuppa and others have done it with leafy's but have not heard of coils.
    Could you please post what dealer does and how to get the upgrade signed off.
    The only company I have found that does a nationally approved GVM upgrade to 3505kg on the coil GU wagons is Pedders. I am having this done prior to first rego, though I think it can be done post rego, but may require further engineers inspection? I rang all the major suspension companies over here and it seems there has been a bit of a crackdown since December in WA on anyone supplying an upgrade over the factory axle limits. I found a couple who would do an upgrade to 3300kg post rego, but the cost was similar to the Pedders upgrade and did not include coil tower braces or rear diff lamination. While I have been no fan of the Pedders gear in the past, I have no first hand experience with it and it seems my hands are tied if I want the GVM upgrade to 3505kg.

Total cost is around $4464.00, this includes the diff and tower bracing, adjustable drag link and offset camber bushes (rubber)and I also need to change mine from a 7 seater to a 5 seater as that is what the kit is approved for nationally. I've attached a PDF from Pedders regarding the upgrade. PED 3190G Nissan GU Patrol GVM Flyer FINAL.PDF

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Wizard52 (16th January 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve. Will you be carrying much load continuously ?
    Reason I ask is, we have a patrol at work thats not used any more so it has just the basics in it. It has gvm upgrade, and i think there is a pedders sticker at the rear so, i am assuming it is done by them. I believe this car is ex-Telstra.
    What I was getting at is, without load, this car is like a shopping trolley down a set of stairs... Suspension is ridiculously stiff.
    Last edited by Hodge; 15th January 2017 at 04:01 PM.
    2005 TD42TI

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (16th January 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Reason I ask is, we have a patrol at work thats not used any more so it has just the basics in it. It has gvm upgrade, and i think there is a pedders sticker at the rear so, i am assuming it is done by them. I believe this car is ex-Telstra.
    What I was getting at is, without load, this car is like a shopping trolley down a set of stairs... Suspension is ridiculously stiff.
    Know that feeling. I have a Cabstar Dualcab with BD30 engine. GVM is 4040 but usually driving around with 2000 kg mostly over front beam axle. Drives like a seesaw - front goes up and down, back either doesn't move or bounces on truck tyres. Add a bit of rain with the drum brakes and it's nearly impossible to not lockup the rear.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Yep, It will be loaded most of the time, drawers, fridges, tools, water, fuel etc etc. The harshness of ride is pretty subjective really, I do prefer a much firmer ride though. The on road manners don't worry me much, so long as it performs in the rough stuff. It won't be spending much time empty and its surprising how quickly the weight adds up when the accessories keep coming. If I get a chance, I'll get it weighed when I pick it up and see what my starting point is with full fuel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle_au View Post
    Know that feeling. I have a Cabstar Dualcab with BD30 engine. GVM is 4040 but usually driving around with 2000 kg mostly over front beam axle. Drives like a seesaw - front goes up and down, back either doesn't move or bounces on truck tyres. Add a bit of rain with the drum brakes and it's nearly impossible to not lockup the rear.
    For my GVM upgrade (Lovells post rego) it had to sit level & remain level under brakes. This was checked by the engineer. (Engineer was required as kit was for a 3.0litre Patrol, & fitted to a 4.2). Front coils are the same rate as originals but a bit taller. Seems to work no seesawing. Plated & legal all around Oz, but can only be sold with plate in Vic. Interstate buyer would need to get it re-engineered in their state.

Leaf cab chassis - GVM 3900kg. Travel ready we are around 3700/3800kg including 2 people, full fuel tanks (180 litres) full water tanks (around 200 litres) 3 x 120Ah batteries, roof full of solar, two fridge freezers on slides, two spares, Food, clothes spares etc, canopy, bullbar & winch & towball weight of Tvan. For more remote trips when we need to carry extra fuel in jerries we'll be close to the GVM, but that wont be very often or for long, & we may just carry less water to compensate for the extra fuel.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

POSTIE (12th August 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12