Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchasing a Nissan GQ RB30 1993 Carburetted

Hello everyone

Me and my friends are looking at a 1993 RB30 Nissan GQ, we left on a road trip a few days ago but our van shat itself and we were gonna head back but I happened to be talking to a couple at a servo who are looking to get rid of their GQ in the next few days, and they want to sell it with all the camping stuff + bed included.

Anyway, pro's
    Rebuilt transmission with a 1 year Australia wide warranty, done only 1000kms ago.
    New clutch
    New rear suspension
    New air con
    Parasale
    Top basket
    2" lift
    Muddies
    Front led spots
    New Front arm bushes
    New engine mounts
    New sway bar bushes
    3l engine, better fuel economy (how heavy are these cars?)
    Serviced at 298,000 and 306,000km
    309,000kms total
    5 speed manual

Cons
    RB30, a little weak
    Carburetted (will stall on sharp hills)
    That's about it?
    309,000kms total

We're looking at between $5500 and $6500

Please let me know if I should look for anything or if it sounds like a good deal. It's a Rex hunt edition.

Thank you ❤
    Last edited by lopugq; 24th January 2017 at 09:36 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, price sounds a little high to me. That said sounds like it's had some work on it. Really depends on whether you want to do any work to the car or just get in and drive, but for a couple thousand more you'd be in td42 territory.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

dom14 (24th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello, and welcome to the forum. There is plenty of info here about the RB30. I have used the Patrol in the Otways, the hills to the east of Tallarook, Ben Nevis / Mt Cole and plenty of large sand dunes, and have yet to encounter a fuel starvation stall. I have not driven in the Alpine region yet though.
    My Rb30 has taken me everywhere that the 4.2s on the trips have been. Add to the cons that the gearbox is of lighter construction, and first gear is too tall for really tough terrain so you lose some low down torque. Also the RB30 runs a timing belt that needs to be changed every 80000-100000 kms. The RB30 is not good for towing a large load either. The Pros are the RB30 has a bigger rev range than the TB42 and TD42, so is way better on sand, in my humble opinion. With a few basic mods I have raised the output power to around 80kw at approximately 13.8 l/100kms highway driving.
    The RB30 was an EFI engine in the Skyline and Commodore and is easily converted and will accept a turbo as well.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Helpful-Hints
    Last edited by mudnut; 24th January 2017 at 03:07 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (24th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price sounds bit high for an RB30 in general, but yours has been through some work, particularly the tranny rebuild, etc. If the paperwork is there to prove it and it comes with the camping gear mentioned. Don't particularly count on the fuel economy though. When you need to grunt it a bit to get the power, fuel economy might be on par with TB42 EFI.
    As mudnut said, RB30 has the added advantage of cheaper EFI conversion using Skyline, VL Commodore engines, as well as cheaper turbo conversion comparing to TB42, TD42s. RB30 is not suitable for heavy towing, even with a turbo conversion afaik. Light camper is ok.
    I tow an11 footer camper & it only struggle up steep hills, where I need to rev the engine bit harder. Other than it's fine. RB30 is a high rev capable engine, so it's ok. Again it's up to to if you wanna pay that much, and it all depends on the particular vehicle. I prefer to pay around 4k even with that stuff done to it. I paid 5.5k for mine, but that was years ago and I still paid too much.
    Last edited by dom14; 25th January 2017 at 08:16 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't say too much on the price, I paid too much for mine, but it was so clean when I got it. I have owned my RB30 GQ for about 2 and a half years now. Goes everywhere my mates various model Fourbies do, and sometimes places certain ones can't. Agree with others on no heavy towing, just doesn't have the torque, but light trailer is fine in my experience. Other than routine maintenance and improvements mine has proven itself (touch wood) to be very reliable, even when a long way from home in very hot weather. (I am fussy about proper maintenance though).

I have done some very steep hills in it now and personally never had fuel starvation stalling issues. Since adding a rebuilt Carbie and refreshing the ignition it generally has no problem holding highway speed and accelerates well too, and that's with a heavy load of fuel and water and camping gear etc. goes great on sand, although often I will shift into low before mates diesel and bigger petrol engines have to. It is a short stroke motor with biggish bores so absolutely expect to rev it harder than the bigger motors but in my own experience it will generally be fine then. I did Calcup hill with no problems (just dialled up 4000rpm in second low), which the WA blokes will know is a decent sand climb.

I love mine and have no plans to change it. I will say though since the new Carbie's main was rejetted for more power it has totally changed its performance (sounds awesome above 4000 revs), but fuel economy is a veeeerrrrry distant memory.... Drinks worse than I do 😉, but mine is also lifted, has a tallish roof rack and is fairly heavy.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...