Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sup from Western Sydney

Hey Peeps,

Pretty excited to find this forum, been looking for some 4WD forums but this one seems pretty active which is good.

Im not really apart of this whole crew yet as I'm still yet to buy my first 4WD.
    (not unfamiliar with cars mostly old carbie models, but a newbie with diesel and 4WDs)

But now Im on the market for one now and keen to get into it. Definitely want a Patrol, definitely want diesel, something early 2000's to get me started.

Bit scared about all this "3.0L grenade" talk i see on other forums and online but would love some help to ensure i dont end up with a lemon. Any insight/help on which is preferable whether the 2.8L, 3.0 or 4.2 etc....

I just signed up so im about to start going through some threads/posts now but looking forward to hearing from anyone.

Peace
    Dick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome Dick. Re the 3 ltr, you will get many and varied opinions as you will get on other forums. I have one, it is a 2005 model and it has 250k km and no issue. Plenty of others have blown up with and without mods. My fallback is that people that don't have a problem seldom write it on forums. Those that do have a grenade just add their report to the "another one" pile and it get gets bigger and bigger. Good luck.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks 4bye4,

Yeah i see a lot of 3.0L's for sale with over 300K on them. From what ive gathered so far they're not bad motors and a lot of people have good things to say about them, just a number of them blow up hahaha.
    Dont quote me but i read the GU II & III are the worse of them?

Essentially i'm after a comfy daily (i have a spare car incase of breakdowns but a patrol would be me designated daily) with some occasional adventures.

Being a noob im just not familiar yet of the ins and outs of whats good and whats not regarding Patrols and 4WDs in general.

I was looking at a 2003 Patrol 3.0L Turbo Diesel with nearly 300K, Thats kinda the the gist of what im looking at.

1st Question: Whats your(or anyones) first opinion of that? if its Holy $Hi+ thats scary/stay away i'd like to know hahaha

My last question: Would it be better to aim for a older model(mid-late 90s) with less km, with a 2.8L Turbo, or 4.2L?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum. Where you from?

Do you want a ute or a wagon? Is there just you, or more passengers that you'll have to carry? Is it gunna be your daily driver, or pure pleasure? lol.

Do you want it for camping or extreme driving?

What ever you decide, separate your wants versus needs. Buying the troll is the cheap part. It's all the accessories that will cost.

Be prepared to pay for fuel, whether it be diesel, petrol, or gas.

Above all, keep it legal. You'll sleep better at night and not live in fear of being 'canarried' every time you hit the road, or gravel, or mud.

BTW, I've got the 4.2 TDi and love it. Rarely go off bitumen, but am progressing. lol.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 12th January 2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post

Rarely go off bitumen, but am progressing. lol.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    We offered sand this weekend but ya not coming. Back to thread LOL
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey DX Grunt,

Im from Liverpool area but venture a bit around westerns sydney including North Richmond/Windsor all the way down to Ctown

Im not after a ute or Cab Chassis, definitely after the Wagon version that can have the extra seats to fit 7 though i wont need them often as it will mostly just be me and my girlfriend, I prefer the shape and the enclosed boot space of the wagons in all honesty.

I'll want it for occasional camping and as a daily, i dont intend to do what i would consider extreme driving, just the fun little stuff you cant do in a commodore and will come in handy on snow trips on those pesky icy roads.

I understand fuel consumption. Im sure my last daily was thirstier.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DickieO For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (12th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate, you may get more responses to questions if you ask them in a different area as a lot of members don't read the intros.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate. Good luck with the search. I have always wanted the right Patrol also. Something older, with little k's as possible, so that if it goes into the side of a tree I wouldn't cry over it. I found a 2004 3.0 TDI with 160 thousand approx 2 months ago. The way I see it, look after the engine and it will look after you. All the best

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate. As 4bye4 said, it's the people that have the problems that write about it and the people that have a clear run that keep it to themselves. The 3.0 models can get the N.A.D.S. kit which is a type of bulletproofing for the engine. Good luck with your search.
    1989 GQ TD42 N/A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast