Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GU Wagon GVM Upgrade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Wagon GVM Upgrade

Well my finance etc is all approved so I'll be picking up my new GU Y61 Legend series in the next couple of weeks, Yayyyyy!

Meanwhile, I've been tracking down info on the possible GVM Upgrades that are available in WA and have discovered that there has been a recent crackdown by the authorities on some of the GVM increases going above the axle limits for a combined 3300Kg max increase available. several shops as well some mates from ARB have confirmed that there has been some notification from the authorities in December regarding this.
    Unless I am prepared to pay the additional and have the diff laminated and the strength analysis done, then 3300kg is it for most shops.

Pedders have a pre-rego kit available that will allow 3505kg's and includes rear coil tower braces and also rear diff lamination, this will be around the $3700 mark fitted and includes the mod plates, this is the drive in/drive out price for the GVM upgrade. This kit allows an increase to 1945Kg on the rear axle and 1560kg on the front axle. I can't argue the Pedders price as most shops wanted similar or more money for the 3300kg upgrade without the tower braces or diff lamination.

I can't say I have ever used Pedders gear and I am aware of the bad reports regarding some of the stores trading practices. But there aren't too many options out there, so I'll give them a go. The pic below is my tally of shocks and coils from the Canning Stock Route in my Pajero last year.

In the pic below: One of the Bilsteins and one of the OME Nitro chargers at least got me home. The OME's and Dobinsons MRR were all replaced under warranty and the Bilsteins already had 100'000 hard km's on them, so they were due for retirement anyway. I'll be interested to see how the Pedders Trakryders hold up and assume the live axle will probably be a little less brutal on them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe the Pedders kit is what is used by Telstra for their wagons. @GUwesty has the pedder kit.

The only time you can really do the GVM upgrade is pre-delivery prior to first rego. There is a thread on the forum in the vendors section somewhere that lists the kits specifically.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm on my iPhone so I'm a little restricted but here is a thread with a couple of other threads linked.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...hlight=upgrade
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I believe the Pedders kit is what is used by Telstra for their wagons. @GUwesty has the pedder kit.

The only time you can really do the GVM upgrade is pre-delivery prior to first rego. There is a thread on the forum in the vendors section somewhere that lists the kits specifically.
    There are quite a few shops over here that offer the kits and used to do up to 3500kg post rego, but as mentioned that has all changed in WA from December 2016 due to the authorities chucking a spaz about most of them exceeding the axle limits. So most only offer 3300kg kits now and Pedders is the only one I could find who have done the necessary engineering and do the required diff housing and coil tower mods to achieve 3505kg. I've pulled the trigger on it now and getting the Pedders GVM Upgrade done. I guess time will tell if it performs ok.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I'm on my iPhone so I'm a little restricted but here is a thread with a couple of other threads linked.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...hlight=upgrade
    Yep, I'd read most of the threads on here and elsewhere. A lot of it seems to be relevant to the utes only and I can only find a few references to late model GU Wagons. But thanks for the links, I am all sorted now, just getting a bit of info up there for anyone else searching in the Perth area.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a call from Pedders. The GVM Upgrade can only be applied to the 5 seaters, so they need to remove the 3rd row and belts. Doesn't worry me as I will have drawers fitted anyway, but may be relevant to anyone intending on upgrading a 7 seater.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had pedders suspension gear on my Ute when I bought it I have left it there but would I go and buy myself? No.

I have found they have used Neoprene bushes in the Panhard and I am suspecting that other components will also have the same. Just my $0.02
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    Having had pedders suspension gear on my Ute when I bought it I have left it there but would I go and buy myself? No.

I have found they have used Neoprene bushes in the Panhard and I am suspecting that other components will also have the same. Just my $0.02
    Cheers, I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place if I want the 3505kg though, so I'll risk it and see it how their gear goes. I've heard of a few with no complaints on the Pedders and some have been running it for years. Anyway the deal is struck, so I'm committed now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to note on this thread for anyone searching. I've also elected to go with Castor correction bushes (Rubber) and an adjustable draglink. These are not absolutely necessary for the small lift, but recommended. This brings the total cost of this GVM Upgrade/Lift to $4464.00 done and dusted.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey steve.
    Mine went threw state wide 4x4 in vic but is taken to 3495.
    Something to do with axle loading and tyre ratings etc..
    But yes, my towers are braced with the superior kit, axle is laminated and lovels custom kit used..

But..
    Youll want it loaded all the time if going an off the shelf kit..
    Ours is around 2.9-3T daily and by geese it was like driving a brick...
    To the point of nearly dangerous on our crappy roads down here..
    I had it drifting across the lane on a corner at 110 due to the bumps..

So i now have a different setup.
    Gone standard springs and air bags.. The kevlar bags are rated for 500kg.
    If we go on a solo trip ill drop the heavier springs in again..
    Ive heard $4000 is the cost from statewide..
    I guess they dont have much compitition so charge what they like..

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast