Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade GQ to GU for towing - thinking petrol - advice please

Hi all
    Thinking of moving from 4.2 Diesel GQ to a GU for towing caravan. Talking long distance, say 8 months each year, top-end WA, Qld and so on.
    Haven't got van yet but likely off-road job maybe close to 2.5T ATM. Ball weight could be 200-250kg too.
    I'm thinking petrol but not sure 4.5 or 4.8. Auto would be nice and preferred as getting to my mid 60s now, but manual OK. Obviously fuel consumption and hence capacity would need to be enough for 6-800km. Not too keen to carry lots of jerries with petrol. Would also be looking to keep car as most likely the last I'll buy. Must be reliable.
    I see that either engine size has early ones available often sub 300,000km in sub $10,000 range which would suit budget beautifully.
    Looking for all advice, comments, suggestions. Also thought GU was rated to tow 3500 but most adds I've seen say 3140 (odd number) or only 2500 so would like that clarified too.

Thanks in advance everyone, Monty
    (I think I might have asked a year or so ago about 4.5 v 4.8 but couldn't find it, so apologies for that).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you must have petrol then the 4.8 is a no brainer. But you can get a td42 in a gu that will be better for distance towing in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I have driven s 4.8 but if both stock then a 4.8over a 4.2 For towing. As far as I know. One thing you said was must be reliable! Well you can't go past a td42 and how simple they are, they also tolerate less than perfect fuel, but I'm sure you already know this!
    Why not keep the gq? There rated to 2500 kg. whack a turbo on if nit already and away you go. Got a car that you know the history of and one that your familiar with.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know GU had diesel 4.2 in both NA and Turbo but like rocking horse poo in SA.
    I also know GQ rated at 2500kg but it has trouble pulling itself up the hills leaving Adelaide and with a trailer on the back it grinds away in 3rd or sometimes 2nd, temp rises, what a grind! I have absolutely no intention of putting turbo on GQ.

So what is the towing capacity of GU 4.8 auto and manual?
    For those that have crossed say Tanami or Gibb RR in a petrol vehicle, how did you go for fuel? Need jerries? Enough fill stations that you could reach easily? Any thoughts?
    cheers

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your gonna tow across the Tanami in a 4.8 the trailer better have a 44 gallon drum on it full of fuel. Haha. The td42 just needs a tickle to get it up and going.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tow capacity of the 4.8 auto is 3.5t. Yes they are thirsty. But I have had far worse mileage from other vehicles (namely a 3.0l V6 Delica) Plenty has been written about fuel consumption for the tb48. Personally I find it liveable but thats me. I also dont feel like shelling out extra $$$$$ for a TD42 . The price difference pays for a whole lotta fuel

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike02Ti For This Useful Post:

mudski (12th January 2017), threedogs (14th January 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.
    Haven't made up the mind yet, but I'm thinking maybe I do the Tanami etc with the GQ, and having ticked that off, maybe consider GU after that for the, shall we say easier, trips. Might be the way to go.
    Cheers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I know GU had diesel 4.2 in both NA and Turbo but like rocking horse poo in SA.
    I also know GQ rated at 2500kg but it has trouble pulling itself up the hills leaving Adelaide and with a trailer on the back it grinds away in 3rd or sometimes 2nd, temp rises, what a grind! I have absolutely no intention of putting turbo on GQ.

So what is the towing capacity of GU 4.8 auto and manual?
    For those that have crossed say Tanami or Gibb RR in a petrol vehicle, how did you go for fuel? Need jerries? Enough fill stations that you could reach easily? Any thoughts?
    cheers
    I fitted a Denco turbo to my GQ 4.2 and it went like a scalded cat. The only regret I have is I sold it to buy a GU.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You may also require the rear shock towers to be strengthened,
    maybe even a larger radiator..
    Try and buy a trailer that will be well under your max limit,,,
    way to much stress on all component otherwise,,,
    Might want to look at either a long range main tank replacement
    or a 75 AUX tank, lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi threedogs,
    Would hope that next caravan will be max ATM 2000-2200kg. Just a couple of months before Christmas, car got all bushes replaced, ARB springs and shocks to suit towing in remote rough country, plus has air bags in rear springs. Also got a new radiator (and clutch) a couple of years ago before I started towing, but a bigger capacity one would be looked at. Not sure about long range tanks. If I went petrol that would be a given. GQ isn't too thirsty even towing plus Tvan can carry 6 x 20 jerries if necessary (it has 108lt water standard). So good for current job. When Tvan goes and I move on to off-road caravan that's when I need to decide on GQ v GU.
    cheers