Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler fan yes or no ?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When do most vehicles overheat? Stop/start traffic. Loading up generates the heat, then stop and you lose the airflow to get rid of the heat. Not just the airflow through the radiator and intercooler but also engine bay. I remember a friend had an early EXA turbo and kept destroying turbos every 12 months. After the 3rd one he found out that there was a problem with his thermo fan timer. It was supposed to run for 10 minutes after shutdown to keep airflow in the engine bay. His didn't and gradually killed the turbo.
    Any cooling when stopped will help.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Have you ever crawled up a very steep long hill in the high country or somewhere John? In low range? EGT's will creep up there easily.
    Yes Ive been up many long steep hills in the high country in low range,
    but in a double diff locked 350 chev troopy @ 1200 rpm
    Last edited by threedogs; 14th January 2017 at 03:02 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Erm IC temps inhibit egt temps ... So the lower the intake temps the better your egts are ... So yes there is benefit .

Sent from S5
    ICs dont really inhibit EGTs. Your not wrong in what you are saying though. The turbo compresses air making it more dense, so more air means we can put more fuel in which equals more power and torque etc. Now when the turbo compresses the air it heats up so we put it through an intercooler which in turn brings the temps down increasing density once again. More air will then equate to leaner afrs and lower egts.

The ic efficiency wont change. Placing a fan on will help to reduce heat soak which top mount intercoolers are plagued with. This is where better quality cores come into their own as they can get rid of heat soak quicker. Remember the cooler is just a heat exchanger, if air flow is poor the exchange is low just like any other cooling system.

The problems with the fans that are fitted to most cc coolers or most top mount coolers are they arent up to the task for prolonged periods they simply do not move enough volume of air to keep the heat soak away. Its a double edged sword though as you simply can not fit a fan of sufficient output under the ic.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons- our radiators run a fan to pull max air for cooling at all speeds so why would a fan on an intercooler be different? Even at highway speeds, I doubt the standard scoop would collect the max air that could be pushed through, so a fan should help as long as it has correct pitch. A variable pitch as on aeroplanes would be ideal but at what cost?
    I remember my mother used to have a cheap chinese cooling fan that made a lot of noise and spun quickly at max speed but hardly moved any air because of shape of the blades.
    The difference between engine driven fans and the tiny little fan under most ics is huge. Not even the best of 12/24v fans can come close to the output of an engine driven fan.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    ICs dont really inhibit EGTs. Your not wrong in what you are saying though. The turbo compresses air making it more dense, so more air means we can put more fuel in which equals more power and torque etc. Now when the turbo compresses the air it heats up so we put it through an intercooler which in turn brings the temps down increasing density once again. More air will then equate to leaner afrs and lower egts.
    I think I chose the wrong word to use. "Help" instead of inhibit would have been much more suitable. lol But I understand what you're saying.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I chose the wrong word to use. "Help" instead of inhibit would have been much more suitable. lol But I understand what you're saying.
    Im not having a dig or anything mate. I know you are up for the info so just quoted you. I am on my phone and dont really enjoy writing all this on these tiny screens.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

FNqGu04 (14th January 2017), Hodge (14th January 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    The difference between engine driven fans and the tiny little fan under most ics is huge. Not even the best of 12/24v fans can come close to the output of an engine driven fan.
    Agree entirely. I only wish I could get the air to flow through all of the intercooler instead of back half only, as in photo in my earlier post.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wizard2
    You might need one of those ARE scoops that 3D reckons are the ducks nuts .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FNqGu04 For This Useful Post:

Wizard52 (16th January 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've removed mine (fan) from CC intercooler as it was just being shaken in to destruction (its a Di thing intercooler mounted on the engine unlike on TD and CrD mounted on the cross bars to the body) and the last thing I wanted the fan blades destroying the intercooler as they'd fly off broken.

Apart from the noise when stationary at the lights I haven't noticed any effects on anything be it performance or EGTs down what not.

If you want to reduce EGTs and at the same time increase power go for Water/Meth injection instead.

Regards

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast