Thread: GU Wagon GVM Upgrade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Stevec,

do you know what the actual front and rear spring rates are in lb/inch for your installation? I am trying to build a case for my suspension ratification in Victoria.

thanks is advance,
    Phil
    Sorry mate I didn't get the actual spring rates from them. She doesn't ride as harsh as my NW Pajero and I've got 1250lb variable rate rear coils in the Paj, so I assume these are somewhere south of that

I finally picked her up today! They have also changed the side indicators over to some larger ones, which is a bit of overkill, and I note the category has changed from MC to NB1 (for vehicles over 3.5t) I then drove her straight to the tyre shop and changed out the tyres for some Mickey T ATZ P3's in 285/70/17. There is some rubbing of the mudflaps I noticed on full lock in reverse, so I'll sort that out ASAP and remove or trim them.

I've only had it a few hours and I'll be taking it back already unfortunately! Looks like they have stuffed up the install of the Eclipse SatNav. It doesn't matter if I am stopped with the handbrake on etc, I can't access most of the menu functions for navigation or Bluetooth etc. Pretty useless having a satnav I cant put an address in! I'll get on to them in the morning, other than that I'm loving it so far!

Last edited by stevemc181; 1st February 2017 at 12:34 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (1st February 2017), Clunk (1st February 2017), Hodge (1st February 2017), PeeBee (1st February 2017), threedogs (3rd February 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    Sorry mate I didn't get the actual spring rates from them. She doesn't ride as harsh as my NW Pajero and I've got 1250lb variable rate rear coils in the Paj, so I assume these are somewhere south of that

I finally picked her up today! They have also changed the side indicators over to some larger ones, which is a bit of overkill, and I note the category has changed from MC to NB1 (for vehicles over 3.5t) I then drove her straight to the tyre shop and changed out the tyres for some Mickey T ATZ P3's in 285/70/17. There is some rubbing of the mudflaps I noticed on full lock in reverse, so I'll sort that out ASAP and remove or trim them.

I've only had it a few hours and I'll be taking it back already unfortunately! Looks like they have stuffed up the install of the Eclipse SatNav. It doesn't matter if I am stopped with the handbrake on etc, I can't access most of the menu functions for navigation or Bluetooth etc. Pretty useless having a satnav I cant put an address in! I'll get on to them in the morning, other than that I'm loving it so far!

Thanks Steve,

there appears to be 2 different ways of presenting spring rates, the 'engineering lb/inch method, which can be equated to a formula, and the kg rating more for the mug punter who comes along and says I have this fridge and bullbar and battery and winch etc, so the sales guy totals it up quickly and offers a spring that will either cater for that load all the time, being the constant rate spring or offers a variable rate spring for the guy who converts from mum's taxi to weekend warrior and bolts the junk on and off.

If you do get a chance to ask I would be really keen to find out. My nightmare continues with converting the WA GVM to Victorian regs and I need to have some comparative data to at least put a counter argument to the VASS engineer. Right now I have 100kg constant load coils in the front with a nominal 3" lift before loading. this drops to 2" when the load on the front comes down, then have 400kg constant rate coils 3" lift that comes down to 40mm above standard. I balance this out with BOSS airbags working between the rear axle and chassis. the rear shocker towers are fitted with the Superior strengthening kit, plus ties together from tower to tower - nothing is going anywhere.

Car looks great by the way, nice and understated.

Phil

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Thanks Steve,

If you do get a chance to ask I would be really keen to find out.

Phil
    You should be able to call into any Pedders store over there and find out.
    The part numbers for the coils used are as below.

7753L Pedders Trakryder Coil Spring
    7753R Pedders Trakryder Coil Spring
    7762L Pedders Trakryder Coil Spring
    7762R Pedders Trakryder Coil Spring

Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (1st February 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, spring rates are 302lb/inch for the 7753 L/R and 330lb/inch for the 7762 L/R.

I have 320lb/inch on the front and 340lb/inch on the rears so am in the ballpark. My upgrade is for 3300kg, being assessed on Monday Feb 13.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (1st February 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the pedders kit post rego in QLD. rides nicer than the dobinsons heavy duty it that was in it.

Longevity and quality, time will tell. I just wish they used a 2" spring. it only raised the vehicle 30mm or so in the front and 40mm in the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EFIwindsor View Post
    I have the pedders kit post rego in QLD. rides nicer than the dobinsons heavy duty it that was in it.

Longevity and quality, time will tell. I just wish they used a 2" spring. it only raised the vehicle 30mm or so in the front and 40mm in the back.
    Mine gave me a 55mm lift in the front and 45mm in the rear, although I expect it will settle a bit. She will also drop further once I start loading her up with the gear. Like you, I am unsure of the pedders gear, as I have never used it, we can only hope it lasts the test of time. My use is mainly touring type stuff/desert work and the most trying thing about this is lengthy sections of corrugations.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Does this in anyway effect your rego price seeing you are
    now in a different catergory??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Does this in anyway effect your rego price seeing you are
    now in a different catergory??

I've got no idea, the papers I received from the dealer didn't have anything scary apart from the stamp duty on them. I bought it with on road costs included and think the dealer would have mentioned if the rego was dearer.

I've attached a couple of pics below of the diff lamination, this is required if you want a GVM upgrade higher then the factory axle limits.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (3rd February 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say the 'factory axle limits', where are these published or how are they established? I am asking specifically as the VASS engineer who certified my engine conversion, but refused to ratify the GVM Upgrade docs ex WA said he wanted a valid brake test, plus axle load strength data, but could not find it. Just curious, as I am now heading to a different VASS engineer for the GVM upgrade and he hasn't mentioned this. my upgrade is to 3300, not 3500. I am after these values for a 1997 GQ patrol.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jury is out on the Dobinson coils as well. the rears appeared to sag after a short period, however I found out later they were simply overloaded - when I took the hevy stuff out they rose to original and then more or less maintained that level with a more reasonable load. The fronts are sitting well and the vehicle rides and tracks fine - again, like you, time will tell.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast